How do you maintain a social life while counting calories?? Any frequent happy-hour goers?

Hi guys :-) You might remember me, since I pop on and off. I always end up leaving MFP after a few weeks because it just effects my social life-not that it's MFPs fault...I just hate logging the food that comes with bars, restaurants, etc. because there's just no working around it. I'm at an good weight (for me) now but not my smallest and I would like to lose 7-ish more pounds. It's only day 2 of being back on MFP and I'm already feeling discouraged. I was supposed to go out to dinner and drinks today, but that easily would've been 1000 calorie outing. 2 drinks (and I drink straight liquor, so no sugary drinks to swap), a shared app, a meal and a dessert and bam no progress for the day.

I eat out Sunday - Thursday with my boyfriend, and yes I can go for salad every time but who really wants to eat salad every day?? Especially with a restaurant bill. So eventually I just think counting calories consistently isn't for me and I'll just come back on whenever things get out of control (aka now lol). That said, I would love to consistently count my calories but I really get discouraged knowing my social life will take a hit- less happy hours, less dinners, less brunches :( .Especially with work, there's always something to celebrate w/ drinks or food.

How did you guys deal with the natural transition of eating in (instead of out) and the effects on your social life?

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    One of the reasons that people gain weight as they get older is that they spend a good part of their twenties and thirties and forties and.... eating out, going for drinks, celebrating, and in general ingesting more calories than they manage to spend during the same time frame.

Different things matter to us at different points in our lives. And we tend make trade-offs to accommodate what, in actual fact, matters to us, as opposed to what we *state* matters to us, or what we *think ought* to matter to us.

As you're no doubt starting to realize, the inevitable endpoint of your current eating habits will have your maintaining at a higher weight than where you think you ought to maintain at.

When the weight issue outweighs (pun intended) the social adjustment issue for you... then you will discover what you're willing to adjust.

That was very insightful advice!

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    I'm going out / having guests 2 days a week on average, and yes, those days I get a lot more than my 1300 calories.
    I do 5:2 to balance it out I dont have a lot to lose, and this had made me able to get a slow, steady loss with noone noticing that I'm "dieting"
    I'm quite sure, that I can ea like I do no for the next several years, so maintenance shouldn't be a problem either
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    One of the reasons that people gain weight as they get older is that they spend a good part of their twenties and thirties and forties and.... eating out, going for drinks, celebrating, and in general ingesting more calories than they manage to spend during the same time frame.

Different things matter to us at different points in our lives. And we tend make trade-offs to accommodate what, in actual fact, matters to us, as opposed to what we *state* matters to us, or what we *think ought* to matter to us.

As you're no doubt starting to realize, the inevitable endpoint of your current eating habits will have your maintaining at a higher weight than where you think you ought to maintain at.

When the weight issue outweighs (pun intended) the social adjustment issue for you... then you will discover what you're willing to adjust.

This x100. My social life used to revolve around happy hours and “networking” events. I stopped being invited to those things about 5 years ago. Those friendships also died a natural death as they were replaced with friends from the gym with the same goals and lifestyle. I’m still social, except when I get together with friends it doesn’t revolve around food and drink. I prefer this me and the way I look at age 43. My “old” friends and social circle prefers food and drink - and it shows. To each their own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    We got out quite often. And I like wine.
    I eat salads. I eat steaks. I eat fish. I choose my sides carefully.
    I'm not afraid to ask for a to go box.
    We don't eat at chains, usually, and I'm always happy when local restaurants offer their calorie counts (Thanks former first lady!)
    You make choices.
  • hotgropp
    hotgropp Posts: 6 Member
    Honestly, it was very hard for me to track when I was in my 20's and had a social life. Now I'm 36, and work and family take care of most of my time (ha), so, it is so much easier to keep it low. Eating out, and seriously, drinking, even a little bit, would send me way, way over every time. I mean, it's liquid sugar. It's not just the drinks themselves, it's what they'd do to my blood sugar afterwards. So, my advice to you would be to do whatever you're going to do after work, go out, but drink a lot of water before, during and after, and make sure you're in the gym the next day, every time. Get around eating salad all the time by doing a lean protein + a veg. Steak and broccoli. Chicken and greens. Whatever. I have to eat this way for other medical reasons now, and you get used to it. Most places have a caprese salad (cheese!) or something similar that's not a bowl of lettuce, but is fresh and lower in carbs. Make sure you get your protein in first, and good luck! Enjoy this time!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    My social life is my meals out with my wife. We don't drink alcohol, so that's not an issue. I drink water or unsweet tea, have salads with no dressing, and try to be sure to keep the entre' calories low.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited June 2018
    I could never eat out 5 nights a week because too expensive and hard to maintain my calorie budget. When I do eat out, maybe once a week I usually can pick items that fit in my calorie budget. I also have go to dishes that I know are lower in calories.

I only order water to drink 95% of the time. I rarely eat dessert.

At a Mexican restaurant, my go to is either fish tacos or fajitas with veggies in place of rice or beans.

At Thai restaurants I usually get a big bowl of tom yum soup.

At Italian places, no creamy sauces. I do red sauce only and nothing fried/parmesan etc

At any chain restaurant that has calorie info, I pick something lower in calories. I often only eat 2 meals on days I eat at a restaurant.

For larger serving sizes, I pack half to go and only eat half.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    I don’t eat anywhere near as often these days due to having a young family so I tend to save some calories through the week, or eat at maintenance on the special occasions we do go out

The frequency your eating out I would
    1. I’d either skip dessert and have a coffee (doesn’t seem awkward if you say no to dessert that everyone’s having if you have something to drink/do while they eat)
    2. Go halves with the appetiser have an appetiser as your main and enjoy dessert
    3. Make the best choice you can in terms of calories: look up menus before hand and have an educated guess using the database about what the lower calorie options that appeal to you are
    4. Leave some one your plate, I’ve found the amount of fries served as sides is much more than I need to feel full so I leave some
    5. Have a few nights a week alcohol free, it will lower your calories and you might feel better for it
    6. Invite your friends around for a dinner party, you’re in full control of food served then

Good luck, your social life doesn’t need to suffer for weight loss but you need to decide what’s the priority: eating what you want when out or weight loss
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    What do you guys do when you're at a banquet, and the only food on offer is fatty, fried Chinese food? This is coming up for me in a few months.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Going out, for me, is a treat. I don't do it often so when I do I don't feel bad about having a starter, main and dessert

However, going out 5 nights a week means it is no longer a treat. I wouldnt feel sad that I am missing dessert because I know I will be going out tomorrow and can have it then. There would be less FOMO (fear of missing out). So I would probably do something like this; Mon have starter and dessert; Tue have starter, salad, dessert; Wed main and dessert; Thur starter and main.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Candyspun wrote: »
    What do you guys do when you're at a banquet, and the only food on offer is fatty, fried Chinese food? This is coming up for me in a few months.

Do you want to have that food? If so, just budget correctly so I could enjoy! I would save up some calories the day before and/or leave 1000+ calories that day for the one meal.

If it is crappy food I know I would rather not have, I'll eat my own food before or after and just take a small plate and only have a few bites. I would stick to any unfried plain rice and veggies if they had any. Usually they have some type of chicken and veggie dish that isn't fried or heavily sauced.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited June 2018
    Candyspun wrote: »

Do you want to have that food? If so, just budget correctly so I could enjoy! I would save up some calories the day before and/or leave 1000+ calories that day for the one meal.

If it is crappy food I know I would rather not have, I'll eat my own food before or after and just take a small plate and only have a few bites. I would stick to any unfried plain rice and veggies if they had any. Usually they have some type of chicken and veggie dish that isn't fried or heavily sauced.

I'm happy to do that, but I won't have any clue how to track the calories in it, because it won't be a franchise restaurant, and I won't know what they put in it. I should add, last time I went, it was fried rice only and then two fatty (fried) meat based meals to serve on top of it. I'll see what I can work out, though.