Getting Started - Need some direction

Options
momtraders
momtraders Posts: 64 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have decided to start working out.
I have a few things planned but I am still feeling overwhelmed to make sure I target each area I am interested in making improvements.

I have ordered 30 day shred and it will be here tomorrow.
I have a total core machine that has levers on it that allow me to do 8 exercises.

I really want to target my butt, upper back, chest and arms.

I feel like the 30 day shred will give me endurance and help drop inches. The total core is building strength but is that enough?

I plan on doing the total core machine 3 times a day at 20 minutes each. That gives me around 100 reps per each move. IE crunches, chest presses ect.

I also try to fit in 15-30 minutes a day walking.

With everything combined that puts me at almost 2 hours working out a day.

Should I change up my routine? How can I incorporate some upper back, butt and chest moves or will 30 day shred cover all of that?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the 30 day shred, but surely, if you ordered it online or from an infomercial, you should be able to find out the claims made about the program and results.

Since you have already purchased the program, the best you can do is try it out and she what happens.

Personally, I find I get the best results when I lift weights (free weights, not machines) following a strength gain program and get daily cardio in the form of walking, hiking or cycling.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You said what parts of your body you want to target, but you also mention losing inches. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to lose weight (fat) or build muscle?
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just start, it is a trial and error. Stay Strong.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Upper back - table pull ups
    Chest - pushup
    Butt - squat/lunge
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with just bodyweight exercises as you're easily able to adjust the difficulty. There's no need to have any machines. But if you prefer than then why not. 30 day shred is mostly cardio, but the breaks in-between exercises are too long to really improve endurance. If it makes you move then why not. I think it used to be available on youtube as well. Worth a look.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is fun, more of a cardio conditioning work out as you use lighter weights. But you will sweat! I would suggest less core machine and more weighted squats and lunges, push ups and planks.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    Upper back - table pull ups
    Chest - pushup
    Butt - squat/lunge

Don't forget the exercise invented by trainers that were part of the Spanish Inquisition: burpees. They are an amazing compound exercise, although generally hated by anyone doing them (especially when your trainer tells you that you only have 10 more).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Two hours a day is a lot when you’re just starting out. You don’t want to start and overwhelm your body and mind with all your goals and burn out. And you don’t want to be so sore you think “I can’t do this” and stop. I’d suggest you ease into it and maybe add ten additional minutes a week if you’re feeling ok.

Rest and recovery time is just as important as working out, best sure and give your body time to heal from the workouts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Two hours a day is a lot when you’re just starting out. You don’t want to start and overwhelm your body and mind with all your goals and burn out. And you don’t want to be so sore you think “I can’t do this” and stop. I’d suggest you ease into it and maybe add ten additional minutes a week if you’re feeling ok.

Rest and recovery time is just as important as working out, best sure and give your body time to heal from the workouts.

Ya, going from 0 to 2 hours a day is a recipe for injury.

Note all the complaints about injuries, mostly knees but also back: https://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

I hurt my knees 9 years ago and still have to baby them.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred back to back twice for 60 days a few years ago. I ate between 1200 and 1600 calories, and I dropped 38 lbs. You need rest days.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you push as hard as you can every day on the 30 day shred, you will be too tired for all that other stuff.
  • LeighLeigh_fit
    LeighLeigh_fit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are going from not working out at all to working out for 2 hours a day? 7 days a week? I am a bodybuilder in prep for a competition and I my workouts take about 2 hours. It’s a lot of time to dedicate to a program and it’s a very aggressive place to start. Be careful that you don’t get burned out.. rest days are as important as nonrest days.
    If your goal is losing weight I can’t stress diet enough! Do you have a diet plan? Please don’t say you are restricting calories like crazy or doing “no carb”. There is a great website called avatarnutrition.com. I used it to reverse diet out of my competition season last year and was still losing weight on over 2000 calories a day and 300+ grams of carbs.
    Please let me know if you have any questions!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred back to back twice for 60 days a few years ago. I ate between 1200 and 1600 calories, and I dropped 38 lbs. You need rest days.

But surely you did not lose 38lbs in 60 days, as that would be a deficit of more than 2000kcal per day. Unless you were 400lbs.

I wish people would add their starting weight, how long it took them and their gender instead of just throwing out numbers here that just strenghen the belief that weightloss has to be quick.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred at the moment, getting to the tail end of Level 1. I'm doing it around 3x a week as I'm also a runner. "30 day shred" is a good title for selling DVD's, its doesn't mean you only get results if you do it daily! I'm new to strength training so its a good way of getting started with body weight and hand held weights for me. There's a few of us doing it in a thread here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10674912/30-day-shred

Its 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs work for a total of 3 circuits. There are no breaks between exercises. Most exercises are compound. I wouldn't describe it as fully cardio but you are constantly moving.

I agree with other people though, don't take on too much too quickly especially if you're new. You'll risk burning out and injuries. The best workout programme is one that is sustainable for you. Its not all or nothing, whatever you start with you can build on it as your body improves.