9 of the SCARIEST Food Facts...

Options
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/9-scariest-food-facts

I'm a little freaked out right now, honestly. Especially number four. Just thought I'd share the article with you all.. D:

Replies

• callmecorinne
    Options
    i'm freakin' out here! i wanna know what those foods were and what the actual count is now! lmao. :||
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, but man, the early reference to Soylent Green really really had me worried. ~chuckling~
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    That is really scary! Very interesting article!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Although I disagree with the part about it costing more to buy nutritious food. . . That is not always the case. . . For instance if you buy a lot of processed food in the freezer section of the store versus quality produce. . .

It can actually be cheaper to stick to raw foods. . It just depends on what you eat. . . I for one don't buy red meat. . things that are gosh 8 or more per lb. . .

Very informative article though thank you for sharing.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Kind of makes me glad I am a vegetarian who drinks organic dairy, fruits, and veggies and who limits fast food to a few times a month! Goodness! Thanks for the food for thought! :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This is why I eat primarily from within 100 miles of my home. I know where the majority of my food comes from. Some of my produce is from farther but, I'm told the farms they from. It's a blessing to have companies around me that specialize in this. I know it is not available everywhere.

edit - I disagree with the cost. Eating local and nutritious can be done on a budget. I feed 2 on about $200 a month. It could be cheaper but there are things I won't budge on.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Some of this is definitely true, but lots of it is only partially or occasionally true and I take it with a grain of salt. Most of all, I have to say that the 'Eat This, Not That' guy never fails to annoy me. I think he's an alarmist that enjoys freaking people out and has made himself a nice million-dollar industry out of scaring people.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Ugh... lets just make America more paranoid that it already is. This is just a reason now for "organic" and "health food" companies to jack up prices with these outrageous claims.

That's why good food is expensive. We are willing to pay more money for basically the same food but with a "guarantee."
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Oh god, not another one of these articles. *smh*

LMAO
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Some good points, some not. I read that column regularly and you really have to take what the guy says with a grain of salt.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Very informative and just another reason why I gave up eating out a long, long time ago...Thanks for sharing... :flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest,that article will not change the way I eat at all.
  • ashliz2012
    Options
    Kind of makes me glad I am a vegetarian who drinks organic dairy, fruits, and veggies and who limits fast food to a few times a month!

The first thing I thought when I saw most of this was "I'm glad I don't eat meat or most of the other stuff on that list." lol
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest,that article will not change the way I eat at all.

Same here..
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    wow thats crazy and just read the other articles about supermarket lies i bet 95& of the food we eat is fake
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    The number 4 makes sense thought...

How can a restaurant have the exact calorie count ever time??? Someone different makes the dish each day... They may have larger hands when they grab that shredded cheese... or may toss in extra oil ... It isn't realistic to think that my chicken burrito from Chipolte will be the same calorie count that is listed online. Nothing is exact.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    1. Nutritious food costs 10 times more than junk food
    That is a ridiculous statement and it is made so that people will continue to buy crap because in reality, the grocery stores make more money on the crap than they do on the healthy fruits and veggies and meats and whole grains. I don't eat crap, my family doesn't eat crap we eat healthy and my grocery bill is half of what it use to be. The more crap we put in our system the more we will need to see the doctors....the more taxes the government can collect from the doctors.....big vicious government circle.
    What a load!
  • radiantlyhealthy
    radiantlyhealthy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Very helpful. :smile:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Oh god, not another one of these articles. *smh*

LMAO

I agree