Why have I plateaued?

Options
Hello all, I’ve been eating anywhere from 600-1000 calories less than what I burn a day. I do two hours of low impact cardio (broken up between one hour in the morning and one hour at night) keeping my heart rate in my endurance zone the whole time. In about 2 weeks, I’ve lost 5 lbs but now I have plateaued. How is it that I am burning more than I’m consuming yet not losing weight?

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How long since you’ve lost weight? If it’s isn’t long (and it sounds like it isn’t) then it isn’t a plateau.

Could easily be water weight gain due to TOM, excess sodium, waste in the bowel, excess sodium, pretty much anything.

Be patient and read the sticky thread called something like “weight loss isn’t linear”.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10155495/just-another-plateau-and-weigh-in-thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    5lbs in two weeks doesn't sound like a plateau. How long is it since you lost weight? Bear in mind you won't lose every day in a nice, neat line as weight fluctuates for a number of reasons.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    x85yjhvhgvdp.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been through one full menstrual cycle plus a little (say 6 weeks) on the new routine yet, I'd just about lay money on water weight masking fat loss, probably from cycle-related hormone fluctuations. Some women see 5+ pounds of water weight gain at some point during their cycle (and it isn't necessarily at the same point for everyone).

Regardless, if you're tracking carefully and sticking to your healthy routine, and you're not experiencing fatigue due to eating less and exercising more, it's almost certainly water weight, and patience is the answer. In all likelihood, the water weight will drop off within about a week, unveiling a very nice additional fat loss.

Hang in there!
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you deficit is between 600-1000 calories, that’ll put you at roughly losing 1-2 pounds/week. Seems like you’re right on target. Also remember that often when you initially lose weight, it’s water, not fat. Follow the process and you’ll continue to lose.
  • dersarkissian
    dersarkissian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you haven't been through one full menstrual cycle plus a little (say 6 weeks) on the new routine yet, I'd just about lay money on water weight masking fat loss, probably from cycle-related hormone fluctuations. Some women see 5+ pounds of water weight gain at some point during their cycle (and it isn't necessarily at the same point for everyone).

Regardless, if you're tracking carefully and sticking to your healthy routine, and you're not experiencing fatigue due to eating less and exercising more, it's almost certainly water weight, and patience is the answer. In all likelihood, the water weight will drop off within about a week, unveiling a very nice additional fat loss.

Hang in there!

I was experiencing soooo much fatigue. Now my body seems to be getting used to it. I think you’re right, I’m dropping weight again and my body seems to be getting used to my new diet and exercise routine. Thank you!
  • dersarkissian
    dersarkissian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    When I was doing my big weight loss (75 lbs in 18 months), my longest no-weight-loss plateau was 7 weeks or so. HOWEVER, while the weight was not coming off, the inches were.

If you are not measuring, do start. If I had not been measuring I am sure I would have become discouraged. Do at least hips, waist, and neck. Add in other problem areas if you want.

You’re totally right. I’ve definitely been SEEING a change, I just wasn’t getting it on the scale. Thanks for your help!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    When I was doing my big weight loss (75 lbs in 18 months), my longest no-weight-loss plateau was 7 weeks or so. HOWEVER, while the weight was not coming off, the inches were.

If you are not measuring, do start. If I had not been measuring I am sure I would have become discouraged. Do at least hips, waist, and neck. Add in other problem areas if you want.
    I find this to be true also. I’m closer to a good weight range now and it’s coming off slowly. At this point, I seem to be noticing those lost inches even more.