From scratch cook frustrated by database

Options
I am frustrated by our database. I am relatively new here, so maybe there are some short cuts to this problem.

I am a cook everything from scratch eater, with a hankering after Indian food, as found in the cookbooks of Madhur Jaffrey, where every recipe is sooooo good, but lists at least 6-7 spices per recipe. So in order to find out what the calorie load is, we have to enter our favourite recipes. And here is where we run into problems.

I tried finding cinnamon bark in the database, and ended up getting every manufactured product listing cinnamon in the title. Ditto for flour. There is floured this, and floured that. Onions are almost as bad because they are buried under every fried onion ring there is to eat out there. Parsley is only found by the teaspoon, so do you have to enter 16 teaspoons to make up a cup? And cloves only send you to garlic cloves, and when you do find them, you can't count them out individually.

Entering recipes is an exercise in frustration. It would be great if there were a separate database for from-scratch cooks. But maybe there are there short cuts that I don't know about yet? Please let me in on your secrets.

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I found "generic-whole cinnamon stick". . .

parsely raw (gives it by the cup). . .

generic- whole cloves
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Entering recipes can be frustrating. But honestly, on spices like cloves and cinnamon bark, I just leave them out. I don't think they add any appreciable calories to the dish.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few keywords like spice - cinnamon and raw - onion. For flour, sometimes just putting the brand name in before makes the list shorter. I also "fudge" it a bit - if something is close in calories, I add that item to my recipe. Hope this helps!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Do you have the app on your phone? It's a little less friendly... but you could barcode scan the packs of everything and they at least would be in 'my foods' next time you went to use them...
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Often times, if you start with the brand name, you'll get to your listing more quickly.
    For instance, try "gold medal flour" instead of just "flour"
    For vegetables and fruits, try "peach, raw" instead of just peach.
    I don't add spices to my diary either because they aren't really adding any significant calories or nutrients.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Indian food lover! I also cook Madhur Jaffrey recipes frequently. what is your favorite? her recipes are the closest I can come to real Indian food, the kind I remember from my year living there.

We cook - a lot. And yes, I do find the database frustrating sometimes but this has helped me:

Change the search option from "name" to "relevance" and see if you prefer that. It helps me find FLOUR instead of flour tortilla, or cinnamon bark instead of cinnamon-sugar covered donuts.

Add "raw" to your search string when looking for fresh vegetables - so, search "red onion raw".

Yes, you need to enter 16 tsp of parsley to equal a cup. that's the best I can do on that.

You're right that whole cloves are tricky! I prefer to find ingredients listed by weight. Many fresh ingredients have multiple listings and some list information by grams (not cloves, unfortunately). Then you can weigh the ingredients going into your recipe and get a much more accurate picture.

I do find the recipe tool a little tricky but we're making it work and having a lot of success with it. I'm glad to find a tool where we can find almost any brand of ingredients, enter our own, and use it create recipes :)

NOW I want Indian food this week! Maybe Goan black-eyed pea curry, though not one of Jaffrey's recipes - it's good :)
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For vegetables, I put "onion raw" into the search. Then I get the raw vegetable, and add it. Since I'm adding the cooking oil separately and all that I just want the raw item. I've given up on spices. Spices are generally zero calories or close to it anyway. I also use the recipe/meal area to save my recipes so I don't have to add them over and over again. I also am trying to cook more from scratch so I'd like to hear how others are doing it. And yes, if I can't find the right amount on an item like parsley, I will put in 16tsp to equal 1 cup or similar things. You can also add your own foods. So you could add parsley again but add it with a 1 cup option.
  • LeonaWFU98
    LeonaWFU98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem - and discovered that, after you choose "add ingredient", when the search interface pops up, choose the option for "name" rather than "relevance." I find that it is much easier to then scan the list for either my particular brand name, or often better yet, the NON-ASTERISK'd option. That's the one that the database came with, so to speak, and wasn't entered by a user. I've found those entries not only to be more accurate, but to have many more options for serving size...thus more helpful for entering recipes (i.e. cup instead of tbsp, etc.)

I hope that helps you as it has helped me :) Good luck!!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You have to say spice,fresh or raw and use the whole proper name like Granulated Sugar or Self Rising Flour. I am a from scratch cook as well and that used to drive me nuts.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I don't add spices to my diary either because they aren't really adding any significant calories or nutrients.

I used to think this until I made a Hungarian goulash that has 1/2 cup of paprika in it.

Did you know that a mere 4 tablespoons of hot paprika has 80 calories, 15 carbs, 10 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein? I didn't believe it myself until I googled and googled and confirmed that yes, paprika in larger amounts DOES contribute nutritionally to a dish.

I still don't bother with a tablespoon of cumin or a teaspoon of tumeric, but paprika - WTF??
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said add more detail and be patient. Save your recipes and/or meals (it allows you to reuse these) The longer you use it the easier it gets. Because it will save what you have used in the past so you can easily find it...but I love adding my recipes to reuse or the meals tab, that way you can reuse it for later...best of luck, I know it's frustrating but stick with it.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    shangsm, good to see another Madhur Jaffrey fan. Tonigh we made Kheema, and the total dish came to 3500 calories, without many of the spices. But a chunk of fresh ginger root came to 80 calories! I then entered her Carrots and Peas with ginger and Chinese parsley, with more of the spices, and that came to 781 calories. Five grams of cumin/1 tsp comes to 22 calories, and give the variety of spices in each dish, they add up.

With these recipes, it is so good to figure out the calorie load before eating. That way, you can weigh the total dish, weigh what you are taking, and make sure that it falls within your calorie allowance.

I want to thank everyone for their tips on how to use the database better. It will be a huge help!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I used to think this until I made a Hungarian goulash that has 1/2 cup of paprika in it.

Did you know that a mere 4 tablespoons of hot paprika has 80 calories, 15 carbs, 10 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein? I didn't believe it myself until I googled and googled and confirmed that yes, paprika in larger amounts DOES contribute nutritionally to a dish.

I still don't bother with a tablespoon of cumin or a teaspoon of tumeric, but paprika - WTF??

WOW!

I'm amazed at all that I learn on MFP.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    shangsm, good to see another Madhur Jaffrey fan. Tonigh we made Kheema, and the total dish came to 3500 calories, without many of the spices. But a chunk of fresh ginger root came to 80 calories! I then entered her Carrots and Peas with ginger and Chinese parsley, with more of the spices, and that came to 781 calories. Five grams of cumin/1 tsp comes to 22 calories, and give the variety of spices in each dish, they add up.

Oh those both sound so wonderful! I haven't had kheema in awhile.

I'm with you - I do like to add spices, especially to Indian food when you're adding teaspoons of 7-8 of them.

You haven't figured out her samosa recipe on here, have you? I haven't fried a food at home since starting on MFP. I think it would be tricky to determine oil absorption.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    shangsm, we haven't figure out the samosas, nor the nan. At least not to our satisfaction. There is so much that is so much easier to cook.

I have not abandoned frying, but I do account for the oil used in my daily totals. I would rather be over, than under in my calculations. Then I adjust portions and exercise. A big Indian meal means that I am going to have to burn more calories, so I can plan more exercise the day before, or the day of a big Madhur Jaffrey meal, or I eat half a portion instead of a full one.

Some people measure the amount of oil they put in, and compare it to what is left in the pan when they are done.

I am simply adding the total oil in the recipe in my final calorie tally. I am going to try cutting back on the quantities of oil that she recommends, without compromizing the results.