Running shoe costs, is it worth it?

Options
I have a pair of black Asics that I use for jogging/walking. They are worn out and I went online to purchase a replacement pair. The shoe that I bought a few years back now costs $160. What????

Yes, I have liked these shoes. They have been good shoes for the duration that I have had them, but I'm just not sure I need to spend that much money.

You runners and joggers out there, do you find that you must spend more money to get a quality shoe? If you run frequently (3x per week or more) how often do you buy new shoes?

I purchased these 6 years ago, but only used them 3x per week or more during the first 3 years. After that I slacked off and got out of my running habit and haven't used them much since. If I replaced the shoes every 3 years that would be about $50 per year. Not too bad.

Thoughts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you run a lot then a good pair of runners is pretty invaluable. Have you been fitted for shoes and had your gait analyzed at a running store? It's possible that the Asics don't even fit your gait so it would be $160 down the drain. The runners I've bought at my local running store are typically around $120.

It really depends on how much running you plan to do. I rarely run these days..maybe a mile jog here and there or when I'm out of town and I use my old runners...if I ran more I'd definitely replace them. My wife runs quite a bit and she typically replaces hers every 6 months or so.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Asics are some of the more affordable running shoes. You can probably find them for cheaper in store. I get mine from Big 5, I think they are around $50.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i easily spend $100-$120 a pair of shoes - 2-3 times a year - each shoe nets me roughly 2-300 miles of running and i'll rotate them through to make them last longer
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I spend about 150$, 3 times a year, on running shoes. Never skimp on buying good shoes because having bad shoes can lead to food problems, knee problems, back problems and other nagging aches and pains. Shoes start to break down on the inside first so even if you think the tread on the bottom of the shoe looks okay, it could still be over-worn.
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting your feet analyzed FIRST! When I had mine checked, I am found to be overpronated which Asics have specific models for me. Doesn't matter what the price is, if it doesn't fit right then you are wasting your $$$. I had paid $$$ for Nikes and they never fit correctly and my feet were always sore so spending $100.00 or $300.00 is a waste if they don't fit to YOUR specific foot.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My last pair started at $120. (I've run in the same type of Nike for years for stability). I picked a not so favorite color - down to $100. Then found a coupon online. A steal at $80! I'm bummed I didn't think to buy 2.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have found that Mizuno Inspires work for me and I've had several pairs now. I look for deals online. They normally run $120, but I've found them at holabird, 6pm, and Amazon for $55-65. Once you're fitted properly, you can look for sales.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If cheap shoes( $15-$30)wouldn't have worn out so fast ( less than 20 miles per shoe), I wouldn't have to buy shoes in the $50-$70, I haven't tried most of the brands except Asics and they are durable.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I get Asics all the time at Kohls on sale. They are even more on sale with a 20 to 30% coupon. No, I'm not getting them fitted for my foot at a running boutique, but I know the brand fits my feet well. I normally rotate between 3 different pairs so they don't wear out as fast. I get my Asics for probably $40 to $70 a pair, depending on what kind of Kohl coupon I have.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a gait analysis. They will spend a lot of tine with you to find the right fit. Yes, the shoes will be expensive but I like to think of it as paying for the gait analysis. Once you know what you need and what type of shoe suits you, you can then find cheaper versions online. I usually look for the previous version of whatever is out now.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    YESSS, even if you aren't doing alot of running it can help quite a bit. I switched from running to walking/elliptical/spinning and my arches were beginning to get sore and hurt. Since I had given up on running I hadn't replaced my shoes in a while and when I did it solved all my foot problems!

My old shoes were still comfortable but the support was gone.

Now as long as I don't do too many errands in flip flops my feet are good!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well fitting running shoes are absolutely invaluable. I replace mine a few times a year. (300-400 miles)

The reason why you work with a local running store? Because they will help put you in what's right for your feet. I had been wearing 1 brand for years. The new version came out and when it was time to replace, I didn't think twice and ordered them online. Well, the company changed the design ever so slightly and I ended up with horrible blisters after a half marathon. Went to my local running store and was fitted into a different shoe with no problems.

I will ALWAYS work with a local store vs. doing it on my own.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, but once you have the first pair, start looking for deals, sales and discounts on "last year's model". you can get closer to $90-100 or better. I shop deals primarily. talk to the stores about when their sales come out (the one store I starting a running program with has two weeks where they clear out older models - terrific good shows at a great price)
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    They are absolutely worth the money, but I agree you could get a much better deal. I use Asics for running as well, I was fitted at a running shop the first time, and since then when I need a new pair I do a little research on similar shoes and search around for sales. I have had great success with Amazon, 6pm, and Eastbay, I can usally get them for about $60. My even Dad waits for the "new model" to come out and then buys himself 2 pairs of last years "model" while they are clearanced off so he basically gets two pairs for the price of one. I can go about two years between running shoes, but he's a marathon runner so buying multiple at a time is more convenient for him, either way there are tons of ways to get high quality for much cheaper than $150.