Beginning walking

Options
Any stretch tips to get back into walking? I start walking a 2 mile route and stop 2 times because my lower back hurts.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You might look at YouTube for strength training exercise 2-3 times per week that focus on core strength to help with the back pain.

If a two mile route is too difficult for you right now without stopping, consider taking shorter walks several times a day instead of two miles all at once.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Someone else had a similar question - see this reply to it:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41258010#Comment_41258010
    If you don't sit a lot, you can skip the hip stretch.

If those tips don't help in a few days, try to see a sports doctor, physical therapist, etc. :+1:
  • Optasia
    Optasia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tend to stretch, walk a bit and then stretch more along the way. Definitely helps! Not I can go 5+ miles when I could hardly do 2 at first. You’ll get there!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I never stretch a cold muscle. Walk a bit, stretch, walk a bit more. I agree that going from nothing to 2 miles might be too much, too soon. If you start feeling pain elsewhere--feet, knees, cut your distance a lot and then add 10% per week (that's how runners add distance, so maybe you could get away with 20% per week). Good luck and enjoy the exercise, no matter how slow or the distance you walk.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1) dynamic stretches first, never stretch cold muscles.
    2) good shoes will help avoid joint and back pain
    3) slow build up. if you want you can do c25k only walk. walk normal for the walking portions, walk faster for the running portions.
    4) take rest days
    5) stretch at the end-static stretches are fine when the muscles are warmed up.

i like to do sun salutations to warm up. or more traditionally walking lunges, speed skaters, grapevines
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Start with great shoes
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Any stretch tips to get back into walking? I start walking a 2 mile route and stop 2 times because my lower back hurts.

Are you carrying a lot of weight? Not accusing just curious. When I started I was about 120lbs overweight, I walked 4 miles a day 7 days a week and actually managed to herniate several discs in my back in the first six months. Granted, I had previously injured them in the past, but was carrying a ton of weight and not taking breaks. I learned, after healing, that I needed to take rest days, listen to my back and slow down or take breaks when it hurt. Look into some good shoes, they will probably cost you between $60-$100. Sometimes you can find decent walking shoes (trainers) for less on sale. Just don't go with the cheapo's at Wal-Mart/etc. and you should be fine.

I have spinal stenosis, a previous lamenectomy surgery under my belt, degenerative disc disease, several previous herniated discs and bad knees (one which has had repair surgery as well). I wake up in pain most days, but do some stretches for my back before I do anything in the mornings. Then I work out, stretch again mid-way through, and after. I can now run a 5k, walk up to 10k and sometimes combinations of both. But I still wake up in pain most days, not from the exercise, but from the ongoing problems with my back. The latest thing is to tell people not to stretch before exercising, but honestly for me, it's a must. Otherwise I will injure myself.

When you walk, if you have a weak core you are putting impact and strain on your lower back. In order to compensate I've spent three years working on core strength just as much as I walk/run/lift weights. My workouts are actually broken down into three parts. Lifting, running/walking, and then core strength. Keep your core tight when walking and it will transfer that stress to your core not your back.

Try also taking a break from the walking longer distances. Go slower, walk less, and use diet for weight loss if you need to lose weight. Look up some stretches for your back on the internet, specifically yoga stretches for lower back pain. Do those daily even if your back feels fine. Ease into it. Just my .02.
  • Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love wearing those stick-on pain patches when I'm having bad back days. You just slap it on and go about your business feeling all tingly and good!
  • fickleee
    fickleee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it hurts right when you’re beginning to walk I’d suggest walking at a slower pace and keeping it shorter than two miles. Start with about a mile or even half a mile before you go for that long, and make sure to do stretches before!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started with 10 minutes, maybe 5, and worked up from there to 10 mile hikes. Just add 5 minutes every week. Add in strength training too.