Apple Cider Vinegar

2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    acv or any vinegar can cause your stomach to "flush" the acid out. it is my last ditch effort when my acid reflux. however, otherwise, you want to be careful adding to stomach with high acid, more acid. it could make things much much worse
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    It won't help you lose weight. But, I do have a great braised purple cabbage recipe that calls for apple cider vinegar if you're interested.

Sure i'll accept the recipe! Thanks for the inputs

1 Large pot with a lid
    4 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage (about 1 medium cabbage)
    2 shredded Granny Smith apples
    1 onion
    1 TBSP brown sugar
    Salt & pepper (just enough to tastes, 1/2 tsp each is enough)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cook the onions in the pot until they are tender. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on a low to medium heat, while covered, until cabbage is tender, mixing the ingredients periodically. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour. (If you cook it longer, the cabbage just gets more tender. My daughter prefers it cooked almost 90 minutes).

Oooh - I do this recipe with balsamic vingear instead :) Freezes well too. Great witth Pork, Duck or Goose
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    mkyoungdds wrote: »
    It is great for belly health in general, good for heartburn and acid reflux. They also sell it in tablet form if you don’t want to drink it.

Apple Cider Vinegar is an acid. Adding more acid to your stomach isn't going to improve heartburn or acid reflux.

Actually my husband used it and he has acid reflux and it helps more than any medicine he’s tried. I’m just saying there’s some truth to it.

There are multiple causes for reflux. ACV would be horrible for me (high acid already) but a co-worker drinks lemonade to help her digestion (low stomach acid).
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member
    ACV when raw has probiotic properties to it. If it's cooked, those properties are gone and it's just like any other vinegar. It won't help you lose weight but can help with getting healthy gut flora.

Bragg's is raw ACV.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    It won't help you lose weight. But, I do have a great braised purple cabbage recipe that calls for apple cider vinegar if you're interested.

Sure i'll accept the recipe! Thanks for the inputs

1 Large pot with a lid
    4 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage (about 1 medium cabbage)
    2 shredded Granny Smith apples
    1 onion
    1 TBSP brown sugar
    Salt & pepper (just enough to tastes, 1/2 tsp each is enough)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cook the onions in the pot until they are tender. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on a low to medium heat, while covered, until cabbage is tender, mixing the ingredients periodically. Usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour. (If you cook it longer, the cabbage just gets more tender. My daughter prefers it cooked almost 90 minutes).

Oooh - I do this recipe with balsamic vingear instead :) Freezes well too. Great witth Pork, Duck or Goose

The apple cider vinegar will enhance the apple flavor. Goes especially well with roasted poultry and pork.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    It is great for belly health in general, good for heartburn and acid reflux. They also sell it in tablet form if you don’t want to drink it.

Apple Cider Vinegar is an acid. Adding more acid to your stomach isn't going to improve heartburn or acid reflux.

It depends on the cause of the heartburn. Some people find it helps (low stomach acid + acid = good mix), and some find it makes it worse (too much stomach acid + more acid = belly fire from hell).
  • nutmegoreo
    Currently have a horde of fruit flies in my kitchen. A little ACV in a cup, covered with plastic wrap with a few holes punched in it and by tomorrow they'll all have drowned. :)

Can you check to see if the ACV drowned flies lost more weight than the ones that didn't partake? Please report back...for science. ;)

Their little dead bodies were rather bloated, so I'm assuming water weight gain from aspirating ACV, which would inappropriately skew the results, I'm afraid. :D

So, don't inhale it. Thanks!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It depends on the cause of the heartburn. Some people find it helps (low stomach acid + acid = good mix), and some find it makes it worse (too much stomach acid + more acid = belly fire from hell).

I had an experience with "belly fire from hell" and it was awful. This was after reading that ACV+honey+water would eliminate acid reflux. It didn't and I didn't lose any weight either, dammit.
  • nutmegoreo
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

I had an experience with "belly fire from hell" and it was awful. This was after reading that ACV+honey+water would eliminate acid reflux. It didn't and I didn't lose any weight either, dammit.

Clearly, that was the sugar in the honey, not the ACV. :wink:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Clearly, that was the sugar in the honey, not the ACV. :wink:

Oh sure, demonize the added sugars! :D
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    Does any one have thoughts about apple cider vinegar or tips/suggestions/or just information in general ?

I use it for all my pork BBQ, and love it as a tangy tinge in my BBQ sauce.

That was my first thought - dayum, that would be GOOD on some BBQ!
  • ChubbyRose84
    ChubbyRose84 Posts: 48 Member
    I take ACV in pill form 2-3x a day, and it helps me with bloating, pain, arthritis, etc.

Even blood sugar, weight loss, none so far.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You've got ACV?

I have one word: Collards.
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    The current issue of Woman's World magazine has an article on ACV, and it says that it slims you down without dieting.

So it's not true? :'(B)

No, I didn't buy it - I saw it when waiting in line at the grocery store :p
  • MelmothWanders
    MelmothWanders Posts: 47 Member
    Many of the alleged benefits of apple cider vinegar are bunk or poorly studied. That being said, I love the stuff, especially as a filler for salad dressing. In order to increase the amount of any vinegar-based dressing without increasing calories or (more importantly for me) sodium, mix in a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    The current issue of Woman's World magazine has an article on ACV, and it says that it slims you down without dieting.

So it's not true? :'(B)

No, I didn't buy it - I saw it when waiting in line at the grocery store :p

Most of the article they post (especially if it's a week they put Dr. Oz on the cover) are untrue.