Avocado, white albacore tuna, pico - have you tried this?

Options
tpspiege
tpspiege Posts: 32 Member
So I just tried this for the first time for lunch today and I'll definitely be eating more regularly so I thought this was worth posting in case anyone else hasn't yet tried.

End result was a very satisfying 215calories 27gram protein, low carb, "main dish" for lunch with some 'healthy fat' from avocado.

I thought this ratio was about perfect, and I didn't have to add any salt or sugar so it also served well as a "whole food" meal.

Prep:
Simply took half a ripe Haas avocado and smashed it up in a bowl with a fork, dumped a whole can (4oz) of drained solid white albacore tuna on top (in spring water), then added a couple scoops of fresh pico and stirred it all together.

Ingredients:
Hwy. 28 Farms - Perfect Pico - Pico De Gallo, 1.75 oz
10 calories, 1g protein, 0g fat, 0, 0, 3 carbs
Starkist - Solid White Albacore Tuna, 4 oz
100 calories, 24g protein, 1g fat, 0, 0, 0 carbs
Avacado - Medium Avacado, 1/2 Avacado (128g)
105 calories, 2g protein, 19g fat, 3, 0, 6 carbs

Replies

• ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've done something pretty similar. Avocado is a great mayo substitute. I like to chop my own veggies usually but using pico sounds great. I like some jalapeno or Serrano pepper in mine too
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I generally eat the Skipjack variety of tune....or the Yellow Fin....but Albacore will work nicely, too!
  • tpspiege
    Options
    ninjamere1 wrote: »
    I've done something pretty similar. Avocado is a great mayo substitute. I like to chop my own veggies usually but using pico sounds great. I like some jalapeno or Serrano pepper in mine too

Yep, the pico was left over from another dish and was just a nice short cut, but I liked how the cilantro in this pico paired with the tun and this particular brand of pico already had some jalapeno added.

I guess another option would be to just stir the tuna into guacomole but it seems like most of the pre-made guac at my local grocer doesn't have much taste and is loaded up with salt & preservatives to slow the "turning grey/brown" process of the avocado once the container is opened & exposed to air.
  • tpspiege
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I generally eat the Skipjack variety of tune....or the Yellow Fin....but Albacore will work nicely, too!

Cool, that's why I shared/posted... easy prep, quick lunch

Yeah, I just grabbed the starkist albacore out of the cupboard but if you already have a "go to" variety then I wouldn't think it would alter the taste that much.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious, I like using avocado in my egg salad (I hate mayo, so much), I haven't tried it with tuna but I bet it is delicious. Thanks for the idea!
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did this once with leftover pre-made guac from the store. But I love this guac, tastes great and not too many additional ingredients. I never tried it with an avocado, mainly because I can't ever keep them from being hard as a rock or dark brown
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tpspiege wrote: »

Cool, that's why I shared/posted... easy prep, quick lunch

Yeah, I just grabbed the starkist albacore out of the cupboard but if you already have a "go to" variety then I wouldn't think it would alter the taste that much.

I really like the Skipjack. I eat the Yellow Fin when I want a little more flavor. Now, the difference is 100% the fact that the Skipjack is packed in water while the Yellow Fin is packed in Olive Oil! The truth comes out! I occassionally do the Albacore but prefer Skipjack. WIll use that! :-)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Sabra and Wholly Guacamole both make single serving cups of guac without a bunch of additives. I've found them really handy! Have even started making chicken salad with guacamole instead of mayo.
  • tpspiege
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    That sounds delicious, I like using avocado in my egg salad (I hate mayo, so much), I haven't tried it with tuna but I bet it is delicious. Thanks for the idea!

Interesting... I didn't consider avocado as a replacement to mayo in egg salad.

I always have some hard boiled eggs on hand for healthy snack alternatives, If you don't mind sharing your avocado egg salad recipe I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!
  • tpspiege
    Options
    gcconroy29 wrote: »
    I did this once with leftover pre-made guac from the store. But I love this guac, tastes great and not too many additional ingredients. I never tried it with an avocado, mainly because I can't ever keep them from being hard as a rock or dark brown

For what it's worth, I once read that if you hold the avocado and apply modest pressure with your thumb it's ripe if it "gives" a little ... if it doesn't budge at all then it won't be ripe for a couple days, if it feels very soft with little pressure applied then it's over-ripe.

Realize those are some very subjective values, but I've had decent success with that method.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven’t tried it yet, but sounds amazing-thanks for the idea-I do a bagged salad topped with a can of albacore tuna,sprinkled with craisins& topped with Kens Sweet Onion dressing-it’s really good! :smile:
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

I always have some hard boiled eggs on hand for healthy snack alternatives, If you don't mind sharing your avocado egg salad recipe I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!

Oh it's outstanding, you should try it. I also have a go-to avocado egg salad if you like;

one avocado peeled, pitted and diced
    3 hard boiled eggs peeled and diced
    1 tsp of lemon or lime juice
    1 tbs chopped cilantro
    2 tbs plain greek yogurt
    Salt and pepper to taste

I never considered it for tuna salad, though I've no idea why not. It seems perfectly reasonable considering I like it in egg salad. I'll have to give this tunacado salad a try.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely, it's one my favorite breakfasts, on an English muffin topped with alfalfa sprouts. Bonus points for pairing it with lox <3 I basically stole the idea from here: https://www.skinnytaste.com/healthy-avocado-egg-salad-and-salmon/

I just don't believe in discarding yolk and dislike mayo, so I tweaked it to suit my tastes:

The base is:
    0.50 medium, Avocado
    4 large eggs
    1 tsp lime juice
    1.2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp salt (to taste)

from there I'll either add about 1 tsp capers (along with about a tsp of the brine) or 2 tsp sweet relish.