Increasing Fat (in diet)

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I've been tracking everything since April. Because I tend to need to eat MORE i go for foods that are low in calorie per weight, so really tons of veggies (ensuring I get more than enough protein). I cut out oils and such as they added too many calories and they add nothing of valu as far as taste (to me anyway).

The other day I was looking at the overall food breakdown and realized I am way off on my fat intake. MFP recommends 43g but I eat probably half that. And that probably is not a good thing.

What is an easy way to start introducing healthy fats without sacrificing so much in calories (I know some sacrifice needs to be made but...). I am looking at almonds but that really gives me such little in the way of satisfaction for a large amount of calories. I will see abut switching to 1 or 2% greek yogurt.

Thanks

ETA: I see eggs are a good one, on days I have eggs I am much closer to a decent fat goal.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to increase fat without decreasing other foods is to raise my calorie goal. If you need 20 extra grams of fat, are you willing to increase your goal by 200 calories or so? You may be able to afford it if you've chosen the fastest rate of weight loss.
  • tpspiege
    tpspiege Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you like avocados?, but they are a good source of 'healthy fat' with half of one providing 19g fat for only 105 calories...

Avacado - Medium Avacado, 1/2 Avacado (128g)
    105 calories, 2g protein, 19g fat, 3, 0, 6 carbs
  • Panini911
    Options
    Not willing to add more than 50 calories at this point. Willing to trade some of my veggy calories and re-work stuff. Though...maybe i should consider slower weight loss...

19g of fat for 105 calories is pretty decent, better than nuts really. I could even do half of that. I don't know how I feel about avocados i haven't really given them an honest try. Thanks!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That might be a bad entry. No way it has 19 grams of fat and 105 calorie - the calories from fat alone would add up to 170 calories. Avocados are a good source of fat, of course, but it will cut into your calories and give you less volume. Anything high in fat would. Increasing your calories might be a better solution.

ETA: here is a more accurate entry for avocados if you're interested

z86ng6qzomth.png
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Your body needs the fat. If you don’t particularly like to add oils eat more nuts, fish, olives and avocado that way you’re getting more nutrients than just fat from these. If you eat yogurt splurge on the whole milk variety occasionally too.
  • Panini911
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Your body needs the fat. If you don’t particularly like to add oils eat more nuts, fish, olives and avocado that way you’re getting more nutrients than just fat from these. If you eat yogurt splurge on the whole milk variety occasionally too.

you know what's silly? I added greek yogurt thinking it would add a bit of fat. Only I bought 0% fat yogurt. Oops!

I think I may need to add 100 calories. My weight loss has been pretty fast - it would be better to add 100 cals of healthy fat (and free up some other calories) even if it means an extra little bit to hit my goal.

I d like fish and eggs also seem to have some fat. maybe get some milk with fat and use a bit less. I bought some almonds just need to work them in to my daily count.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Honey roasted almonds are delicious. IMO nuts are a great source of fat and the saltiness of the nuts dampens my cravings for potato chips.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Coconut ice cream
  • GrantRKn
    GrantRKn Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Even tho I’m cutting at the moment, I use milk to help me with my macros, high in protein, good amount of calories fat and carbs, it’s like a good refill after a hard gym session while contributing to your macros
  • Panini911
    Options
    Thanks :) I may also add a bit of full fat veggy dip to raw veggies or coconut oil when cooking them. Swithicn from low cal dessert bar to just chocolate (more fat, close in cals and still get my dose of choco). baby steps.

nuts are still a hard one to fit in :p
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Not willing to add more than 50 calories at this point. Willing to trade some of my veggy calories and re-work stuff. Though...maybe i should consider slower weight loss...

When in April did you start? How many pounds have you lost? How many more pounds do you have to reach your goal?

• Panini911
    Options
    I didn't track all that carefully in the beginning. I started tracking April 17 and getting down (over a few weeks) to 1300 (at first I wasn't measuring as properly). I was around 167-170, I am now at about 151. So I am realizing that is a quick loss (I just lost a few pounds after a few weeks of being at the same "156").

My goal is about 135-140. Below that is unlikely to be do-able/manageable based on past experience. so 11-16 pounds to loose.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use full fat sour cream, enjoy some chocolate most days. :smile: 2 Tbsp nut butters daily, cook my eggs in some butter, I also really like coconut- so I’ll fit in macaroons or cookies.
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're not willing to go up more than 50 calories or exchange an enormous amount of veggies calories, you're in a tough place. 50 calories is just over 5g of fat . . . so, barely a blip.

I came here to recommend nuts. Great source of healthy fats and my go-to food when I need to eat something to up my calories. 50 calories of peanuts is like 12 peanuts though.
  • Panini911
    Options
    haha yes I know i need to give up more than 50. maybe not more than 200. I think what I will do is start with small changes - that's the secret to many life changes right. start small and keep making small changes in the right direction :) Moving to more fat in the dairy products. Switching from low fast dessert bar to real chocolate (the switch actually shouldn't add more calories if I portion right). maybe abit of dip for the veggies (reducing the quantity of veggies). and so on. And SLOWLY bringing nuts maybe just not all that in the same day ;)

but if anyone has any ideas on some like amazing fats that are fewer cals keep them coming :)

I opened up my diary for viewing if anyone was curious.
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Fats are, by the nature of what they are, high in calories. One gram of digestible fat is 9 calories. You're not going to find a lower calorie form of fat than oil, shortening, or lard. Seeds, nuts, avocados, and some other foods are higher in calories because of carbs and protein as well, but are also healthy fats and much more micronutrient dense.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I also sometimes don't reach reasonable amounts of dietary fat. I personally opt for 85-91% dark chocolate or nut butter, but you'll need to allocate more than 50C. I don't like using things like oil because if i'm going to have to allocate a lot of calories to dietary fat, it should at least taste good to me :smile:
  • Panini911
    Options
    Thanks guys. Step 1 today is i've weighted out 20gram of almonds to fit in as a snack. I'll be looking at adding chia seeds or PB to my steel cut oats.

I actually do find that sometimes I don't finish my veggies so this is a good time to reduce the veggy bulk and work in good fats. I quite like salmon so i can fit that in. Eggs are a main go to. I'll swap out my daily dessert to chocolate that has some fat (and in the same calorie count I was allowing myself). and buy 1 or 2% greek yogurt.
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You don’t need to increase calories to increase fat. You change your macros. You’d be surprised at how filling healthy fats are. Nuts, full fat dairy or coconut milk, avocado, pastured butter or ghee, coconut and olive oil, olives.. all good examples of fat. I personally have been on keto for almost two months. I’ve always included healthy fats but I can’t believe the change to how satisfied I feel all the time and with very few cravings. I eat the same number of calories (or less) but way fewer carbs (all from veg and a little fruit) and moderate protein. I’ve lost about 20 pounds in those two months (about 60 to lose altogether). Good luck. Don’t be afraid of fat. :)