Do you eat the calories you burn or stick with your original calorie consumption?

2»

Replies

• Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    This will sort you out.
    Remember the info you entered at the start takes into account your exercise and adds it to your TDEE.
    https://www.iifym.com/add-calories-exercise/
    I apologise for my previous posts mistake as I actually meant BMR not TDEE.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I generally eat ~50-75% of my exercise calories back.
  • Metalman224
    If you included your exercise activity level when you input all your information at the start then eating calories back is no good.
    If you input sedentary/no exercise you can eat those calories back.
    It depends which 1 because MFP calculator would take this into account when working out your macros.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    If you included your exercise activity level when you input all your information at the start then eating calories back is no good.
    It depends which 1 because MFP calculator would take this into account when working out your macros.

MFP only asks for daily activity, not exercise as it uses the NEAT method. So, people should be adding their exercise and eating the calories in order to reach their intended deficit.

• Metalman224
    kami3006 wrote: »

MFP only asks for daily activity, not exercise as it uses the NEAT method. So, people should be adding their exercise and eating the calories in order to reach their intended deficit.

I did not know this.
    Thanks
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I don’t trust estimated calories burned on any device. I take cals burned from my Apple Watch and log half of that. Then I eat back half the number I logged. Am I leaving cals on table I could eat? Maybe. But like to er on the side of caution.

Why not just use a TDEE calculation then?

I probably wasn't very precise. My input is a my general rule of thumb on an average day. There are days I know the intesity was really dialed up. e.g., moderate sparring vs. hard sparring to make a real difference. Those days, I will allow my self to input a bit more that 50% of what the device says my caloric burn is - maybe 55-60% and then eat half that back I prefer to input that info manually rather than relying on the parameters of the TDEE. The reverse is true. Some days, I know I was less efficent despite the Apple Watch telling me the contrary. I input 45% and again eat half back. It works for me. Others mileage may vary.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    If I'm in maintenance or bulk, I eat back half. If I'm in a strict cut (currently), I don't eat them back.
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    i try to stick to the amount of calories i allot myself. i don't think i burn as much calories with my workouts as it says i do. i just like to be active as often as possible!
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    I don't understand the deficit thing mfp does. I noticed that they seem to show exercises burning fewer calories than other calculators do.
    Mfp has me down for 1200 calories a day and I don't really have a problem with that as long as I steer clear of processed foods. I usually eat back what I burn in calories, but now I'm not sure if I should be....
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    I don’t trust estimated calories burned on any device. I take cals burned from my Apple Watch and log half of that. Then I eat back half the number I logged. Am I leaving cals on table I could eat? Maybe. But like to er on the side of caution.

Why not just use a TDEE calculation then?

I probably wasn't very precise. My input is a my general rule of thumb on an average day. There are days I know the intesity was really dialed up. e.g., moderate sparring vs. hard sparring to make a real difference. Those days, I will allow my self to input a bit more that 50% of what the device says my caloric burn is - maybe 55-60% and then eat half that back I prefer to input that info manually rather than relying on the parameters of the TDEE. The reverse is true. Some days, I know I was less efficent despite the Apple Watch telling me the contrary. I input 45% and again eat half back. It works for me. Others mileage may vary.

I don’t understand why I am getting wooed. Stanford did a study and even the most accurate of fitness trackers were off by 27%. There is nothing commercially available that is going to give you an accurate count so when I eat back I am going to generally stay on the conservative side.

Same with a TDEE calculator. No TDEE calculator I have easy access to is going to be able to precisely measure me because they don’t have exact data on both my body and exercise regime. My regime changes significantly depending on my short term goals and time of the year. I am willing to hear why I am wrong, but it has worked for me for 6 years. (Again speaking only for me.)

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Good luck with the gym! i got into OTF in April, but kept injuring myself (my own fault) :P I am debating stopping completely, and concentrate on running.

I have never added calories for exercise. I find that if I am exercising a lot and I get random "real hungers" randomly (usually middle of the night) then I eat. It doesn't happen regularly though. Everyone is different (as are our goals) and I see people eating some of the exercise calories. Track and monitor to see what works :)

I am currently eating 1300, but may experiment with every second day at 1350 or 1400. I am 5'1 (female). I am about 15pds from goal weight.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    I always eat back the calories..mpf set to lightly active if I remember correctly and I log if I do heavy cleaning sometimes, but always log my weight training sessions, walking, roller blading, and bike riding. I eat over the calorie and excercise alottment many days.. averaging about 2500/day over 18000/week since Jan .. I'm recomping and weight has stayed the same give or take 3lbs since then.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    I only eat 1/2 of mine back to make sure I don't over eat.
  • orthodoxgirl
    orthodoxgirl Posts: 2 Member
    LaurTucker wrote: »
    I know it’s a silly question ..... maybe! But I do orangetheory and burn about 600+ calories. Do I eat those calories or stick with my original 1200 calorie goal. Thanks in advance

I think the calories in the fitness pal database are too high. They are way higher than the equipment calculates at my gym. When I ate my exercise calories I did not lose weight. I have stopped eating a 100% of exercise calories.