Anyone here follow a whole food plant based diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahhodges932
    sarahhodges932 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To get B12 I use Nutritional/Savoury yeast powder (different countries seem to have a different label for the same thing). I sometimes use it to make a “vegan” cheese (Nutritiknal yeast, soaked Cashew nuts, chives, blend... heaps of variations). A tablespoon is sufficient for B12 needs, so if you don’t love the taste it’s not so much that you can’t hide it in food.

I’m struggling heaps with hitting my macros for Protein - normally Carbs over, protein and fat under. I add a plant based protein powder to a morning smoothy which means I’m not dramatically under my protein goal.. but if I miss it I am. I don’t want to have any processed food in my diet so getting off that protein powder is the end goal. I know that I can get protein from pulses/ veg but even if they’re high in protein, they all seem to have more carb than protein so it throws things out of whack.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I follow the Mediterranean food Pyramid. Which makes a majority of my diet WFPB. I do eat fish and some low fat dairy to go with it. But overall, the increased fiber and carb content have given me more energy and have helped with some digestion/malabsorption issues I was having.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am WFPB. I love the way I feel eating this way but using MFP has made me realize that some of my go-to meals have almost no protein and most days I don't meet my protein quota. When I do, a large percentage of my protein comes from whole grains (which I am currently not eating) so it has been tricky.

There's only so much quinoa, tempeh, seitan, and beans one can eat while not getting enough protein. Plant-based eating works for some people, and I wish I had been one of them, haha.

I keep thinking that I want to take another stab at it, as I haven't been feeling my best lately, but the constant hunger and unexplained aggression I had when I was plant-based two years ago haunt me. I ate lots of fat, fiber, and protein, and was still starving on top of feeling awful. I got my B-12 from spirulina, so that wasn't the issue, either.

I'm just not built for it, I guess.

I don't know what caused your issues, but spirulina is not a reliable source of B12. It may even interfere with B12 absorption. If you ever decide to try going plant-based again, I recommend supplementing or eating fortified foods instead of spirulina.

I will say that when people implement additional restrictions on top of veganism (like only eating whole foods) it can sometimes make it difficult to eat enough or to meet all nutritional needs.

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12-plant-foods/#spiru

This is brand new information. I'm interested in trying nutritional yeast, and that is a very popular source of B-12. Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am WFPB. I love the way I feel eating this way but using MFP has made me realize that some of my go-to meals have almost no protein and most days I don't meet my protein quota. When I do, a large percentage of my protein comes from whole grains (which I am currently not eating) so it has been tricky.

There's only so much quinoa, tempeh, seitan, and beans one can eat while not getting enough protein. Plant-based eating works for some people, and I wish I had been one of them, haha.

I keep thinking that I want to take another stab at it, as I haven't been feeling my best lately, but the constant hunger and unexplained aggression I had when I was plant-based two years ago haunt me. I ate lots of fat, fiber, and protein, and was still starving on top of feeling awful. I got my B-12 from spirulina, so that wasn't the issue, either.

I don't know what caused your issues, but spirulina is not a reliable source of B12. It may even interfere with B12 absorption. If you ever decide to try going plant-based again, I recommend supplementing or eating fortified foods instead of spirulina.

I will say that when people implement additional restrictions on top of veganism (like only eating whole foods) it can sometimes make it difficult to eat enough or to meet all nutritional needs.

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12-plant-foods/#spiru

This is brand new information. I'm interested in trying nutritional yeast, and that is a very popular source of B-12. Thanks!

I love nutritional yeast! If you decide to try it out and want to use it as a source of B12, just make sure the kind you buy is fortified with B12 (most of it is, but I've seen some without it). You should be able to easily see it on the label of the container -- the B12 content will be listed.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love veganism and thrive on it as well. Totally enlightening! BTW... I am sure this post is simply about eating a plant based diet - not related to weight loss right? Because I see a lot of comments about proteins, etc. If the only concern is weight loss we could lose weight eating twinkies and pizza all day long... as long as we're in a calorie deficit. We all know this by now right? lol! So with veganism supplementation of various vitamins and nutrients is always recommended. I found that as long as I had a large variety of plant based foods in my diet I didn't need to supplement. I also wouldn't fall into the trap of "replacement" products.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love veganism and thrive on it as well. Totally enlightening! BTW... I am sure this post is simply about eating a plant based diet - not related to weight loss right? Because I see a lot of comments about proteins, etc. If the only concern is weight loss we could lose weight eating twinkies and pizza all day long... as long as we're in a calorie deficit. We all know this by now right? lol! So with veganism supplementation of various vitamins and nutrients is always recommended. I found that as long as I had a large variety of plant based foods in my diet I didn't need to supplement. I also wouldn't fall into the trap of "replacement" products.

I agree. I eat a large variety pack of raw veggies every day. I don't feel the need to supplement with any thing special. I don't even take a multivitamin. Variety is key. I also don't worry about macros, I check back thru once in while just to make sure they aren't out of whack but they balance them selves out on their own. I generally don't eat tofu products not a fan unless its part of Sushi dish or something.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

I agree. I eat a large variety pack of raw veggies every day. I don't feel the need to supplement with any thing special. I don't even take a multivitamin. Variety is key. I also don't worry about macros, I check back thru once in while just to make sure they aren't out of whack but they balance them selves out on their own. I generally don't eat tofu products not a fan unless its part of Sushi dish or something.

Same here! A few years ago I did a 30 day vegan challenge. Went cold turkey without doing any research. I ended up severely anemic and went back to some animal products. I then took some time to do thorough research and went about it the right way making sure all of my requirements were covered without the assistance of supplements or replacements. It's awesome! I do track my macro's carefully as I partake in competitive sports and am a lead boxing coach and MMA coach so I have to be aware of my level of fitness at all times. I can't just talk the talk you know? :smile: Actually... not sure if you can tell but in my profile photo I am holding up a pink tank top that reads "F*** Animal Cruelty" heehee!

• breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hit me up if you need any plant based friends! Open diary
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I've been eating WFPB for almost two years now and I feel great eating this way.

At the end of December I set a goal to have at least one salad a day every day. I'm proud to say I've eaten somewhere around 160 salads this year.

Looking for more WFPB friends so add me if you are.

What constitutes Whole Foods Plant Based? I mean, I get eating healthier with more veggies and fruits, but does it mean not eating meat, fish, poultry, dairy, etc? Please clarify :)

It's a new-ish label being used to avoid using the terms vegetarian/vegan.

I don't think it's to necessarily avoid using the term vegan, but rather to be clear that you're only adhering to the dietary restrictions of a vegan, but are not actually vegan (eg: you might still use leather or other animal products in everyday life).

You beat me to it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

This was pretty much my experience as well when I was inadvertently mostly plant-based when living in yoga retreat centers. I did supplement with B vitamins, so that wasn't it.

Philosophically, I'd love to be vegan, but it just doesn't suit me.

Also, after three years of being surrounded by tofu, I still can't stand the stuff, and it's been 14 years. Can't eat cooked oatmeal anymore, either.
  • DanniInProgressmfp
    DanniInProgressmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm working on transitioning to a wfpbno diet. I am a former junk food addict...and I do tend to slip up under stress (chips and candy). I do feel better eating whole food and the day after binges are the worst. Feel free to add
  • ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Deer are plant eaters & I eat plenty of deer meat so does that make me a plant based eater? :)

Good on you, hunting is THE most ethical way to eat meat as well as being a necessity for pest control, I always wished I could get more people to understand that. I don't hunt myself because licenses are expensive but I know enough people who do that it's not unusual for me to wind up with so much deer sausage I have to start feeding it to the dog to make freezer space. I don't eat processed food at all anymore though and just cook all my food at home. (cheaper that way anyhow!) Veggies are probably about 70% of every meal.
    I have a developmental disability and on four medications for it and live in a semi independent group home and when I move to an independent living place called JESPY House, I am eventually going vegan but right now I just refuse meat,fish, eggs and milk, because I am not allowed to cook and have a chef cook my meals and every time I have to throw away the meat because it is served at every meal!! I have problems with my semi independent living home not giving me enough healthy food options!

No offense but this doesn't sound healthy at all. Whatever's left on the plate probably isn't making for any kind of sustainable diet. Full veganism is something you have to approach with a lot of planning and care.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I've been eating WFPB for almost two years now and I feel great eating this way.

At the end of December I set a goal to have at least one salad a day every day. I'm proud to say I've eaten somewhere around 160 salads this year.

Looking for more WFPB friends so add me if you are.

What constitutes Whole Foods Plant Based? I mean, I get eating healthier with more veggies and fruits, but does it mean not eating meat, fish, poultry, dairy, etc? Please clarify :)

It's a new-ish label being used to avoid using the terms vegetarian/vegan.

I follow a whole foods based diet myself, and I would certainly offer that it is plant-based. I eat plenty of animal-based protein as well, but my plate is filled with well more veg than meat.

WFPB is actually WFPE (Whole Foods Plant-Exclusive).

I’m WFPB. It means you eat only fruit, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and legumes. No meat. No dairy. No processed foods. Typically low salt and sugar and no oil.
  • tytilghman
    tytilghman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do! For years I switched back and forth between vegan and vegetarian and now have committed myself to a WFPB diet. I'm going through sugar withdrawal as we speak ><'
  • Pennylite
    Pennylite Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am thriving on a WFPB diet. Took me a few months to get my head round it initially. That was around 9 months ago when I first read Dr Joel Fuhrman’s Eat To Live. I now exercise 5 or 6 times weekly & feel fit & well. My blood pressure has dropped right down & remained down. I’m just about to have my cholesterol tested. Can highly recommend WFPB to anyone drawn to it.