Low Carb Diet (but not as much as Keto)

Options
Hi all,

I have been reading about Keto and crunching the numbers. Although I don't think I can go as low as they recommend for carbs, I do think making a substantial reduction in carbs is a good plan for me.

The interesting thing from what i've read with Keto is you can eat a lot as long as it is low carb, high fat food.

If I don't go as low as the recommended carbs in this plan, can I still eat quite a bit of low carb/high fat food? Do I need to watch out for it a bit more than someone in keto?

Hope my questions make sense, thanks!

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Do I need to watch out for it a bit more than someone in keto?

Yes, absolutely you would need to be more mindful.

Many find eating lower carb and higher fat and protein satiating in general but the eat-as-much-as-you-want advice typically associated with low carb plans is specifically targeted towards people in ketosis. Ketosis matters for the appetite suppressing effect.

What tends to happen is people will naturally gravitate towards eating less often because they're not hungry - many eat 2 meals a day or a couple of snacks & 1 proper meal. Or their calories fluctuate and they have low & high days that balance each other out. So even though it feels like you're eating so much indulgent food and as much as you want of it, when you add it all up, you're eating in a deficit.

Without the appetite suppressing effects of sustained ketosis (and for some even if they are in ketosis) you'll want/need to track something else as well - counting calories or weighing daily are common to make sure the scale is moving in the right direction. Best wishes. :smile:
  • adam212121
    adam212121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - good to hear a bit more on this. I met someone who did the keto thing and it worked really well for them. However, I don't think the full plan would work for me.

My problem (I think) is I eat too much and never feel full. I constantly snack, etc. I feel like I have way to many carbs. I'm guessing if I kept watch of my calories then my carb count would probably go down as well. But ya for me, ideally i'd like to find meals/snacks/lifestyle that doesn't make me think I need food. Obviously some of this is psychological, but at the same point it would be nice to feel fuller after eating.

Thanks!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    adam212121 wrote: »
    Thanks all - good to hear a bit more on this. I met someone who did the keto thing and it worked really well for them. However, I don't think the full plan would work for me.

My problem (I think) is I eat too much and never feel full. I constantly snack, etc. I feel like I have way to many carbs. I'm guessing if I kept watch of my calories then my carb count would probably go down as well. But ya for me, ideally i'd like to find meals/snacks/lifestyle that doesn't make me think I need food. Obviously some of this is psychological, but at the same point it would be nice to feel fuller after eating.

Thanks!

That was true for me too before I lowered carbs. I was eating every 2-3 hours or I was hangry, tired, and shaky. Cutting carbs started to help that within a few days. After a couple of weeks of low carb I was having some success so I went lower to see if it would get even better. It did. It doesn't for everyone.

Self experimentation is the only way to figure out what might work best for you. Just make sure you increase sodium/salt as you lower carbs to avoid symptoms of low electrolytes like fatigue, headaches, brain fog, and weakness.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Also note that you can't snack as often on keto. If you do, you will end up with even tinier main meals because you will not have enough calories for decent meals. Some people experience reduced hunger when they lower carbs so they don't feel the need to snack often. Until you discover through your own experience if you're one of these people, try to tightly control your snacking behavior.

The bolder is not true. You can snack in a ketogenic diet. You could snack half the day if you wished to because you have the same calories available to you as when not eating keto.

I do agree that many choose not to snack if the experience reduced hunger.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Also note that you can't snack as often on keto. If you do, you will end up with even tinier main meals because you will not have enough calories for decent meals. Some people experience reduced hunger when they lower carbs so they don't feel the need to snack often. Until you discover through your own experience if you're one of these people, try to tightly control your snacking behavior.

The bolder is not true. You can snack in a ketogenic diet. You could snack half the day if you wished to because you have the same calories available to you as when not eating keto.

I do agree that many choose not to snack if the experience reduced hunger.

OP is under the impression that it's okay to constantly eat high fat foods in addition to main meals. To have little keto nibbles instead of meals or instead of some of the meals is one way to do it, but since keto is a reduced volume diet already, I would hate to see how main meals look like on the same calories if a significant number of calories is spent on snacks. If snack calories are not tightly regulated, and you eat your typical food volume on top of that during meals, the potential for overeating is high, at least until the person discovers how their satiety reacts to low carb.

I read that differently. I thought the OP felt they constantly snacked and ate too many carbs - not fats.

I have days where I snack often and eat few meals. I eat more often but not more in total because! as you said, my meals are smaller. Other days I only eat once or twice. Either way is doable for keto. Eating less often is mire common.

But I do agree that keeping track of calories, and macros too, when starting a new diet can help one in the long run.
  • arl999
    arl999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started on 1200 calories a day and lost weight but was always hungry. I included rice and fruit (mostly plums) but mostly protein and veg. Ate a lot of raw carrots. But I was starving and compensated with very large quantities (3-400 grams raw) of bland (steamed) vegetables (mostly broccoli and cauliflower). I moved to a low carb, high fat, moderate protein approach. I keep an eye on the protein (60g a day which is about 100gm of meat or fish per meal which looks very little til you get used to it and if I am eating two meals I sometimes up it a bit per meal) and I watch the carbs (20g a day). I have cut out as much sugar as I can (some in milk and some vegetables) and all grains, wheat, pulses, pasta, rice, bread, root veg, all fruit. I have introduced full fat yogurt and mostly drink herbal or black tea (took a bit of getting used to), I eat mostly broccoli, cauliflower (cauliflower rice is delicious, I never knew), courgettes (courgetini is OK and works with pasta sauce), brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans, spinach, lettuce, cucumber. The veg I cook with butter so it is delicious. I do not use any sugar substitutes. I have some 100% chocolate but can only eat a square at a time and sometimes have with dinner as desert. I have moved to 'normal portions' which to start with looked tiny and have moved to eating from a salad plate and not regular dinner plate. I cook with coconut oil and butter. I use more spices and am cooking more than previously. I make curries with yogurt or coconut milk. I include seeds and nuts and will eat some fresh coconut, and occasionally, when needing a sweet treat, a home made powerball which I make with fresh coconut, brazil nuts, pecans, creamed coconut, seeds). I try to not snack since it is mostly habit after dinner when watching TV and not hunger. I am eating less volume but really am not hungry, and enjoying my food much more. For me it feels a much more sustainable long term option that my previous calories counting. I am still needing to lose a lot of weight so do not do any of the keto alternatives (almond flour bread, coconut flour pancakes etc) but will introduce these after October. My goal is to be strict for 6 months (til after the operation) and then ease off a bit and experiment with keto pancakes with nut butter etc. Longer term, during maintenance, I do not plan to be silly and will from time to time eat cake but balance this off with a bit of fasting.

My point in writing is that I think that people need to find their own way to lose weight but it needs to be sustainable for them. I would recommend trying the low carb, high fat, moderate protein approach to see if it works but not to mix and match, ie go low carb , 'high' fat and eat in excess especially the low carb alternatives (keto bread etc). That wont work. The "rules" are eat until not hungry but lets not kid ourselves, this is a lot less than I used to eat and it felt a bit of a shock to start, especially on a full sized plate. But you can eat bacon and eggs (scrambled with butter), buttery cabbage (I cook part butter and part water because I still struggle to overdo the fat!). It does not feel as much as a diet and only eating at set times starts to develop habits where you are not always planning the next meal. Also be warned that High Fat is not excess amounts of fat but high compared to the normal low calorie diets. Clearly the more you eat the less you will lose, so this is about finding a solution to eating less that feels OK.

Example days (I have included days when I ate breakfast but often I would just eat the two meals as shown)
    Breakfast: mushroom, spinach and cheddar 2 egg omelette; Lunch: 2 small chicken thighs, sour cream, broccoli; Dinner, tandoori (yogurt and spices) salmon, cauliflower rice, spinach
    Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs; Lunch: smoked mackerel and salad; Dinner: beef stroganoff, cabbage
    Breakfast: Yogurt, brazil nuts and seeds; Lunch, chicken sitr fried with brussels sprouts; Dinner, Monk fish and prawns, cauli rice, spinach

You could break this into smaller meals/snacks but they do recommend having as long a gap as possible between last and first meal so you might want to have a window within which you snack. For me one of the benefits of this approach is that I am not hungry so do not need to be thinking about food all the time which is a change and better than when I was on the 1200 and kept thinking about if I could afford the calories to eat a plum.

To share some stats, I am 56, have 60kg to lose and have lost 17kg since 21st February, but expect it to slow down as I lose weight. I am not diabetic. I am quite motivated, in that I have an operation scheduled for October and whilst they were happy to proceed now, I asked for a delay so I could lose some weight and it seems to have been the kick start I have lacked in the past. Between 21 Feb and 25 April I lost 6kg (so 3kg a month on 1200 calories a day). I was strict but starving and close to bingeing a lot of the time. From 25th April to 23rd June I have lost 11kg I am fairly strict (zero carbs other than veg, yogurt and nuts), mostly eat 2 meals (because I am not that hungry in the mornings) and have done one 62 hour fast (where I was not that hungry and felt wonderful). I do not track calories any more, but do log all my meals. I expect calorie for calorie the new approach is not all that different but the difference for me is that I am losing weigh but don't feel as deprived and am not nearly as hungry (yes I do wish I could eat cake but the lingering longing is not accompanied by acute hunger which helps).

Going back to the original post, I think fine to reduce carbs but I would not stop counting calories and eating fat unless "going keto" since you could end up in the worst of both worlds and not losing any weight.