Anyone here follow a whole food plant based diet?

Options
I've been eating WFPB for almost two years now and I feel great eating this way.

At the end of December I set a goal to have at least one salad a day every day. I'm proud to say I've eaten somewhere around 160 salads this year.

Looking for more WFPB friends so add me if you are.

Replies

• ltomanek
    ltomanek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am WFPB. I love the way I feel eating this way but using MFP has made me realize that some of my go-to meals have almost no protein and most days I don't meet my protein quota. When I do, a large percentage of my protein comes from whole grains (which I am currently not eating) so it has been tricky.

Similar boat. I eat a HC/WFPB diet and I want to cut body perfect fat without loosing to much weight or having to bulk. Getting enough protein to build muscle while keeping my weight relatively steady has been a little tricky. Currently experimenting to see what works.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Yes, it’s the best way for me to eat. The structure of the HFPB diet helps me to avoid those foods that I have no self control over.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am WFPB. I love the way I feel eating this way but using MFP has made me realize that some of my go-to meals have almost no protein and most days I don't meet my protein quota. When I do, a large percentage of my protein comes from whole grains (which I am currently not eating) so it has been tricky.

There's only so much quinoa, tempeh, seitan, and beans one can eat while not getting enough protein. Plant-based eating works for some people, and I wish I had been one of them, haha.

I keep thinking that I want to take another stab at it, as I haven't been feeling my best lately, but the constant hunger and unexplained aggression I had when I was plant-based two years ago haunt me. I ate lots of fat, fiber, and protein, and was still starving on top of feeling awful. I got my B-12 from spirulina, so that wasn't the issue, either.

I'm just not built for it, I guess.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I have this issue, too, of not getting the recommended amount of protein. Always looking for tips regarding this.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    I've been eating WFPB for almost two years now and I feel great eating this way.

At the end of December I set a goal to have at least one salad a day every day. I'm proud to say I've eaten somewhere around 160 salads this year.

What constitutes Whole Foods Plant Based? I mean, I get eating healthier with more veggies and fruits, but does it mean not eating meat, fish, poultry, dairy, etc? Please clarify :)
  • iowalinda
    Options
    SagePeach wrote: »
    I'm currently transitioning to a more wfpb way of eating. I have a daily checklist that I follow, and one of the items on it is a large, mixing bowl sized salad :)

What is on your daily checklist? Trying to learn more :)
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to transition myself toward that slowly. I have a lot of food sensitivities and so forth. As do my children. So, i have to stay away from gluten and soy. But also dairy sometimes gives me digestive problems. So I try to limit that too. I have a lot of diabetics in the family so I try to watch sugar also. I have plent enough health problems all on my own I don’t need to add another one. I have found that on the occasions that I cheat and have some of these things, I feel awful. Maybe it’s just that my bod isn’t used to having them. But I do feel much better eating mostly a plant based diet.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    I have been trying to transition myself toward that slowly. I have a lot of food sensitivities and so forth. As do my children. So, i have to stay away from gluten and soy. But also dairy sometimes gives me digestive problems. So I try to limit that too. I have a lot of diabetics in the family so I try to watch sugar also. I have plent enough health problems all on my own I don’t need to add another one. I have found that on the occasions that I cheat and have some of these things, I feel awful. Maybe it’s just that my bod isn’t used to having them. But I do feel much better eating mostly a plant based diet.

Dairy turns my stomach into a nasty mess. I really pay for it when I consume dairy.
  • marishkarip520
    marishkarip520 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a developmental disability and on four medications for it and live in a semi independent group home and when I move to an independent living place called JESPY House, I am eventually going vegan but right now I just refuse meat,fish, eggs and milk, because I am not allowed to cook and have a chef cook my meals and every time I have to throw away the meat because it is served at every meal!! I have problems with my semi independent living home not giving me enough healthy food options!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

What constitutes Whole Foods Plant Based? I mean, I get eating healthier with more veggies and fruits, but does it mean not eating meat, fish, poultry, dairy, etc? Please clarify :)

It's a new-ish label being used to avoid using the terms vegetarian/vegan.

I follow a whole foods based diet myself, and I would certainly offer that it is plant-based. I eat plenty of animal-based protein as well, but my plate is filled with well more veg than meat.

WFPB is actually WFPE (Whole Foods Plant-Exclusive).
  • katepool77
    katepool77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m a fan of a plant based diet but it isn’t for everyone and doesn’t work with everyone’s body. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t do enough research before diving in and doing it incorrectly can cause a lot of health problems and cause lack of nutrients and feelings of low energy or always being hungry.
    I’m curious about the lack of protein though, because it shouldn’t be too hard to get enough. Actually a lot of people think they need more protein than they do so I’d suggest making sure your protein goal is on track. Beans, quinoa etc aren’t the only sources of whole food protein; actually most whole foods have a little bit and a lot of vegetables including broccoli, spinach, artichokes, even mushrooms have protein. On a vegan diet, B12 and iron are actually the harder things to come by; mostly B12, and a lot of people need to take a supplement for that. There is a whole food vegan food pyramid that sets out how much of each group you should be eating that I find helpful.