Plateau... How to get off of it?

Options
Hi! I'm doing a loose belt fat in 30 days workout and a Spartan workout but I seem to have hit a snag. With all the effort I'm putting in, the results have stopped. Thoughts, suggestions?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Stephanie, need more input! How long is this effort? Your height, weight, goal, are you male or female? How long have been stuck?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say since you just started logging the past two days. Log everything as accurately as possible (use a food scale to weigh everything if need be), and have some patience (if you started both of these workouts recently you're likely retaining water).
  • finalnull
    finalnull Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been doing the workouts just over a month. I'm male. 6'4". 221lbs. Is there a way I can post my profile info here? Didn't see it... But I just updated a ton of stuff so if you check it out it should be public. If not I'll post any other answers you need.
    Thanks!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost thus far?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The food intake is a bigger predictor of success. But I'm also wondering how much you've lost so far, as well as how long you've been stalled. Sometimes we get great initial results, and when that slows it feels like it's no longer working, when in reality, it might be time to adjust expectations.
  • finalnull
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lost 18lbs in about a month. Just started bike riding again hoping that would help out.
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey - I hit a plateau that lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't change anything up though and left my calorie and workout routine the same. My reasoning was that the weight I lost by the method that got me there wouldn't fail me and the plateau came and went. Belly fat is always the last to go! Keep at it you're doing great bud
  • finalnull
    Options
    finalnull wrote: »
    Lost 18lbs in about a month. Just started bike riding again hoping that would help out.
    Been doing the workouts just over a month. I'm male. 6'4". 221lbs. Is there a way I can post my profile info here? Didn't see it... But I just updated a ton of stuff so if you check it out it should be public. If not I'll post any other answers you need.
    Thanks!

theres no info on your profile? not sure what you think you have updated?

18lbs in one month is a massive amount when you don't really have that much to lose. how long since you lost any weight?

I was 240 about a month ago. Now as of today I'm 220 trying to get to 200. I updated the profile but I don't think anyone can see it unless you friend me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

18lbs in one month is a massive amount when you don't really have that much to lose. how long since you lost any weight?

I was 240 about a month ago. Now as of today I'm 220 trying to get to 200. I updated the profile but I don't think anyone can see it unless you friend me.

you should be aiming to lose 0.5lb to 1lb per week to avoid losing more muscle.

not sure why you think you're in a plateau if you have lost nearly 20lbs in a month?
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey brother how are you?
    A few things I can think of might be halting your progress.
    1. Too much weight lost too quickly. Your body is trying to preserve it's normal baseline and because you have lost too much too quick your cortisol levels are raised. This halts weight-loss (fat loss) and can actually lead to muscle wastage and weight gain (from fat). My advice is ditch the diet and eat normal for a week or two (a little weight gain is actually good here) help your body reset the baseline, lower your cortisol levels and have another crack at the diet. Just try to slow the weight loss down. Slow and steady is the key to permanent fat loss and body recoup.
    2. You are training too hard and not giving yourself adequate time for recovery. Again the cortisol issue... If your CNS (central nervous system) is taxed too much ie. training too hard or too little recovery time, cortisol skyrockets. Also if training especially hard, fast glycogen replacement (I use a tablespoon of dextrose) and fast protein uptake afterwards will significantly lower cortisol quite quickly.
    3. Sleep sleep sleep. 8 hours is OK but after serious weightlifting sessions 9-10 hours is great. A rough guide to check is to take your heart rate upon rising. 60 and below is perfect. But anything above 65-70 would indicate not enough sleep. (Pre-existing conditions and your level of fitness must also be considered here). Good sleep also lowers carb and sugar cravings substantially.
    4. Hydration.

I had the same issues mate. Went from 152kg to 130kg in 8 weeks then stalled out completely. Turns out it was the first point I mentioned. Took quite a bit of research to actually find the answer but eventually I stumbled across that.

Hope this helps mate. Congrats on the fantastic progress too. Keep it up!
  • finalnull
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks!

not sure why you think you're in a plateau if you have lost nearly 20lbs in a month?

Because I haven't lost much but 1 or two lbs in about a week or so. I dropped to 225 and miss have stood still around there for a while.
  • finalnull
    Options
    Hey brother how are you?
    A few things I can think of might be halting your progress.
    1. Too much weight lost too quickly. Your body is trying to preserve it's normal baseline and because you have lost too much too quick your cortisol levels are raised. This halts weight-loss (fat loss) and can actually lead to muscle wastage and weight gain (from fat). My advice is ditch the diet and eat normal for a week or two (a little weight gain is actually good here) help your body reset the baseline, lower your cortisol levels and have another crack at the diet. Just try to slow the weight loss down. Slow and steady is the key to permanent fat loss and body recoup.
    2. You are training too hard and not giving yourself adequate time for recovery. Again the cortisol issue... If your CNS (central nervous system) is taxed too much ie. training too hard or too little recovery time, cortisol skyrockets. Also if training especially hard, fast glycogen replacement (I use a tablespoon of dextrose) and fast protein uptake afterwards will significantly lower cortisol quite quickly.
    3. Sleep sleep sleep. 8 hours is OK but after serious weightlifting sessions 9-10 hours is great. A rough guide to check is to take your heart rate upon rising. 60 and below is perfect. But anything above 65-70 would indicate not enough sleep. (Pre-existing conditions and your level of fitness must also be considered here). Good sleep also lowers carb and sugar cravings substantially.
    4. Hydration.

I had the same issues mate. Went from 152kg to 130kg in 8 weeks then stalled out completely. Turns out it was the first point I mentioned. Took quite a bit of research to actually find the answer but eventually I stumbled across that.

Hope this helps mate. Congrats on the fantastic progress too. Keep it up!

Awesome! I will be looking into all of this. I know I'm not doing everything I should be.. Wish you could just see my entire profile to get a better idea. But, given my job and the workouts I figured there had to be something else that was preventing further weight loss /muscle gain.

Again, thank you. this is some killer info!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to drop it like it's hot. 6'4" 220 is right on the money in my humble opinion. Work on your muscle mass. There's the brain weight vs. the dream weight. Maybe your bone structure will like 220 @ 6'4". I would.
  • finalnull
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Why do you need to drop it like it's hot. 6'4" 220 is right on the money in my humble opinion. Work on your muscle mass. There's the brain weight vs. the dream weight. Maybe your bone structure will like 220 @ 6'4". I would.

I tried to post a picture, it won't let me. But anyway, I'm not trying to do it fast.. Im just being me. I was looking at bmi and a few other stats to measure by.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I tried to post a picture, it won't let me. But anyway, I'm not trying to do it fast.. Im just being me. I was looking at bmi and a few other stats to measure by.

You don't think 18lbs in a month is fast? :huh:
  • finalnull
    Options
    Thanks!

Because I haven't lost much but 1 or two lbs in about a week or so. I dropped to 225 and miss have stood still around there for a while.

A plateau is usually described as 6-8+ weeks without a loss while making no changes to your routine. Losing 1-2 pounds in a week or so is a fast rate of loss and you're just being impatient.

Oh wow.. Ok. Had no idea.
  • finalnull
    Options

You don't think 18lbs in a month is fast? :huh:

No, I've done more in the past but I guess at my age it slows down.