Running with a dog question

Options
I have 8 year old rat terrier named Rocco. He looks like a jack russell terrier. Well, I have recently began running, and he loves taking walks so much that I decided to take him on a run with me. It was going to be a short run (1-2 miles) but he was doing so good, we ended up going for 6 miles today, and he did fabulous. He came into the house after the run and got something to drink and eat and now he is jumping around playing with my black lab Sammy.

He the the biggest smile on his face the whole time we were running, and he kept right up with my pace and only stopped to poop or pee. The run obviously didnt phase him too much, and didnt hurt him.

I want to start making him a regular run partner, so I was wondering just how much running a dog of his size can handle? He is in great shape, not overweight at all, and has no health problems other than a seizure once in a while because of a head injury a year ago playing rough with my other dog. I want to make sure that he stays healthy and I dont want to hurt him by making him run too much or anything...

Any tips or advice guys???

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    6 miles is a lot for a small dog. Very few animals in the whole animal kingdom can run as far as people(that was our cool animal skill before civilization).
    Remember they can't sweat and they can't tell you how they feel so you have to be very careful.
    If you don't want to pay to see the vet, call them up and ask.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My Jack Russell loves running and I have to remember that he is a big dog in a little dogs body as they need soooo much exercise for a little one. I take him two miles as he also gets a walk.

I think the best thing to do would to be ask a vet for advice for your dog's breed and maybe get a check up before you start. Like people do, I suppose.

I also always try and take a bottle of water with me so he can have a drink while running because dog's are more likely to suffer from dehydration and heat stroke.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Two articles with good information:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_4_19/ai_86743859/

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-369-370--11951-3-1X2-3,00.html

My 2 cents....

You don't say where you live (I'm assuming U.S., but I could be completely wrong), but unless you're in the NW where its generally cooler, it's way too hot in most areas of the United States to run with a dog in August.

Second...although your dog walked with you regularly, going from a daily walk to a 6 mile run is too much, too soon. You run the risk of causing injury to your dog even if he seemed as though he loved it.

Finally...I personally think 6 miles is too much for your rat terrier.
  • susanweiser
    Options
    I am a dog breeder (golden retrievers) and I always tell my jogging puppy buyers to wait until pup is one year old to avoid joint damage. Your little guy is a bundle of energy but JRT's don't know when to stop. Especially at 8 years old, I would start shorter (maybe a mile) give him a day or two to recover and do it again. Gradually increase the distance over months, not days. Sometimes damage to feet, legs and knees takes time to show up. Remember pavement is hot and he's a lot closer to it than you are. Bring lots of water for both of you. Easy does it - but do it. He's probably having a blast.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

My 2 cents....

You don't say where you live (I'm assuming U.S., but I could be completely wrong), but unless you're in the NW where its generally cooler, it's way too hot in most areas of the United States to run with a dog in August.

Second...although your dog walked with you regularly, going from a daily walk to a 6 mile run is too much, too soon. You run the risk of causing injury to your dog even if he seemed as though he loved it.

I can tell you do.

1. It is only 68 degrees today. We have a cold front coming through.
    2. He had water breaks through the whole run as I did too.
    3. He is used to walks, we walk for over 1-2 miles all the time.

Secondly, this is quite the snide answer to someone who is trying to be a GOOD PET OWNER and spend time with her dog, exercise him and spend some quality time with them. It is people LIKE YOU who make people NOT WANT to ask questions without getting some blow hard who enjoys putting people down for trying to do right. Now I remember why I stopped going on these message boards. Thanks for the answers guys, my dog will always get the good care that he deserves, just like always and I will talk to my vet and see what he says.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

My 2 cents....

I can tell you do.

Secondly, this is quite the snide answer to someone who is trying to be a GOOD PET OWNER and spend time with her dog, exercise him and spend some quality time with them. It is people LIKE YOU who make people NOT WANT to ask questions without getting some blow hard who enjoys putting people down for trying to do right. Now I remember why I stopped going on these message boards. Thanks for the answers guys, my dog will always get the good care that he deserves, just like always and I will talk to my vet and see what he says.

I don't see where her answer was any different than the others--it seemed to be the consensus opinion of everyone who replied.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options

My 2 cents....

I can tell you do.

I don't see where her answer was any different than the others--it seemed to be the consensus opinion of everyone who replied.

I agree--we have to remember that with the written word, perception of tone lies heavily with the reader.
  • kellyodoran
    Options
    if your dog is happy after the first run just make sure he is happy after the second.....you know your dog better than anyone, and I walk my weiny dog 4 miles everyday and if she does not feel like going Man does she let me know!
  • kellyodoran
    Options
    Also you take water with you and jogging is not running and a dog can pace themselves perfectly fine! I see no reason not to take your partner with you. Dogs are very tough!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Our JRTs walk 4 miles with us most days. I used to run with the older one - he went on my last 10 k with me, just before I hurt myself) and will likely build both up to running with me again this time around now I'm all better.

6 miles is quite a way early on in training (human and animal). Be guided by whether he's comfy, but do bear in mind that many dogs will just keep going and seem happy to be with you. (My old german shepherd died of a heart attack, chasing after the dog sitter on a bike - she swore he was 'fine' and happy right up until the point where he keeled over)

There is something really lovely - for the dogs and for you - about running with your canine friend.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

My 2 cents....

I can tell you do.

I'm not sure how I'm sounding like a blowhard and putting you down. I simply put information out there at your request. You are the one that implied my tone was one of negativity when, in fact, I think I pretty much said the same things of everyone else that has replied: Be considerate of the heat, as dogs have extremely poor cooling systems and once they overheat, it can be detrimental to their health, don't do too much, too soon--instead, ease into the mileage, and that small dogs really aren't designed to run long distances.

I, too, have 3 dogs who receive walks daily because, I too, want to be a good pet owner (I walk for about 80 minutes, but each dog gets about 1.5-2 miles each--I swap them out as I pass the house on my loop). However, I have no idea of knowing where you live and the weather conditions in said area (until you told me in your response). It was 101 degrees in my city today with oppressive humidity. That temperature on asphalt is simply dangerous for a dog in many ways.

I was not trying to put you down and I truly do not believe I was being mean or trying to degrade you in any way, shape or form. I simply have the best interest of your dog at heart because it's pretty easy for us to tell ourselves when we're overheated, dehydrated, etc. Dogs don't have a voice, and their joy in being with you on a run oftentimes can overshadow the distress that they truly are feeling.