Has anyone experienced health/body issues as a result of losing a significant amount of weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @sophia162 I was losing hair too! It really bothered me. But since, my naturopath has upped my B12 and I take Biotin and everything is back to normal.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I feel cold ALL THE TIME and my hair is thinner. I'm not sure whether to attribute the hair thing to the weight loss or some other random issue. I'm ramping up my biotin consumption, focusing on lots of protein, and exploring a new BC method. So fingers are crossed!
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've had trouble with lower back pain -- have an old injury that hasn't given me any trouble in many, many years and suddenly since losing weight has started acting up, which seems "wrong." But I suspect the culprit is altered body mechanics: walking, standing, sitting, etc., differently than I've been used to so even though there should be less stress on my back, what stresses there are are impacting it differently than they used to when I was heavier.

Also having a good bit of discomfort in my butt when I sit for a long period of time on just about any seat or cushion. Less padding, I guess.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    all my shoes got too big when I lost weight
    also, fairly sure my diet made my hair thinning issues worse at one point (I already had issues due to PCOS)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's related to weight loss, but over the past few years I've always gotten blisters on the edge of my heels when I walk a bit more. It's as if there's too much skin. But surely, the padding of ones feet should not get smaller.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Raynaud's, although for most of the year it is really not too bothersome...never had any symptoms until I was down by 100 lb or so. Mostly it's just embarrassing for me in the winter when random strangers say "A couple of your fingers are white WTF" in a panic.

But...BEFORE losing weight, I had debilitating migraines with vision blurring and days of residual pain. Now I've had 1 MILD migraine in 5 years.
    Pain in my shins and ankles is gone.
    Borderline high blood pressure is now normal.
    Lower back pain issues are very rare now, like once every 2 years for a couple of days - versus previously several weeks of every year.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My foot issue with losing weight occurred when I had to get rid of most of my shoes as my feet got smaller.

I was wondering (since OP didn't hear the whole conversation) if that might be it. It's a little known side effect of losing large amounts of weight that you can drop half a shoe size or more. Very strange. Happened to me.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Decades ago I lost a lot of weight on a diet and excercise regimen, and I ended up having to get my gallbladder removed. Still, a small price to pay for better health and fitness.
  • SLOgal
    SLOgal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've known people who have felt more pain in the bones in their feet when the fat pads on their feet got smaller.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 100 pounds and have never looked or felt better or been healthier.

losing weight SOLVED the health issues i had (sore joints, muscle pain, back pain, etc)
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your responses! For those asking about the conversation I overheard, she was definitely talking about pain in her feet, so much so she couldn't walk. Like I said, I don't have the details but I didn't get the impression that it was because of her feet shrinking due to the weight loss.

I'm sorry to everyone who has experienced difficulties due to their weight loss, but it seems like more often than not, the side effects don't even come close to overshadowing the health benefits!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes, sleep apnea, and gangrenous gall bladder after starting to lose weight. But I don’t for a minute think that weight loss caused any of these problems. It was all a coincidence of timing.
    The diabetes and OSA were specifically cured by weight loss and the gall bladder was removed.
    Life always brings twists and turns.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure and blood sugar numbers got within normal ranges allowing me to go off all meds. I got active and I started having trouble with my knees. The short of it my tendons were too sloppy for my new body and I had to exercise to support my knees better.
  • felixg1109
    felixg1109 Posts: 172 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lost a bit more than 320lbs within 2 years and had some problems concerning the musles of my back, which was pretty painful. Starting with muscle-gaining "cured" it within a month.

Concerning your friends foot-pain i had some kind of "pressure fractures" when i was very heavy, but that resolved after loosing the weight
  • shedsports10
    shedsports10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know with loosing 86 lbs I feel a lot better and my feet feel a thousand times better. My side effects are I do feel cold all the time and my tailbone hurts when i sit for to long.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I feel cold ALL THE TIME ] and my hair is thinner. I'm not sure whether to attribute the hair thing to the weight loss or some other random issue. I'm ramping up my biotin consumption, focusing on lots of protein, and exploring a new BC method. So fingers are crossed!

I’m also cold all the time.... and I developed plantar fasciitis- although this was not from losing weight, but rather from all the walking I started doing to help with the weight loss!

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    All of my symptoms went away once I hit maintenance and upped my calories back from my weight loss amount. I was freezing, had cold hands and thinning hair.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    I had some postural adjustment aches and pains as my body shape changed with weight loss, but that was temporary.

Very soon after weight loss, I developed (basically simultaneously) chronic paronychia (a fingernail quality issue usually believed to be related to too much water/detergent immersion) and periorificial dermatitis (rash/mild swelling next to my eye). Neither of the latter are weight loss related directly, but timing-wise my dermatologist seemed to thing that the mild extra stress of weight loss might have been enough to push me into conditions I had some predisposition toward. Who knows?

Chronic knee and other joint pain dramatically reduced, blood pressure normalized (formerly high), cholesterol/triglycerides normalized (formerly bad), so if the paronychia (which I'm still treating) and dermatitis (not currently a problem) were consequences, it was a good tradeoff.