Off topic: Ibuprofen stops a period??

Options

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I once had continuous (menstrual) bleeding from the deprovera shot, my doctor perscribed me the same dose you are taking of ibuprofen to reduce/stop the bleeding. So in short, yes it is known to do this :) it may not work for everyone but it worked for me when my dr perscribed it!

It’s not good to take that much continuously though, so I wouldn’t use it just for that reason (I know you are using it as perscribed by the dentist), but that is definitely why your bleeding has nearly stopped.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    No, it has no effect on menstruation.
  • itwentthere
    itwentthere Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Are you saying google lied?
  • nooshi713
    Options

I guess so. I work in the ER so I know this. It can reduce cramps but won't make someone bleed less.
  • itwentthere
    Options

I guess so. I work in the ER so I know this. It can reduce cramps but won't make someone bleed less.

Oh yeah well I once watched an episode of ER.
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I first had my Mirena IUD put in, I had like three months of nonstop period. I was so frustrated that I looked up ways to stop the bleeding, and I found that someone on the internet suggested taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (that's 4 tablets of 200mg Advil).

I took the ibuprofen like that for about two weeks and it totally worked. My period stopped. I stopped taking ibuprofen after a friend convinced me that it was probably dangerous to take so much over a long period of time. My period started again and ran for another month before it reverted back to normal.

So yes, it's the ibuprofen.
  • nooshi713
    Options

Oh yeah well I once watched an episode of ER.

That show and all medical shows are so fake. Grey's Anatomy is the worst.
  • itwentthere
    Options
    When I first had my Mirena IUD put in, I had like three months of nonstop period. I was so frustrated that I looked up ways to stop the bleeding, and I found that someone on the internet suggested taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (that's 4 tablets of 200mg Advil).

I took the ibuprofen like that for about two weeks and it totally worked. My period stopped. I stopped taking ibuprofen after a friend convinced me that it was probably dangerous to take so much over a long period of time. My period started again and ran for another month before it reverted back to normal.

So yes, it's the ibuprofen.

Didn’t you read this

She works at an ER
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Turning 50 helps too!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

My general practitioner specifically perscribed me this dose to stop my excess menstrual bleeding, so I would have to disagree...
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Not much of a sense of humor, either.
  • nooshi713
    Options

Not much of a sense of humor, either.

Oh, they are funny. I laughed.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As someone who developed endometrial cancer at an "age much younger than expected", 50 rather than 70+! health professionals said, Please anyone who has 7 day heavy painful periods, please get them checked out properly. Problem is getting past the, "what do you expect, you are a woman", ignorance first.

Wishing everyone, good health.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yup it’s great to reduce the bleeding. I am meant to be on it as part of pain management and it messed it right up!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    No, but a comma is like a (meno)pause.
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    This would’ve been helpful to know 2 weeks ago :grumble:

Or even 23 years ago for me...that would have been useful in many circumstances
    OP Here and I agree. A few days after I stopped my prescription my period returned in full force. 😵