2»

Replies

• finalnull
    finalnull Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    finalnull wrote: »
    Lost 18lbs in about a month. Just started bike riding again hoping that would help out.
    Been doing the workouts just over a month. I'm male. 6'4". 221lbs. Is there a way I can post my profile info here? Didn't see it... But I just updated a ton of stuff so if you check it out it should be public. If not I'll post any other answers you need.
    Thanks!

theres no info on your profile? not sure what you think you have updated?

18lbs in one month is a massive amount when you don't really have that much to lose. how long since you lost any weight?

I was 240 about a month ago. Now as of today I'm 220 trying to get to 200. I updated the profile but I don't think anyone can see it unless you friend me.

you should be aiming to lose 0.5lb to 1lb per week to avoid losing more muscle.

not sure why you think you're in a plateau if you have lost nearly 20lbs in a month?

Because I haven't lost much but 1 or two lbs in about a week or so. I dropped to 225 and miss have stood still around there for a while.

But you don't want to lose more than a pound a week, unless you want to lose muscle?

No i want to cut just a bit. Not a ton but just a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Why do you need to drop it like it's hot. 6'4" 220 is right on the money in my humble opinion. Work on your muscle mass. There's the brain weight vs. the dream weight. Maybe your bone structure will like 220 @ 6'4". I would.

I tried to post a picture, it won't let me. But anyway, I'm not trying to do it fast.. Im just being me. I was looking at bmi and a few other stats to measure by.

You don't think 18lbs in a month is fast? :huh:

No, I've done more in the past but I guess at my age it slows down.

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that when you lose that much weight you lose muscle, or....?
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Why do you need to drop it like it's hot. 6'4" 220 is right on the money in my humble opinion. Work on your muscle mass. There's the brain weight vs. the dream weight. Maybe your bone structure will like 220 @ 6'4". I would.

I tried to post a picture, it won't let me. But anyway, I'm not trying to do it fast.. Im just being me. I was looking at bmi and a few other stats to measure by.

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that when you lose that much weight you lose muscle, or....?

Just a question, might some men actually want to lose muscle, as to literally just weigh less? For example, might the OP want to weigh 200lbs and be 18% body fat, rather than 200lbs and 10% body, because 18% is easier to maintain? Just a thought, could totally be wrong.
  • finalnull
    Options

Haha Omg ok... Let me just fill something in so this doesn't go haywire. I'm a single dad trying to get in better shape... A month ago I was eating burgers and ribs for most meals. This healthy stuff is very new. So no... I had no idea on losing muscle but, I do have a very physical job that keeps my strength up. With that said, I'm learning on here tons of stuff with every message. So I do thank you but, please don't assume I know something. I probably don't. Haha!
  • finalnull
    Options

Just a question, might some men actually want to lose muscle, as to literally just weigh less? For example, might the OP want to weigh 200lbs and be 18% body fat, rather than 200lbs and 10% body, because 18% is easier to maintain? Just a thought, could totally be wrong.

Not totally wrong at all. As in my last reply, I just don't know this is very new to me. I've looked up some basic info like the protein powder, creatine I use and how to make the most of it to keep my muscle lean for my job. But, the muscle strength I have pretty good, I am trying to get rid of the belly I had. I've got that down quite a bit. Now I just want to have a bit more definition. My arms are ok for me. I'd like some weight off my abdomin and just some more definition.

Thank you all for your feedback and kindness. :smile:
  • finalnull
    Options
    Tell me what you need to friend me or look at my entire profile so you can see all the numbers.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What people are getting at is, when we lose weight, it is always some combination of fat and lean muscle mass. When you lose at the rate you have been, you burn more muscle mass in proportion to fat. Protein and strength training are normally helpful to preserve lean muscle mass, but at the rate you've been going, you're still losing an undesirable amount. It doesn't matter if you *feel* strong... lean muscle mass comes from other places too. Like your heart :( Slow down.

To put it in perspective, 4 lbs+/week is an appropriate rate of loss for a 400 lb man.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

even at that if you lose muscle mass you end up getting that skinny fat look, so if you lose more mass than fat you are going to have a higher fat ratio to muscle even if you weigh less. no one wants to lose muscle as its very hard to build back up. if you want to weigh less you try and lose fat and preserve muscle. not the other way around
  • finalnull
    Options
    Hmm... Ok. I lift very heavy things for 5 hours straight a day. So that's physically why I haven't lost the strength but the heart thing makes sense. So I'll check back into my diet and see if i can come up with something to help the goal..
    Thank your all again for your help!

Paul