When should I have protein powder?

I've been way under my protein targets every day, so I think I need to start taking protein powder. Is it best to take it after a workout, especially if I've been doing weights, or does the timing not really matter?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Have it when suits - I like using it in things rather than drinking it as a shake. In yoghurt, or smoothies with other ingredients. Used in protein pancakes or waffles is good too...
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    I’d love to incorporate protein powder into my diet but I’m having a hard time finding any I can tolerate.

If you find one that’s passable in taste- share the news! I eat plenty of high protein stuff but not even chicken gives as much as a scoop of powder
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    cnave99 wrote: »
    I’d love to incorporate protein powder into my diet but I’m having a hard time finding any I can tolerate.

If you find one that’s passable in taste- share the news! I eat plenty of high protein stuff but not even chicken gives as much as a scoop of powder

What do you mean by tolerate... What have you tried, and why does it give you issues?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I have mine for breakfast. I don’t think it matters when you drink it
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    I usually have mine as a meal replacement.. so I have it for breakfast .. and then I drink BCAAs whilst training.. but you can have them whenever you like really! Maybe have one throughout the day as a snack?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited June 2018
    I mix mine into plain greek yogurt and add frozen berries. That's my breakfast most mornings. Usually 40-50 grams of protein.

Trutein and Quest are my favorite brands.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    I love Optimum Nutrition Platinum Turbo Chocolate...I use it for breakfast in oatmeal, yogurt, coconut almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and a dash of salt. It's like chocolate cream pie for breakfast and keeps me satisfied til snack in three hours.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    I mix mine into plain greek yogurt and add frozen berries. That's my breakfast most mornings. Usually 40-50 grams of protein.

I got the Quest based on your recommendation in the other thread. I didn't pay attention though and it has stevia which tastes bad to me. I am working around this by mixing it with the Click powder I had been using. I still taste it a little but the coffee flavor does wonders to help mask it.

The Trutein samples won't be in for another week I think.

ETA: The Quest mixes smooth in a shaker cup though which is a huge plus for any protein drink. It is also not gritty at all.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    The best time for your protein powder would be peri workout - right around or just after your weight training - if you don't have it then just make sure you get enough

Look at Metabolic Drive by Biotest - excellent protein - google it - you can get it on line - Eastcoast Jim
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    cnave99 wrote: »

I have this every morning for breakfast. Blend with frozen banana, coconut milk and a little peanut butter.

apveiczxrhyf.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I got the Quest based on your recommendation in the other thread. I didn't pay attention though and it has stevia which tastes bad to me. I am working around this by mixing it with the Click powder I had been using. I still taste it a little but the coffee flavor does wonders to help mask it.

The Trutein samples won't be in for another week I think.

ETA: The Quest mixes smooth in a shaker cup though which is a huge plus for any protein drink. It is also not gritty at all.

Bummer. Hope you like the Trutein!

I learned I cannot stand Xylitol as a sweetener. Everyone is different.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Every alternative sweetener I have ever tried has left a bad taste in my mouth. I think I can tolerate the Click + Quest simple because I guzzle it down pretty fast and it sure is an easy 41 grams of protein. There are days when that protein macro can be a PITA especially if you are like me and eat 80ish percent of your calories in one meal.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Every alternative sweetener I have ever tried has left a bad taste in my mouth. I think I can tolerate the Click + Quest simple because I guzzle it down pretty fast and it sure is an easy 41 grams of protein. There are days when that protein macro can be a PITA especially if you are like me and eat 80ish percent of your calories in one meal.

Try unflavoured whey. I can't handle any sweeteners either... some give me headaches, others put a bad taste in my mouth.