Bad Macros?

Options
I’m currently trying to bulk but I feel my macros are not fitting well. I gave myself 180g/Protein and 90g/Fat but I keeping carbs below this and protein that high have made dieting unrealistic and something I don’t see myself sticking too. What kind of macros should I use? 1g of protein a bit overkill I feel unless someone is a bodybuilder full time. Also, is it ok to eat more carbs than MFP gives me, I feel like the percentages don’t fit with me.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat 40% c / 30%f/ 30% p
    It works best for me .
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Try 0.8g per lb instead of 1g. Protein is less important when you're in a calorie surplus compared to when you are in a deficit.

Fat minimums 0.35-0.45g per lb... Carbs for the rest.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate your macros? Try the app: my macros plus. It will give you realistic numbers based upon your stats and goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try 0.8g per lb instead of 1g. Protein is less important when you're in a calorie surplus compared to when you are in a deficit.

Fat minimums 0.35-0.45g per lb... Carbs for the rest.

yep, try these figures
  • GinaGonnella
    GinaGonnella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Nate,

I am not a bodybuilder and try to maintain a 1:1 protein to weight ratio. I weigh 145lbs and I typically hit my Macro goal pretty religiously. What are your stats currently?

Current weight, height, activity level etc?? i'd be happy to help ballpark a few numbers for you!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @natethebait - it honestly is a game of trial and error. We are all so very different. We all respond, generally speaking, the same *BUT* ever so slightly differently.

Start with some generally accepted starting points (I am going to simply repeat what others have stated):

1. Protein should be between 0.8g/lb and 1.2g/lb
    2. Fats should be between 0.3g/lb and 0.45g / lb
    3. Carbs would be the rest.

Now, that ASSUMES that there are no medical issues or autoimmune issues. I follow the Ketogenic Lifestyle because I have high A1C and am insulin resistance. So, the above would not be a good thing for me! But, all things equal, that would be a good starting point.

Something that I would suggest to you is that you find the foods that you enjoy eating. It can be really challenging to eat a lot of food (if your were to decide to bulk) or to eat only a little bit of food (if you were to decide to cut) and you did not enjoy the food that you are eating. The best diet in the world - no matter cutting or bulking - is the one that you can follow. In other words, is it sustainable FOR YOU? And, since you are bulking, it can be REALLY difficult to feed your face with a bunch of food that you dislike! The struggle is real, my friend!

I also tend to use a TDEE Calculator, which is slightly different from the way that MFP does things. Specifically, I use the one locataed at https://tdeecalculator.net. It is - for me, anyway - pretty accurate. Anyway, I do not want to add confusion here.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Agreed with @Liftheavythings27105, purely a game of #s for cutting, you'd probably do well to sacrifice fat for more carbohydrate, keep protein around 1g/lb LBW