P90X Bulk Custom Routine?

Options
I have a goal to bulk up and I'm doing so with P90X muscle workouts. I went through the CDs and created a custom routine and I was wondering if it would be too much in one group or not enough of a type of exercise or anything like that:

Sunday - Shoulder & Arms
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Chest & Back
Wednesday - Legs & Back
Thursday - Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Back & Biceps

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Honestly? It looks like a poorly designed, randomly thrown together hodgepodge with no rationale behind it.

You'd be much better off following a routine designed by a professional who knows what they're doing, such as one of the many in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why back 3x and legs only once?

Either do p90x as designed, or if you don't like it, pick something else from the link above.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Honestly? It looks like a poorly designed, randomly thrown together hodgepodge with no rationale behind it.

You'd be much better off following a routine designed by a professional who knows what they're doing, such as one of the many in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I agree with this. It's very random and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're working your upper body, many of the same muscle groups, on consecutive days and only legs one time. It's ineffective and inefficient.
  • natethebait
    natethebait Posts: 27 Member
    Options

This workout is convenient and doesn’t require much equipment plus it works many of my target areas. The 1 leg day is enough to cover for the week according to my research.

I agree with this. It's very random and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You're working your upper body, many of the same muscle groups, on consecutive days and only legs one time. It's ineffective and inefficient.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This workout is convenient and doesn’t require much equipment plus it works many of my target areas. The 1 leg day is enough to cover for the week according to my research.
    Sounds like you've already answered your own question to your satisfaction and don't need any advice, then. Good luck to you.
  • natethebait
    Options
    Sounds like you've already answered your own question to your satisfaction and don't need any advice, then. Good luck to you.

I’ve never once attempted bulking in my life and I don’t have any idea what I’m doing. I thought this was a good idea because it rotates out my muscles and transitions into a different group.
  • natethebait
    Options

Either do p90x as designed, or if you don't like it, pick something else from the link above.

I’m doing P90X to bulk it this is modified to do that more efficiently. Legs day once is enough to not make me look disproportionate and matched my muscle training. The back 3x isn’t planned, its just part of the program, I’m more of doing back & biceps for the biceps. Basically I’m just building a base for bulking with what I have.

• TavistockToad
    Options

I’m doing P90X to bulk it this is modified to do that more efficiently. Legs day once is enough to not make me look disproportionate and matched my muscle training. The back 3x isn’t planned, its just part of the program, I’m more of doing back & biceps for the biceps. Basically I’m just building a base for bulking with what I have.

So you know better than the creator of p90x then? You should sell your own programme...

Again, if you don't actually want critique, why post?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Sorry but p90x is probably the worst or one of the worst routes to go about for a bulking program

OP does not want to know that!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Another person, who has come looking for the answers they seek, not advice from peeps who know a thing or three...go and do what you wanna do, see if it works, check out the results and then come back or use the thread posted for some solid programmes which work, if you have never bulked before, or have not been weight lifting or training for at least 5 years...
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

We, the people who have responded to your thread, have been lifting for years and have bulked and cut successfully multiple times. If you don't want our advice, then best of luck to you. As I first stated, your program is extremely inefficient and will not yield optimal results. Legs 1x a week is fine...if you're on juice. If you aren't, please reconsider your approach.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So according to your research back training on back to back days allows for proper recovery? Certainly something is better then nothing but your risking injury. Convenience? You could work Full body compound 3 days, 3 total hours a week and make much more progress then this layout.
  • natethebait
    Options
    Sorry but p90x is probably the worst or one of the worst routes to go about for a bulking program

OP does not want to know that!!

Actually that exactly what I want to hear...

• natethebait
    Options

What’s a good home workout for bulking?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

look at the link upthread
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

There are a variety of workouts in the link posted above. And while dumbbell training in a well structured fashion can work, its not going to be optimal and is going to have limitations based on weight progression. Because legs are very easy to gain a lot of strength quickly and to gain muscle you need to progressively add weight, reps, sets and/or tension... Aka progressive overload.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what research said 1 x weekly for leg routine was good for bulking.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'd like to know what research said 1 x weekly for leg routine was good for bulking.

For realz!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I will say, while its not optimal, if you want to follow videos, Body Beast is a much better routine than P90X. I think there are better routines, but its an option. But its definitely a typical bro-split.