Please cheer me up

I have about another 40-50 lbs to lose, and I feel like I'm doing everything right. I weigh my food and enter it on MFP every day, eat high protein low carb, keep to 1200 calories a day or below, fast 2 days a week, walk daily at least 12,000 steps, and if my Fitbit is to be believed, come in at around 10,000 calorie deficit a week.

So why aren't I losing more than 1 lb every week to 2 weeks? When I "complete entry" on MFP at the end of the day it says "Keep this up and you'll weigh 185 in 5 weeks! and that's not even remotely true. If I'm lucky, I'll be 5 lbs less at the most and that's iffy.

I'm a little discouraged but committed to staying on track but need some motivation. Yes I'm pleased at the 50 lbs I've already lost and I like that my pants size is in the teens for the first time since the 1980s but jeez louise, shouldn't I be farther along that this? *sigh*

Replies

• cindytomek
    cindytomek Posts: 6 Member
    I'd love to cheer you up but i'm only just beginning my journey to lose 50 lbs. I've put on 50 in three years and i'm in a bad place with all of it. I'd love to hear how you disciplined yourself to lose the weight you have so far. I'm a mindless, emotional eater...
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Rome wasn't built in a day, right? a pound a week is good or else you may risk more horrid skin sag issues.... slow and EZ is the ticket and look what you've already accomplished. Rock it Rock it good!!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited June 2018
    SAsher5 wrote: »
    I have about another 40-50 lbs to lose, and I feel like I'm doing everything right. I weigh my food and enter it on MFP every day, eat high protein low carb, keep to 1200 calories a day or below, fast 2 days a week, walk daily at least 12,000 steps, and if my Fitbit is to be believed, come in at around 10,000 calorie deficit a week.

So why aren't I losing more than 1 lb every week to 2 weeks? When I "complete entry" on MFP at the end of the day it says "Keep this up and you'll weigh 185 in 5 weeks! and that's not even remotely true. If I'm lucky, I'll be 5 lbs less at the most and that's iffy.

I'm a little discouraged but committed to staying on track but need some motivation. Yes I'm pleased at the 50 lbs I've already lost and I like that my pants size is in the teens for the first time since the 1980s but jeez louise, shouldn't I be farther along that this? *sigh*

Wow 50lbs that is a great accomplishment. Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) way of eating (WOE) is strange. I lost a good 40lbs and then it just slowed down and it became difficult to lose I even gained some but I have been doing some heavy weight lifting and I haven't notice my waist line increase so it must be some weight from muscle. From what I have read is just keep with the program your body wants to find some equilibrium so the closer you get to your goal the harder it becomes to drop weight. Sometimes it takes changing up your routine (food and exercise) to get things moving again. At the most, I lost 1-2lbs per week and then it tapered off to about 1lb a week, I really had to be patient and not put so much stock into the scale. I also looked at things besides weight like is my body becoming toned. Honey Bunny in the LCHF group in this forum has some excellent images of how her body changed with little change in weight.

I always tell myself it took a while for me to become overweight so I owe it to myself to be patient and give myself time to lose it. You can do it! Heck you already have done a lot. Just remember nothing is linear on your journey and it will work out.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your progress! To respond to your question, most likely you’re not logging accurately. You can ask MFPers to review your diary, some are very good at picking out logging issues.
    Have you looked at the flow chart recently? If not, perhaps someone can post it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    g8bjw5ar9x3a.jpg
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Learn to understand the purpose of bumps in the road, grow from them and stay positive. Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better.

You’ve lost 50 lbs! You’re doing great! Keep your head up. You’ve defined the meaning of success just by losing 50 lbs regardless if you haven’t achieved your goal yet. In due time you will :).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,444 Member
    SAsher5 wrote: »

First, don't eat below 1200 calories. That should be your minimum.

Second, I know fitbit is "the thing" these days, but I'd advise only counting deliberate exercise. Enter your deliberate exercise into MFP, and eat about half your exercise calories back.

Third, 1 lb every 2 weeks isn't bad. You're still losing. :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    Redo your program. If I was living on 6000 calories per week I would be unhappy too. How are you going to live like that long term?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    You are eating less than 1200 calories per day and fasting 2 days? That doesn’t sound sustainable to me. You might be ready for a maintenance break for s few weeks to give your body a bit of a rest and evaluate your goals at the end of a few weeks at maintenance.
  • SAsher5
    SAsher5 Posts: 11 Member
    Sorry all for the late response and thanks for all your kind words! (especially quiksylver296, I had to save that one. LOL!)
  • LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    g8bjw5ar9x3a.jpg
    I didn’t have the time to read this flow chart.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I feel your pain. Those numbers on MFP assume alot and not all of us are average. During my weight loss phase I kept to the calories it gave me for a 2 pound/week loss but averaged 1.4 instead. My metabolism is just slower and of course I'm sure my logging wasn't always perfect. Also you say you've lost 50 pounds so you're deficit has shrunk quite a bit. Having said that you should never be below 1200 so you can't lower it any more. Bear in mind that the lowest MFP will ever suggest is 1200 even if you say you want to lose 2 pounds it will never tell you to eat less. If you've lost 50 pounds you know what you're doing and you WILL get there. My first 65 pounds came off in a year the next year I only lost 20. It sucks but I finally arrived and it was worth the wait. Hang in there.