Keto help!!!

Options
I’m into week 3 of keto with no weight loss. I have read countless posts and blogs and took all the recommendations so I am very confident I’m following what I need to. Wondering if anyone didn’t see immediate results? Would love some encourage from those who maybe saw weight loss after the initial month?

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have been following the Ketogenic Lifestyle for a few months now....

So, some basic questions:

1. Are you in a caloric deficit?
    2. Are you logging your meals?
    3. Are you making sure that portion size is correct?

Because Keto is so fat-dominant if you are off with these foods you could potentially be comsuming hella more calories than you think! Salad Dressing is a big one. Nuts and seeds are also big ones.

Are you gaining weight? Or, are you maintaining?

Also, have you gone down the Intermittent Fasting path yet? I ask because lots of folks who do the Keto Diet also do IF. I do (used to be supere strict, have relaxed a bit on that).
  • beckera1
    beckera1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to follow the 16/8 IF rule. Ive tried bullet proof coffee, although I don't do it daily, depending upon what I will consume for the day. Ive done a gazillion calculators and the consensus has been 1328cals, 17g of carbs, 83g of protein and 103g of fat. I have been weighing and measuring. First week I ate WAY too much dairy and nuts. I have been trying to cut back on that. Im fairly active and exercise 4-5x/week. May be TMI but I have started spotting this month, as well as some pretty crazy sweating which I think may be symptoms of ketosis. For awhile my urine strips were dark, but last week or so they have been coming back light. I only have maybe 15lbs max I want to lose, but I would be happy with 10. I read so much about significant weight loss, I wonder if it has anything to do with slower weight loss when there's less to lose?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’ve never heard of sweating or spotting being symptoms of ketosis. :|

You do lose weight more slowly when you have less to lose, and frankly your calorie goal sounds suspiciously low for your size and lifestyle—any chance you’re trying to lose a little faster than makes sense for your body?

Anyway, the thing about slow weight loss is that there’s no one exact number that is Your Weight. Water retention from sodium or even exercise, undigested food, hormonal shifts, and so on can all cause your weight to fluctuate by up to five pounds in one day; if you’re only aiming to lose .5 per week the signal can easily get drowned out by the noise. If, for example, you’re expecting your period next week, you might have lost 1.5lbs while simultaneously being 3lbs bloated; that looks like a gain on the scale.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on at once, and the poster above me is right: most of what you’re describing isn’t necessary for weight loss. If you like these things and want to do them go for it, and if they help you stay in a caloric deficit that’s worth taking into account. But all that really matters at the end of the day is how much you eat versus how much you expend, so that’s where you should keep your focus.
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    beckera1 wrote: »
    I've been trying to follow the 16/8 IF rule. Ive tried bullet proof coffee, although I don't do it daily, depending upon what I will consume for the day. Ive done a gazillion calculators and the consensus has been 1328cals, 17g of carbs, 83g of protein and 103g of fat. I have been weighing and measuring. First week I ate WAY too much dairy and nuts. I have been trying to cut back on that. Im fairly active and exercise 4-5x/week. May be TMI but I have started spotting this month, as well as some pretty crazy sweating which I think may be symptoms of ketosis. For awhile my urine strips were dark, but last week or so they have been coming back light. I only have maybe 15lbs max I want to lose, but I would be happy with 10. I read so much about significant weight loss, I wonder if it has anything to do with slower weight loss when there's less to lose?

Sometimes too much protein can kick you out of keto, I don't know your exact stats so it's hard to say, but thats something to keep in mind. Also, stay SUPER hydrated. it sounds easy but you really want to make sure you are keeping yourself hydrated on keto or it can mess with your progress and general well being. I do think tracking is going to be really important for you for the first few weeks untill you get used to portion sized, it is SOOO easy to go over with nuts, nut butters, oils etc that you can totally kill your calorie deficit without even knowing it! Is 17g your net carbs? I aim for 25-30 net carbs a day and it works for me, I also get more fat...but my calories are higher. I would say play around with these things and see how it goes, good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that you might want to weigh your foods, even a small nut snack or whatever you add to coffee, to make sure you are eating the amount you think you are. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight and it is possible that you don't have enough of one.

If you are replacing sodium, or your hormones are slightly altered due to increased fat, it could be causing some water retention so you can't see the fat loss. If that is the case, you could have a whoosh at any time. Did you take before pictures or measurements? That might show progress where the scale hasn't. How are your clothes fitting?

Spotting is not a sign if ketosis but the extra fat can affect a woman's cycle - it usually ends up more regular within a couple of months. Spotting can also be a sign of cervical abnormalities so if it continues, you might want to get it checked.

Ketosis is not needed for weight loss. It's fun to check the ketostix but as your body gets used to ketosis, it will excrete/waste fewer ketones so the ketostix generally get lighter and lighter. After three years of ketosis, I generally test as negative or trace ketones, even on days when I gave eaten almost zero carbs.

Ketone readings will be lighter if you are properly hydrated too.

One is not kicked out of ketosis if you eat moderate protein. At the level of protein you are eating, it will be of no concern at all. Protein will only reduce ketones (not eliminate) if you are eating well over 200 g of protein a day. Gluconeogenesis is demand driven. If is not caused by protein supply.... It would be impossible for body builders, with lots of muscle, to achieve ketosis if that was the case. ;)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    beckera1 wrote: »

You depend too much on diets. Diets don't cause any direct weight loss. The only thing that guarantees weight loss is if you eat less calories than you burn per day. You don't even weigh your food based on those who have checked out your diary, that's the number 1 problem. Get yourself a food scale and start weighing your food. That should be your first step to fix your issue. After that, follow the advice the others have given you on this page.
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Make sure to increase your sodium intake while on the Keto Diet. I’d also recommend you take daily multivitamins, potassium pills, and magnesium pills.

Just like the others stated, make sure you set your macros to Keto settings. Hydrate throughout the day. Exercise helps with weight loss.

I’ve personally lost a significantly large amount of fat in the first month. But that was because I was really strict on my carb intake and ensured I worked out 6 days a week for 2 hours.
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    chekqued wrote: »
    the keto diet is one of the worst diets i've ever tried in my life. all seems well during the two weeks or so but then it's all downhill from there. not being able to eat fresh fruits and simple wholesome foods like rice and bread is really depressing AND (more than likely) unhealthy. all those animal products day in and day out cannot be good for you. my weight loss advice would be to limit consuming animal products (meat, eggs, milk) and processed foods, and to just eat fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrains and count calories and exercise 4-5 days per week.

I’m sorry that the Keto Diet didn’t work out for you. However, I don’t think you fully understand how Keto works and what you can and cannot eat. Also, it seems to me you prefer more of a vegetarian lifestyle instead.
  • AnshulChadha
    AnshulChadha Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Been on Keto for 6months now. Lost over 25kgs. I started with no sugar diet then low cabs then Atkins and then keto. Tried IF and OMAD as well. My takeaway : BE CAUTIOUS OF WHAT YOU EAT, HOW MUCH YOU EAT AND ENJOY WHAT YOU EAT. DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN MOUTH IF YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT.

Now a days I eat 3 keto meals per day. Per meal P:20-24gms F:30-40gms and net C:10-15gms from green veggies (3-4cups).

This is my 3rd body transformation journey. Lost BF 35% to 17% in 1 year with workout only once or twice a week. .

Corrected few conditions like Metabolic syndrome, hyperglucose, low thyroid, high BP and low BP, Insulin resistance, water retention in feet, High uric acid, high LDL and triglycerides, fatty liver.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    armymil87 wrote: »
    the keto diet is one of the worst diets i've ever tried in my life. all seems well during the two weeks or so but then it's all downhill from there. not being able to eat fresh fruits and simple wholesome foods like rice and bread is really depressing AND (more than likely) unhealthy. all those animal products day in and day out cannot be good for you. my weight loss advice would be to limit consuming animal products (meat, eggs, milk) and processed foods, and to just eat fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrains and count calories and exercise 4-5 days per week.

I’m sorry that the Keto Diet didn’t work out for you. However, I don’t think you fully understand how Keto works and what you can and cannot eat. Also, it seems to me you prefer more of a vegetarian lifestyle instead.

Rice, bread and many fresh fruits are all pretty much non-existent or severely limited in a keto diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, so you have less room for error than someone who has more to lose. It takes time, patience, and monitoring your diet precisely when you're that close to goal. Since fat is calorie-dense, errors made there can be greater that typical. Regardless of which diet you follow, in this case keto, you need to consistently eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight. Tighten up your logging and log every single thing you eat, even salad dressing, frying oil, cream in coffee, any butter you add, make sure the entries you use for your meats are correct (don't use a lean meat entry when you are eating a fattier meat)...etc. Using the food scale can help tremendously because a handful of nuts can have a large enough logging error to slow your loss to a crawl if you don't weigh it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    the keto diet is one of the worst diets i've ever tried in my life. all seems well during the first two weeks or so but then it's all downhill from there. not being able to eat fresh fruits and simple wholesome foods like rice and bread is really depressing AND (more than likely) unhealthy. all those animal products day in and day out cannot be good for you. my weight loss advice would be to limit consuming animal products (meat, eggs, milk) and processed foods, and to just eat fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrains and count calories and exercise 4-5 days per week.

Or you could even eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, whole grains and milk, eggs and meat. Seriously, as long as you are achieving your own goals while getting adequate nutrition then you are doing fine. Keto works for some, vegan works for some, a bit of everything in moderation works for some...... There are so many different ways to meet your nutritional needs. Just find the one that best suits you.