Water...how do you drink enough??

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally don't watch my water intake because I have well-developed thirst signals, so it's not an issue for me. There are days where I barely drink any. These days mostly happen in the winter when I don't need as much water and when I've had enough of it through food (soups, vegetables, fruits, milk...etc).
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My old PT once told me you need 2 litres a day.
    Plus a litre if you're training.
    Plus a litre if you're having coffee/tea/alcohol.

Adds up pretty quickly but I find I notice the effects if I don't hit at last 3 litres a day.

I just keep a full water bottle on my desk at work and one on the kitchen counter at home, that way I can always just take a swig!
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle with me everywhere I go....literally everywhere. I have a 21oz bottle, and know I only have to drink it 3 times to get in the water my body needs. Sometimes I add water flavoring to change it up, but for the most part I just drink plain water.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    As most have said having water on hand is the key, and make it more interesting if you want to.

My wife is on the go a lot so she has a water bottle with her that attaches to her bag. Each time she goes out she adds a couple of ice cubes that have either lime of lemon in them to add a bit of flavour and keep the water cooler.

I work at a desk so I drink 500ml when I get to work and then have 500 ml in a glass on my desk, usually it is gone by lunch and I didn't even notice I was drinking it. Repeat the process for the afternoon.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I never ever saw anyone carrying a water bottle around until I was in my 40’s. Hydration is important, but the modem obsession with carrying water with you at all times is an invention of the bottled water industry.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I hate plain water, so I found something I like and right now, although I'm buying water in plastic bottles (yes, shame on me), it is working and has worked for about 2 years now. I was always good about drinking water in warm weather--but I live in the upper midwest and it is not actually warm for about 8-9 months/year. So I had to find a way to be consistent.

I will tackle my bad water habit at some point down the road. I have access to filtered water at work and will figure out the best way to filter water at home--just not right now. I can only handle one change at a time and this is a relatively low priority for me, b/c I do recycle and at least I do that.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I drink it all day long with lemon in it.
  • lolowjc05
    lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!! I am going to take a Tervis to work when I go back in August and just keep it there and refill. Now, I just need someone to watch my kiddos when I need to pee every couple hours. Ha, ha...teacher problems.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I get my hydration in the form of coffee (about 42oz/day), flavored sparkling waters (about 64oz/day) and ice tea (about 64oz/day). That's enough "water" to keep my pee light yellow.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I had downloaded Plant Nanny to get me drinking more water. Gives you reminders to drink/log your water, and you watch your plants grow. Cute and it gets you to drink!
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a medical problem that requires me to drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fiber. I have found that eating Fiber One cereal DRY (it tastes better that way anyway and it doesn't make a mess at my desk) and drinking water whenever my mouth gets dry (just about every bite) covers both of these needs. I use a water bottle and end up drinking about 5 glasses of water while I eat 1.5 servings of cereal (only 90 calories with 21g of fiber) over a one-hour period. It is also filling, so that is my morning snack and I find I don't want anything else to eat. Of course, I pee a lot the rest of the morning, but my office is close to the bathroom so that is OK. On weekends, I play computer games while I eat it.
  • isaiahfap_216
    isaiahfap_216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to get to a point where I can drink 2.5 litres of plain water comfortably. This was from an average max of about 750ml (including soft drinks).

I paced myself throughout the day, and as some people have already mentioned, I reduced my intake of drinks that weren't water (not including herbal teas), and check out the colouration of urine as well.

my skin is a very good indicator of whether or not I drink enough. It dries very easily if I don't drink enough for a week consistently.