Keeping it simple and being accountable

Options
SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
I had a bad week with respect to my weight loss and my attitude. I had several events, including my best friends wedding and a family reunion and I just kind of gave up. I'm up 3-4 pounds this morning, which isn't surprising. I know it's not all "fat" gain, but it was still depressing. I've also quit smoking in the last month so that may be contributing to my general anger, hunger and frustration as well.

I've been participating in a weight loss program at work called Omada. I figured it would be a good tool in my tool box so to speak. I also liked that you have a coach, someone to be accountable to. Well, my "coach" has never once coached me. Never asked me personally how I'm doing or asking why I'm bouncing back and forth with the same few pounds. While I'm frustrated with this, the truth is I'm the only person accountable for what I put in my mouth. I will say, I'm glad my company picked up the $600 tab for this "program" because I think it's a waste of money.

So, the accountability is mine. I've not been as accountable as I should be. I do great during the week and completely ruin things Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. I need to shift the accountability back to me and quit blaming the boyfriend for the drinks or the family for the food or the weekends at the cabin to eat and drink as I please.

I've lost 55 pounds before (although I've gained 10 back), I know how to do this. For me it's keeping it simple. It's also not drinking. This is the single biggest factor for me. I need to be able to keep it to a few drinks once or twice a week. I also can't over complicate it. I bounce between MFP, Fitbit and the program referenced above. It's exhausting. I trade calories here and there to try to compensate for over indulgences. I need to get back to the basics and that is proving to be harder than I thought.

I'm also trying to balance the fact that I'm not a failure with the fact I'm not where I need to be. I've learned that loving yourself along this journey is one of the most difficult parts. I put the photo below together this morning to try and remind myself I've done tremendous things, but I'm capable of more. One is from two years ago and the other from this weekend. I believe it's fundamental for each of us to fall in love hard, and forever with ourselves, because we are enough just as we are, and I'm working on getting there.

I am in another friends wedding in 3 months and I want to make this next 3 months really count, so today I need to get back to the basics of keeping it simple and taking accountability even when its neither easy or simple. Weight loss is simple. Very simple. It's just not easy. I wish you all a great week, thank you for letting me rant. 3i737aw8audp.jpg

Replies

• navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, glad you said it out. It is a mind game, never ever give up.

Stay Strong.
  • jmagz99
    jmagz99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! No wedding for me, but I tend to lose weight just in time for a vacay or summer & then gain it right back during the summer months when its too hot to workout or cook at home & we end up eating out often.

I also tend to slip during Fri, Sat, & Sun too hehehe.. totally all on me too!

Good luck & keep your head up! You're totally not alone 😁
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the workplace program. I’m getting kinda nervous since this week there’s a follow-up of the wellness program my workplace has - back in January there was a wellness/health lecture (mandatory), and voluntary InBody body composition measurements and one-on-one discussions with a coach. The follow-up is this Thursday, and I’m getting pretty nervous to see what has happened to my body fat percentage. The only accountability the program has provided, though, has been the fact that the entire work community wanted to add ”have you met your wellness program goal” to our weekly reporting as a thing to report. It’s a yes-or-no question, the goals are private and personalized, and nobody has been pressured to share, but simply answering the question every week has kept the goal in my mind, at least. The goal I set with my coach was to go to bed at 10pm instead of 11pm, so it wasn’t even weight loss related.

As for your balancing between MFP and Fitbit, why not just combine them? I have the apps synced, and the Fitbit app shows directly what my burn vs. intake is, and the Fitbit browser dashboard even has a view that tells you what your deficit for the week thus far is. I use MFP for food logging, weight & measurement tracking and community, and Fitbit to track my activity, workouts, heart rate and deficit.