When Do You Buy New Clothes

Options
For those of you who have lost enough weight to drop at least one dress size, at what point did you purchase new clothes? I am running out of clothes that fit me properly. I tried to wear some of my business slacks and they are sagging so low that the crotch of my pants are halfway down my thighs. :embarassed: I don't feel that I've lost enough to justify buying more clothes because I am almost halfway to my goal weight. Any helpful suggestions out there?

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I always shop clearance/sale racks. Do you have any resale shops in your town? That has been a lifesaver for me. I was down two sizes, and bought a fair amount, even though I'm not at my goal weight. I figure you still need seasonal items. GoodWill, thrift stores, resale shops are your cheapest bets, I guess.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem. I have been buying at least one nice outfit and some unmentionables when my clothes are so big that they no longer look good. Maybe you can just buy one or two pieces every so many pounds just so you don't look like you are swimming i your clothes?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I held off for a long time but finally had to give in. I suggest shopping at thrift shops since with any luck you'll shrink out of them fairly quickly and that way it's not like wasting money.
  • mikesnwgirl
    Options
    I just buy the bare minimum to get buy. Buying a bunch of clothes in a size I know isn't gonna fit long doesn't seem justified to me. I have also found some great things at yard sales and used clothing stores. So i'm not paying alot and it doesn't hurt so bad when it doesn't fit for long.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would either try to find really good sales or go to a thrift store since you'll be losing more weight.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have only bought a few new things and I waited until I had lost almost 80 lbs before I bought anything and the 2 things I bought then are not HUGE on me and I look like a bum cause they are so big but I am waiting until I loose another 15 lbs to even think about buying new clothes (that is my goal weight) and I may only buy 1 or 2 outfits then since I am wanting to loose another 10-15 after that
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just buy the bare minimum to get by. Buying a bunch of clothes in a size I know isn't gonna fit long doesn't seem justified to me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy new until everyone started asking me if I was sick because my clothes were falling off me. After I did everyone said "you look great". Maybe I should have bought them sooner. Maybe you could sew a little tuck in the side of the slacks and get a little more wear out of them until your ready.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to shopping so I have purchased A LOT more than I should have - but I am doing my first big new clothes shopping once I hit 50 lbs lost - I am a teacher and need new clothes to go back to work with so I figure 50 lbs should happen right around the first day of school so it is a double bonus!! If you need new clothes and can afford them I say treat yourself!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in my closet that I got too fat to wear - in fact, pulled some out the other day - I have some of my 'thin' clothes that I just never parted with 'they'll fit me again' so I am basically growing into my wardrobe as I shrink out ha!

I have enough stuff to get by until I reach a 'final' size (I think) but I know a lot of ppl who give me clothes. Take up a donation from your friends? Tell everyone to go thru their closet & instead of giving to goodwill, give it to you
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I was going to say clearance racks and thrift/resale stores too. You can find some great stuff without spending a fortune on clothes you won't be needing for very long.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Clearance racks, resale shops. I started at a 14 creeping into a 16. I am now at a 10. I expect to be at an 8 before the end of the year. I'm not usually a dress/skirt type of girl, but skirts are much more forgiving than pants when they're too big. They are also easy to take in. (They are also easy to make with the most simple sewing skills.) Therefore my co-workers commented more on my new wardrobe than on my weight loss. He he.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I bought new work clothes when they didn't fit anymore. I'll have to do it again soon, but I just couldn't keep going to work with clothes hanging off me.

I also did the same, eventually, with my causal clothes. That was about looking good and feeling good about myself. Once I got out of the loose, old clothes, people really noticed my weight loss.

I figure having to buy two new sets of clothes is well worth it. I'll donate the current size clothes because they're still in good shape. Also, if money's tight, do small purchases over a few months until you have enough proper clothes.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've sewn up the sides of my waist in my pants and skirts, to avoid having to by new very often. I recently had to go get new panties and bras though. No avoiding that after over 30 lbs is gone, because they just fell off or didn't work right. For shirts, I keep a lot of my lose shirts because they are comfy. I still bought new ones last week because I was tired of looking like a bag lady.

New clothes can make a big difference. People really notice you've lost weight if your clothes fit nice. I found out that I can actually wear form fitting things again and they look pretty good. It's an ego booster :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have to look nice at work and was sick of my stuff falling off me too, so I bought the bare minimum (black slacks and few tops to mix and match) when I needed to. I've since done it again and need to shop for new one's again (we change "uniform" colors every six months) since nothing from last winter will be fitting me at ALL!!!! I was a 14 last year... I'm now in a 6. Love clearance racks... but properly fitting clothes will not only show off your hard work, it will make you feel so much more confident!!! Please don't wait until you lose 100 pounds... just pick up the basics every other size you hit. So good for the psyche... not so good for the bank account, but that's another story!!!
  • TwinMamma09
    Options
    I used clothes as my treat after losing weight or getting to a goal. I have bought a few pairs of jeans and slacks for work since my other pairs were geting so big. I bought a bunch of new shirts today that will look great on my now and also when I lose the last 10 pounds and get to my goal weight.

Do what you can afford and makes you feel happy. Sometimes seeing yourself in clothes that fit better can keep you motivated to lose more. :)
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would buy a couple of staff to keep going, it's not motivating to lose weight if you don't see the benefits of it (such as wearing a couple of sizes less)... I've just been shopping for the first time... after I had my baby.. (so 6 weeks ago).. in those six weeks I had pregnant clothes I still could use, but my older clothes are far too small for me right now, so I had to buy something to keep me motivated and going down, and even though I thought I could manage with other clothes I had from when I was overweigh, I can't... they just look aweful, with the pregnancy my body has changed loads.. bigger breast, bigger tummy.. and so on, so I bought only two plain black stretchy jeans to show that I'm actually losing weight, and a couple of tops that could fit me when I get slimmer as well... in my case I already had clothes from when I lost loads of weight... but it's depressing trying the ones you think they would fit you after giving birth and finding there are loads of centimetres to lose of bum and tummy to close them, and I'm not talking of the slim trousers, but the ones when I was my fattest!!.. now they're starting to close at last!! but still scared of trying the clothes I bought just right before I got pregnant!!
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be hitting garage sales/thrift stores/resale shops as well. I'm currently falling out of nearly all of my work clothes (belts are no loner doing the trick and my "tucks" look pretty saggy too!), so I've started looking here and there. The other nice thing is that I've been able to consign some of my clothes that I've shrunk out of to help pay for the smaller sizes.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I bought bear minimum of everything but work out clothes since I wear them every day. I do tend to buy clothes that are sorta tight so they will fit later too.. I did buy on a dress shirt and shorts and hoping I have somewhere to wear it before It gets too big!
    I wear scrubs everyday so big isnt bad but I had some co workers who had lost weight give me theirs and I am just washing more often.
    For workout clothes check Kohls as since the change of seasons and the summer stuff is getting put away and fall stuff out there are tons of sales. I got a pair of workout shorts that are too small right now(I have the next size up)for 70% off. I also bought 2 swimsuits that are a bit tight but will work for quite a few months(I live in Florida so swim season a lot longer) . Theye were 70% off and Speedo too! Good time of year for the workout gear!

Nice to have this problem though huh?

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts
  • snickerskittycat
    snickerskittycat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to buy clothes as I go as a reward. It feels good. :)