How big is a single scoop at an ice cream place?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how much ice cream is actually in a "single scoop" waffle cone at a place like Baskin Robbins.

On their website I only see "small 2oz" and "large 4oz".

Any suggestions? This was a little mom and pop place with no listed nutritional info or serving sizes. The ice cream was delicious though!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't think there's a standard. Best bet, is to weigh out your ice cream at home so you can get better at eyeballing how big portions are. I'd use Baskin Robbins if you have no idea.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    highly highly individual depends who scooped it and if they were happy with you

edit: now i want icecream lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    At my ice cream place a "small" is over 8 oz.

I second the suggestion to bring it home and weigh it.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That would be fabulous if it wasn't already eaten. :D
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Probably about 1/2-1 cup per scoop.
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I measure out 1/2 cup at home it amounts to very little ( a small mound over the cone) I would guess 1 cup would be more likely.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    In the UK a single scoop tends to be massive, about the size of two to three scoops elsewhere in Europe. I usually ask for a small one if the place has good artisan ice (otherwise I give it a pass) and then end up in a discussion that a small scoop isn't cheaper :s I just don't want such a massive amount of ice, regardless of how good it is!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Former ice cream scooper here--if you're nice, your scoop will be pretty large and solid all the way through. Could be 5-6 oz, depending on the cone being used. If you're mean? Your scoop will be smaller and likely hollow, so around 2 oz. The only way to know is to bring a scale or take it home and weigh.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It now makes perfect sense!
    My son and I always go to same ice cream place and order the same thing. His comes out 3 inches higher than mine but yet we ordered the same size. The girl must hate me and like my son! Lol
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised to hear that at Ben and Jerry scoop shops in the UK their single scoops are only 85g. I’d been recording them as 100g at least. Makes the cost of their ice cream even worse when compared to the cost of a whole tub from the supermarket
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of when I worked at BR in high school in the 70’s (yes I’m that old!). We were regularly tested to be sure our scoops were exactly 2 1/2 ounces. Not sure if that’s the standard today but thinking about it makes me want to find a BR and get some Baseball Nut if they still do that flavor in the summers!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    In the UK a single scoop tends to be massive, about the size of two to three scoops elsewhere in Europe. I usually ask for a small one if the place has good artisan ice (otherwise I give it a pass) and then end up in a discussion that a small scoop isn't cheaper :s I just don't want such a massive amount of ice, regardless of how good it is!

Wish I had given it a hard pass today. At the seaside, supposed premium farm shop ice cream..... 2 licks and in the bin it went, halo top is miles better than the monstrosity i was served

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Take your scale and have them weigh it for you. Lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have been known to bring my scale and weigh it. I am kinda weird, so I could care less what the people think.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Well.... a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's Tonight Dough Ice Cream is 1/2 cup (4 oz); I found this out the other day. *It tasted awesome.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In my area the regular ice cream cones are HUGE. I will usually buy a children's size when I do get it, and still seems like a lot. I would estimate a waffle cone to have AT LEAST 1 cup.