Water...how do you drink enough??

Options
lolowjc05
lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
I find that at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I always did great with water. Then...as time passes, it becomes a struggle to drink enough daily. I tend to drink 8 - 10 glasses daily when I am getting enough in. Any tips on how to stay motivated with water intake?

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try something this weekend - because I get plenty while at work but struggle on the weekends.

A gallon water jug - pour exclusively from that so you can SEE your progress.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Habit > motivation

I found that I'll drink water if it's readily available, even if I'm not particularly thirsty, and will go without if not. I do much better during the week in the office than I do when home as I've gotten into the habit of refilling the Tervis I keep on my desk as soon as I empty it. Subsequently, I easily hit 10-12 cups by quitting time so any extra I have in the evening is bonus.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I keep my 24oz water bottle filled and sitting next to me. when it is empty, I fill it again. I have found that just having the water available makes me drink more often.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Same as some others, I keep a gallon jug by my desk in the office and its gone by the end of the day. The weekends are harder....no tips except that as you likely know, it does make such a difference all around.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have one of those cups with the straw in the lid. I add ice, water and top it off with a little crystal light. Gives me a bit of flavor and the ice cold water is great. I drink tons of water that way.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I keep my 36 oz. Yeti cup filled and sitting next to me on my desk. Ice cold water is easier for me to drink. Also, I have the water minder app.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're hydrated...their is no magical number.

I pretty much always have my water bottle with me anywhere I go. I live in the desert at over a mile high, so staying hydrated is pretty stinkin' important.

AAAXRdBz6RQIxoze4cAqj33f0lWqtP9OodMdufQ0-iwFhSI8JqCRN-nxcXE99aNfxIPhpOJDnPa9atp2wiVGoxvYDRvIPB2QLv_2gfG12iEXgpgqwqxwSO8JByqZWK-EVtrFa3MQ5q4q9p8QnA9mSU7PKXHXG2hpGiQ-uQTgF8RqD0OzsMtlt1UCObox54_JXlf1Y9wi_2000x.jpg?v=1519359577
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I drink water with meals and to satisfy thirst between. That's usually enough to keep me well-hydrated. Anything more than what is needed to keep you hydrated (pee not darker than straw-colored, generally speaking) isn't necessary. Other drinks hydrate as well. I just drink water because I like it and I don't like to 'spend' my calories on drinks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I start and end my day with a glass of water. That’s 16 oz out of the way already. There’s a water bottle at my desk at work and a new habit is tea at the office every morning.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I do better during the week at work than I do on the weekends but I have been working on making it a habit. I find as long as I have my first bottle by 10 I can make it to goal by the end of the day. My daughter has an app that she uses, I don't know the name, but it tracks your water to grow virtual plants. If you don't drink enough your plants die. She has my 7 year old grandson using it too, to help him avoid juices so much.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from having a cup of coffee at work, to a 24oz bottle of water within the first couple hours. Usually after that I can hit my goal of around 100oz of water a day, so long as I keep my bottle filled.
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use an app to reminder me to drink enough. Im the sort of person who gets involved in his work and forgets to drink and then ends up dehydrated so I needed something to remind me
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I try to keep water readily available so it can be a reminder to drink more. I personally cannot drink water if it is not ice cold, so I always make sure it is full of ice as well. :)
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I dink far more during the week than at the weekends. I'm a teacher, so I'm constantly speaking, so my throat gets dry and I have to drink. I always keep my bottle on the desk, it gets refilled at need.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem and drink too much water,I'm just constantly thirsty,no diabetes or anything just drink a lot of water
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Like others have said I just keep a bottle of water near me pretty much all the time. I rarely drink anything that isn't water though, so that probably makes it easier too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I count everything I drink (because whether I count it or not, my body does - it all counts for hydration). Coffee, diet soda, iced tea, milk, water, flavored waters, etc.

I track it on MFP just because the tracking thing is there as part of my diary - but I go by urine color, as mentioned above, as an indicator of adequate hydration.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Keep ice water with me all of the time now. And track in MFP. And the mind game I play with myself is if every two weeks I have hit a minimum of 96 OZ daily. Then I can cash in and go to SB for a fatfree sugar free coffee iced with almond milk. Hey I use to go 2-4 times per week. Now is twice a month tops. Saving money and calories.