Most effective core exercises

Options
2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Ab wheels huh? Like the little wheels with the handle that your roll around on the ground? Interesting. They seem gimicy.

They pretty much are. But they do certainly work your abs. I picked one up at a thrift store for a dollar one weekend. Took it home, used it once, and put it away. Next day my abs were more sore than they ever got doing what I normally do. I could hardly stand up straight lol. Anyway, I tossed it in the corner and ended up giving it to someone and went back to what I was doing but it certainly worked my ab and back muscles in a different way. Time would only tell if it was better or not, and I did not give it any serious time for it to work. I was honestly surprised how sore it made me in one workout.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Ab wheels huh? Like the little wheels with the handle that your roll around on the ground? Interesting. They seem gimicy.

Totally not gimmicky. One of the best little tools around. It looks deceptively easy, but it's actually quite hard if don't already have a strong core. And you have to be careful, because it's very easy to hurt your back if you let it arch.

Jeff Cavaliere at AthleanX has a great tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uK5TPzHq8
  • RedneckDentist
    RedneckDentist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    anyone ever try legendary abs? i always loved that one. actually i have both I and II in digital format, if anyone wanted to try it i could email it...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Not gimmicky at all...it looks like a not serious piece of workout equipment, but it most definitely is highly effective. Basically rolling out into a plank and back again.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of ab focused Pilates.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Not gimmicky at all, the ab carver pro has a spring in it that provides resistance both out & in. Roll it forward & curve it left & right for the obliques. Then if you think it's easy, try it from a standing position instead of kneeling. That is brutal.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Dragon Fly

You mean dragon flags? I was just about to recommend them as among the very best core exercises ever.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    They are far from gimmicky. For best results, stretch out as far as you possibly can. Also, if you can manage it, keep your toes on the ground instead of your knees.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I've been doing four days a week strength training (A Workout Routine program) with 15-20 minutes light cardio, plus one or two days of regular cardio for about 30 minutes. On the cardio only days, I'd like to add in some ab/lower back exercises. I'm doing planks right now, edging my way up 10 seconds every two or three days. But I'd like to more... Maybe just a 5-10 minute routine.

What do you guys think are the most effective ab exercises? My that, I mean which ones hit more muscles.
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I incorporated an an routine from AthleneX, it's pretty brutal, but effective and requires no equipment.

Seconding this suggestion: Athlean-X has a Smartphone App called "6-PAck Challenge". It's a great design and the workouts take no more than 6 minutes each. A great challenge and worth a look!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Attempt a standing rollrollout and in and you will change your mind instantly.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

Totally not gimmicky. One of the best little tools around. It looks deceptively easy, but it's actually quite hard if don't already have a strong core. And you have to be careful, because it's very easy to hurt your back if you let it arch.

Jeff Cavaliere at AthleanX has a great tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uK5TPzHq8

He has a tutorial for an ad routine that requires ZERO equipment. I do that (well, partially - can't complete the sets/reps, yet, but I'm getting there), it's not easy but it is definitely working.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Dragon Fly

You mean dragon flags? I was just about to recommend them as among the very best core exercises ever.

<-- I'd second them as great core builders too. 😉