Protein Intake for Vegan

Options
momochris
momochris Posts: 11 Member
I am a young, active 59 year old (ok maybe young thinking, chronologically old is more like it...LOL!). I am 5'5" and my weight has crept up in the last 6 months to 130. I'd prefer it to be in the low 120 range. I started going to a personal trainer and he advised 1620 calories per day, 114 grams of carbs, 81 grams of fat and 159 grams of protein. I can easily keep the fat count down as a vegan, but how can I possibly get 159 grams of protein without a daily intake of tons of protein powder? 114 grams of carbs isn't easy either since I eat whole grains, beans, and veggies, but the protein is what has me stumped. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks!

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Keep the personal trainer for workouts and see a dietitian or nutritionist or just do less calories in than out.

"The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average man. 46 grams per day for the average woman.Jun 8, 2017"

I use eggs, beans, nuts, tofu, peanut butter, fish, lentils and quinoa for protein sources. I am not vegetarian (yet) and just try to eat a healthy diet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    That is an unnecessarily high amount of protein. The standard rec is 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight. Even bro science usually says 1g per 1 lb. If you like eating a lot of protein, go for it, but there is no need to struggle to hit that number.

If you use the search function and search "vegan protein" I know there have been threads about that. I'm thinking edamame, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and lentils.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    Keep the personal trainer for workouts and see a dietitian or nutritionist or just do less calories in than out.

"The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound. This amounts to: 56 grams per day for the average man. 46 grams per day for the average woman.Jun 8, 2017"

I use eggs, beans, nuts, tofu, peanut butter, fish, lentils and quinoa for protein sources. I am not vegetarian (yet) and just try to eat a healthy diet.

Those numbers though are basically the minimum to avoid deficiency. For someone eating in a deficit, someone trying to build muscle, and for older people it's generally considered optimal to get more than that.
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In my opinion as a vegan personal trainer with a nutritional certification (I'm certainly not a dietitian) the average personal trainer has NO idea how to deal with vegans! Like none! We're like strange aliens who get get placed on Omni based macros over and over. They often forget that our whole food protein sources come paired with carbs, and that needs to be taken into account! I don't know about you, but I don't like feeling forced to have protein shakes or bars to hit crazy goals. I aim for 65-75g of protein a day as I lift weight, if you macros allow for more, great...but don't feel forced. Find what feels best for your body, and like others say see a nutritionist or dietitian if you want something more in depth. There are ton of resources to help you tweak your macros, but as other posters have said, its good to at least make sure you are hitting those minimums which is usually quite easy even being vegan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    159g protein is over the top excessive. All you would be doing is making expensive glucose. 1 gram per pound of your goal weight should be the max...and even then, it's pretty excessive...1 gram per Lb of LBM would be optimal...IMO, anything more than that is just excess and expensive.
  • momochris
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. The personal trainer had a sheet based on percentages and that is what came up. He said it was for muscle building/recovery. I am whole food plant based so my vegan choices are healthy, but there is no way I could get up to that much protein daily. When I focus on it, I am able to get between 75 and 85 grams. I tried a protein powder, but I don't like the bloated way it makes me feels. I definitely wouldn't do something like that 3 times a day to get my protein levels up ~ I don't think it is wrong for other people, but it's just not for me. I think maybe he thinks I want to be a body builder...LOL! I am just looking for some lean muscle definition and to lose 10 pounds!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    "A lot of these trainers just spout a bunch of bro-science when it comes to nutrition." ROFL

Just ask a bro-fessor or a lifestyle coach. How did our parents ever manage without all of that coaching and being led around by the nose. Oooo, I know. They learned to think for themselves.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    momochris wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses. The personal trainer had a sheet based on percentages and that is what came up. He said it was for muscle building/recovery. I am whole food plant based so my vegan choices are healthy, but there is no way I could get up to that much protein daily. When I focus on it, I am able to get between 75 and 85 grams. I tried a protein powder, but I don't like the bloated way it makes me feels. I definitely wouldn't do something like that 3 times a day to get my protein levels up ~ I don't think it is wrong for other people, but it's just not for me. I think maybe he thinks I want to be a body builder...LOL! I am just looking for some lean muscle definition and to lose 10 pounds!

I agree with all the others but when you said it made you feel bloated, some Vegan protein powders have Xanthan Gum (less and less these days but some still do). That would make anyone feel incredibly bloated and gassy. I stay away from that stuff and it really makes my wife sick. There are many good brands without it now (Sunwarrior, RawFusion -- my favorite, MRM which is another good one and Garden of Life are a few without it). Vega (some types) and Orgain have Xanthan Gum.
  • momochris
    Options

I agree with all the others but when you said it made you feel bloated, some Vegan protein powders have Xanthan Gum (less and less these days but some still do). That would make anyone feel incredibly bloated and gassy. I stay away from that stuff and it really makes my wife sick. There are many good brands without it now (Sunwarrior, RawFusion -- my favorite, MRM which is another good one and Garden of Life are a few without it). Vega (some types) and Orgain have Xanthan Gum.

Thank you for that information. I purchased Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Protein Powder Nutritional Booster with Chia and Probiotics ~ sweetened with monk fruit. I checked the back and there is no Xanthan Gum, but there are some other weird ingredients that may be causing an issue. I appreciate your suggestions for good brands as this one isn't for me!
  • momochris
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A lot of these trainers just spout a bunch of bro-science when it comes to nutrition. Even if you wanted to be a bodybuilder, 159 grams of protein would be excessive. My bodybuilding friends do 1 gram per Lb of LBM and no more...more than that doesn't really offer any kind of particular benefit.

Thanks!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Excess protein, I’m lucky to get 90g and I’m 146lb. Your protein need would be a bit less than mine. You want more than the RDA of 0.8 per kg of body weight but if you do the math that’s not anywhere near 1g per lb.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Excess protein, I’m lucky to get 90g and I’m 146lb. Your protein need would be a bit less than mine. You want more than the RDA of 0.8 per kg of body weight but if you do the math that’s not anywhere near 1g per lb.

It's (at most) per pound of healthy goal weight, anyway. We don't need extra protein if we have extra fat.

RDA of 0.8g/kg is for RDA for typical. There's decent evidence that we need more in calorie deficit, if athletically active, if not eating meat (because sources are less complete in essential amino acids) or when aging. A little extra won't hurt a healthy person: At worst it's an expensive source of calories.

As a 62 y/o active vegetarian in maintenance in the low 130s (best weight 120), l shoot for 100g mininum daily.I targeted 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight while losing, which is a little less. Vegans don't need less than anyone else - in fact maybe more for well-rounded amino acids. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!!! 39% of your calories from protein!? As has been said several times, i would not listen to a personal trainer about nutrition. That's like asking your dentist to fix your car.....
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Thank you for that information. I purchased Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Protein Powder Nutritional Booster with Chia and Probiotics ~ sweetened with monk fruit. I checked the back and there is no Xanthan Gum, but there are some other weird ingredients that may be causing an issue. I appreciate your suggestions for good brands as this one isn't for me!

That one had a ton of Inulin (Chicory Root). It said it has "probiotics" but Inulin would be a Prebiotic. It can also cause bloating/gas as well. I'm sure it was that in the ingredient mix. Could have also been the pea protein but less likely.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Due to bioavailability, vegans need a bit more protein (as do those older) but 1.0g/lb goal weight(ish) should more than cover it since exceeding 0.8g/lb is often not beneficial for omnis, at least for most of the population bell curve.

If consuming powder, I personally opt for pea/rice blends or another blend which fixes the very minor amino acid profile problems in plant protein. As long as you're not using a single food source for all your protein, amino acid profiles aren't very problematic (particularly at high total protein levels).

Layne Norton does suggest 1.5% more protein needed per year past 30 for equal muscle protein synthesis (I don't know the source for this particular number, sorry), so it's possible that this is the reason the recommendation from your trainer is so high.
  • CostaPe851
    CostaPe851 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eat sprouts; mung bean, broccoli seed, chickpea. Sprouting is key for plant-based nutrition
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @BecomingBane you're a vegan lifter, yes? Want to weigh in here?