Week one

I have started a week ago logging the food I eat, it shows that I should lose weight however I am actually gaining weight. Is that normal ?
I am eating mostly below the total calories goal.
Also due to my schedule the largest meal for me is dinner time would that affect as well?

Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Did you read the stickies at the top of the Getting Started board? Good info there.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    How accurately are you logging?
    How often and how much is 'mostly'?

Firstly 1 week isn't long enough to really know what's going on but if you're gaining weight you're almost certainly eating more than you think you are. Opening your diary will get you the most constructive feedback from fellow members

To your final point. No, food can't tell time so when you eat is completely irrelevant.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    This is a marathon and you’ve taken the first step. Relax, eat below your calorie goal, be honest with yourself and weigh your portions and log everything. Also, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? If you only have 20 pounds to lose it will probably go very slowly. Hang in there and trust the process. It’ll work for you.
  • engmb90
    engmb90 Posts: 3 Member
    Before logging food to MFP I did a detox for three weeks and lost 10pounds, I know I need another 10 to be in the healthy range of the BMI.
    I changed some food in my detox, like adding dairy products and some coffee and still I am not eating bread or rice the only carbohydrates are potatoes and oatmeal. Even with these changes I still have less than or equal to 1200 calories, yesterday was the only day that I exceeded the limit ( I was eating out of frustration and stress) and only I exceeded the 12000 by about 300 calories.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Unless you are in recovery or you poisoned yourself you were not in detox. That is a diet myth. In the 10 lbs you lost some of it was water which means it can come back as easily as it left. With only 10 lbs to your goal weight you need to lose about a half a pound a week to lose safely. This is only a 250 calorie deficit so logging accurately will be extremely important and this will usually require a food scale.

It will come off very slow so be patient.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2018
    Danp wrote: »
    How accurately are you logging?
    How often and how much is 'mostly'?

Firstly 1 week isn't long enough to really know what's going on but if you're gaining weight you're almost certainly eating more than you think you are. Opening your diary will get you the most constructive feedback from fellow members

To your final point. No, food can't tell time so when you eat is completely irrelevant.

You're correct on the bold. But the part after that contradicts your statement. Logging correctly is important of course. However, you can't say, based on one week, that OP is gaining weight because he/she is eating more than he/she thinks - because you can't know whether his/her gain is from fluid or fat.

Further, the OP has said that he/she is within 10 pounds of goal. That means it'll be several weeks - like 8 weeks or more - before any logging problems would reveal themselves because of the amplitude of the fluctuations are going to be quite a bit higher than the weight loss rate goal in a given week or two.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    So you did a detox right before MFP? Most likely you are gaining some of the water weight you lost during your detox back.

• engmb90
    engmb90 Posts: 3 Member
    I was worried about the detox fast weight drop and that’s why I started logging and monitoring food through MFP. This is helping me since I am a phd student and life is busy and stressful that previously I ate food full of sugar to give me energy and release the stress, I am still tempted but with MFP I am more aware of what it and I try to find healthier alternatives.

Thanks again for all your inputs