Here I Go

Options
Here I am. I'm alive and kicking. I've been lucky, so far. But I cannot keep up this unhealthy weight and lifestyle without eventually suffering consequences. For all I know, I may already be suffering them (I just had a physical exam for the first time in years and I am currently awaiting my test results).

After my physical exam, I logged into my patient portal and saw two words that floored me: "severely obese." What?! Talk about a wake-up call.

I had never been overweight in my life until I hit my late 20s/early 30s. Now in my 40s, I I realize that I keep thinking my extra weight is "new" and "temporary" even though it's been packed on for over 15 years. I also tend to avoid scales and tell myself that I'm just a little overweight. So, I stared at the words "severely obese" and I felt everything crashing down around me. Time to get up and rebuild.

So, here I am. Day #1. Years ago, I did an online food/exercise diary (MFD) and it was working for me for awhile until I basically gave up and totally let myself go. Now I am much heavier than I was on my first day of MFD all those years ago. I was shocked when I found out my current weight at the doc's office (like I said, I avoid scales). But, I'm not going to focus too much on the disappointment. Instead, I am thinking of today as day #1 and I am trying to keep my head up.

I made a pact with my new doctor. We agreed that I would come back for a follow up exam in 6 months and, at that time, I'd check in with my weight loss, diet, and exercise progress. I committed to doing MFP and exercising at least 3 days a week starting now.

So...

HERE I GO.

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Welcome - don't fret, the journey can be very enjoyable. I enjoy my food a lot more now that I am eating well and mindfully rather than just stuffing in anything and everything that took my fancy. Trust mfp - input your data and weigh and log accurately and it will work. Don't ban whole food groups unless you can do so long term - this isn't a diet that has an end date - it has to be your way of living from here on in - or it won't work. Best addvice I received was to read the pinned posts at the top of each group board. Good Luck X
  • BetterMoon
    BetterMoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You're right - my changes need to be habits I can continue long term. Thanks for your support!!
  • jmaly78
    jmaly78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Starting over myself. Add me if you'd like. More support equals better results I hear!
  • BetterMoon
    Options
    Thanks!
  • BetterMoon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Well, I got the results of my aforementioned physical exam blood work and it's not great. As it turns out, I have very high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and I have been labeled pre-diabetic. Not good. I go back to the doc on Friday to come up with a plan. I really don't want to go on meds if I can treat these conditions with weight loss, dietary changes, and exercise. Ugh. I know some ppl find fear to be a great motivator but I sometimes get paralyzed by fear (and sometimes that makes me want to sit in front of the TV with high calorie snacks). So, I need to be extra vigilant about making healthy changes now.