erinpatsy
erinpatsy Posts: 25 Member
Starting: 163#, 5’6”
Currently in week 4 and at: 158#
Weight loss so far: 5#
Total daily calorie goal: 1200/approx 2# loss a week
Moderate exercise: walking 3 miles a day
Goal weight: 145#

So I know I’ve lost weight and it’s awesome but I feel like I’m starving with my 1200 calories a day goal. So I bumped my calories up to 1500 and set a goal for 1# a week to lose. I was really dead set on trying to lose more than that but I’ve tried fiber foods and upping my protein and I still feel incredibly hungry nearly all day. I doubt I’ll meet my 1500 but at least, in theory, I won’t be hungry all day if I have more than 1200. What worked for you? Will this halt my progress at all?

Replies

• erinpatsy
    Options
    Thank you!
    I was trying to lose more than a pound a week as my husband and I start IVF in August and the meds tend to make you gain weight. Not to mention, if successful, I’d rather start at my ideal weight rather than be even heavier postpartum. But depriving myself daily had left me with fatigue and mad cravings. I’d rather be happy, healthy, and satisfied at the moment. Thanks again!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    erinpatsy wrote: »
    Thank you!
    I was trying to lose more than a pound a week as my husband and I start IVF in August and the meds tend to make you gain weight. Not to mention, if successful, I’d rather start at my ideal weight rather than be even heavier postpartum. But depriving myself daily had left me with fatigue and mad cravings. I’d rather be happy, healthy, and satisfied at the moment. Thanks again!

Sending good thoughts your way <3
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is unrealistic with 13lbs to go, MFP gives you 1200cal because it's the default. Even 1lb/week may be too much, or will be soon. Whatever MFP gives you for 1lb/week or 0.5lb/week is going to be a pretty accurate number, and you should lose just fine. If eating at MFP's number alone isn't helping your hunger, consider playing around with your macros. Different things work for different people.

Pretty much this. At your weight and goal losing 2lbs a week isn't a healthy option. 2lbs a week is for people with a lot more than 13lbs to lose. 1200calories is the lowest that MFP will give you, so it isn't like you were doing anything wrong. MFP was just lying to you about the "if you do this you will lose 2lbs a week" Also correct in the quote above is adjusting your macros. Protein is way better at controlling hunger and can also increase your natural calorie burn. Most default setups from mfp have around a 45-50% calories from carbs...try switching your carbs to proteins and see how you feel.

I'm a 250lb (1.5 x heavier than you) guy that is rarely hungry on a 1650 (1.38 x higher) budget due to this change. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to eat more, but it isn't something that I am struggling with one bit.
  • erinpatsy
    Options
    Thank you, guys! So far I’m already happy I changed it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The meds might stimulate your appetite or possibly some fluid retention but they don’t directly cause you to gain fat. Weight gain due to appetite can be managed with logging and fluid retention doesn’t matter in the long run.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Eat at 1200 while you can. Then, go a little higher for a week, and see how you feel. Do 1600 for a week if that helps satisfy you, and then adjust your intake to lower calories as you feel it is time. As long as you are still eating at a defecit, you are winning and in control.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The meds might stimulate your appetite or possibly some fluid retention but they don’t directly cause you to gain fat. Weight gain due to appetite can be managed with logging and fluid retention doesn’t matter in the long run.

I second this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    erinpatsy wrote: »
    Starting: 163#, 5’6”
    Currently in week 4 and at: 158#
    Weight loss so far: 5#
    Total daily calorie goal: 1200/approx 2# loss a week
    Moderate exercise: walking 3 miles a day
    Goal weight: 145#

So I know I’ve lost weight and it’s awesome but I feel like I’m starving with my 1200 calories a day goal. So I bumped my calories up to 1500 and set a goal for 1# a week to lose. I was really dead set on trying to lose more than that but I’ve tried fiber foods and upping my protein and I still feel incredibly hungry nearly all day. I doubt I’ll meet my 1500 but at least, in theory, I won’t be hungry all day if I have more than 1200. What worked for you? Will this halt my progress at all?

If you've lost 5lbs in 4 weeks then you haven't had a calorie deficit of 1000 a day.

Do you weigh your food?
  • erinpatsy
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m at the end of 4 weeks and nearly at 6 pounds lost. I bumped up my calories to 1500 but have only met that once, which I’m fine with. I feel much more satisfied at this goal and I’ve accepted that losing 2 pounds a week is just not for me. Who knew?! Lol!

I know the meds don’t necessarily make you gain weight; I’ve been on fertility meds on and off the last year so I’m quite familiar with the notorious appetite surges but I was trying to anticipate that with my initial goal. Also knowing I could gain up to 30-40# during pregnancy makes me more inclined to lose weight now as well. All in good time, though!

Thank you again, guys!