I WANT TO LOVE RUNNING

Options
Hey I’m Katie! Lately I’ve been struggling a lot with anxiety. I’m being medicated for it but I want to find an outlet when I’m angry/stressed. I really want it to be running! Unfortunately, I always hated running. I want to learn to love it but I don’t know how! I need friends on here to motivate me to run as much as I can! Maybe then I’ll learn to love it! I also use the run tracking app to keep me accountable. Anything helps y’all! Thanks❤️

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I never liked running. Weights? No problem. Exercise bike? No problem. Hated running. Now, to be fair, I am focusing on treadmill running, so running outside might have been different.

With that being, I started to transition to the treadmill in January. At the time, I was close to 230 and a type session was a 20 minute walk at 4.5 mph. From there I just kept going. At first, I increased duration. Then I would alternate improvements to duration and speed. And at the end of each week, I wanted an improvement.

Today I just set a personal best, still on the treadmill, 3.2 miles in 24:52. Top speed was about 5 minutes at 9 mph. Not bad for a now 46 year old who hated running.

By September, I want to approach 20 minutes in a timed 5km race. :-)
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you feel like running is the thing you want to try, I would suggest an app that slowly coaches you up to longer distances and starts you out slow. I did this and it was great. It was challenging but still attainable and within 6 months or so I was running a 5K!

A free one is “running for weight loss”. Don’t judge by its name ;) it’s actually a great platform!
    Another paid one I have used is the runkeeper plans.

It’s nice to have a coach in your ear telling you when to jog and walk! Give it a try! And if you still hate it, it’s okay to not like running. Just keep trying new things until you find one you love.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I’ll be honest the more I do it the more I love it, feel free to add me if you want.

Once you start being able to run more than a few seconds without walking it starts to feel amazing.

If you never end up loving running that’s okay, but the fact that you are so certain you want that to be your thing makes me feel like you would definitely love it if you practiced and gave it a try!

I also suffer from anxiety, and running absolutely helps me in that area of my life.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    angela4332 wrote: »
    Hi Katie:
    I used to hate even the idea of running. But one day I set a goal and told myself okay, you are going to run 500 feet and I did that for a week. Seemed like a small feat,and it was, but I increased the distance each week. Then before I knew it I was running a mile, then 2 and now I run at least 4 miles a day. I am 45 years old and it took me 3 years to get to where I am today. I push myself to do more, I guess I feel like I have a lot to prove. It's not easy some days, but it's easy to look back and see where I was so I keep going. I dont know what to say to get you to love it, that's got to come from within. Most of the time the best motivator is yourself. But try it, little at a time, maybe you will love it, maybe you wont. But you will not know until to try. Good luck!

This sounds a lot like when I started running. I started with 100 steps. Over three years, I slowly graduated to doing 7/8 mile trail races. I loved trails more than anything. I think being out in nature, sometimes running in areas that I'd never seen before in trail races was more fun than anything.

Just wanted to add that running will suck for a while. It took me around 3/4 months before I started enjoying the runs. While you're slowly building distance, you'll be sore. You will ache and your legs will throb at times. Eventually, your body adjusts and one day, you'll feel great while doing it.

Likewise, I've seen people run in pain until they really injure themselves. You do have to gradually build up and listen to your body. Also, try lots of things once you get in cardio shape. I found I loved Spinning. I also love rowing now more. Once you get in good aerobic shape, you have a lot more choices. Try different things!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am myself a serial beginner, but I did give it a lot of thoughts and listened to some of the smarter people, so here are few thoughts that could be helpful.

First, identify what is what you hate about it - Is it the physical effort? Is it the preparation work? Time of day when you'd rather do something else? Environment? Etc.
    Once when you know what you hate about it, you'll be closer to the answer how to fix it.

Few general tips:

- install some of the apps for beginners (like C25 app) that slowly guide your from walking to running

- after every run do something you really enjoy doing as a reward (it helps link running with joy in your brain)

- do your prep work in advance (an evening before)

- listen to your favourite music while you run

- find some cute sport's outfit that you enjoy to wear and feel good in

- connect with other people that run

- pick time of the day when you have the most energy (if you are morning person-morning, if you are evening person - evening)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m Katie! Lately I’ve been struggling a lot with anxiety. I’m being medicated for it but I want to find an outlet when I’m angry/stressed. I really want it to be running! Unfortunately, I always hated running. I want to learn to love it but I don’t know how! I need friends on here to motivate me to run as much as I can! Maybe then I’ll learn to love it! I also use the run tracking app to keep me accountable. Anything helps y’all! Thanks❤️

what do you hate about it?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You and me both
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If you don't love it, don't do it. There are more than enough other options that you can find something you legitimately enjoy, and do that. Swim, barre, crossfit, spin, lifting, hiking, etc. Running is not the only way to be active.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    i hated it. now i love it. i think most runners have a love hate relationship with running
    i started with couch to 5k
    if you are able, try to join a local group. it will help keep you accountable
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why not take up something you do like? Cycling, yoga, pilates, a sport of some kind.

Yup. This. Running isn't the only option. Just walking can be great for you too.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

When I first took up running I ran and walked at the same time so I suppose I wasn't really running back then but it was what I could do, you start at your own pace and work yourself up to running. I loved it and kept doing it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Good morning, Katie! I can speak to you about this.

Way back when, I was 45yo and newly divorced and 251lbs I decided that I wanted to get back into shape (I was always in amazing shape....just 'settled' and ate three burritos from Taco Bell everyday!). I was living in Salem, VA at the time and knew that there was a Greenway in Roanoke, VA. I started walking there. Either early in the morning or later in the evening. Man, I loved it. So peaceful.

So, jump forward one year....what started as walking the enitre Greenway to walking 1/10 mile and then jogging 1/10 mile ended up being running 13 miles (in 75 minutes). There was nothing better....you get that great cadence, that awesome gate, you get the breathing in check, you have all the sounds of the running water (the River) and all of the creatures in and around the water (the fish jumping, the frogs, the cricketts, the birds...OMG the birds...)...never felt better in my life. That is "peace" for me.

I have not been running in some five years (twisted my left knee three times while running...long stories....all involved kids on bikes and me NOT running over them.....). But, honestly, I have been thinking about it again. I am down in Winston-Salem, NC now so I will have to find that place here (or, drive the two hours to Roanoke...for that, I totally would).

So, find your "peace". Maybe it is running? Maybe it is yoga? Maybe it is Power Lifting? Who knows....

I truly hope that you are fortunate enough to oneday find the peace that I have found!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    One other thing--don't decide that you must/must not be training for a race. I have been running for 40+ years and have never once been tempted to race. I love trail running and my goal has always been to enjoy the run and to run at a pace I felt I could keep up forever (you know, in case the Zombie Apocalypse happens). Maybe you will enjoy the challenge of improving your speed, or entering races, and that is fine--but the point is, figure out what motivates you.

Running is the best way I know to learn about a new city, too. I'm always well-oriented before anyone else in my travel party b/c I take a long, slow run in a new park/town/city, first thing. I'm also seem to be "geographically gifted," (I don't get lost), so I know that may not work for everyone. But it makes getting around a new place so much easier.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever loved running was when I was in shape and my body craaaaaved it! I look forward to be that way again eventually
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hell...me too!

I'm 47 and a life long runner. I hate running, but it's a necessary evil I need to get through to get to the good.
  • littlegreenparrot
    littlegreenparrot Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A few things that have helped me,
    find a club with a beginner's night, and/ or a pal to go out with. It helps keep the commitment.
    Find somewhere nice to go if you can, I will do miles on a Trail, get bored on the road. Cool music, or very good audio books/ podcasts. Gotta keep going to find out what happens!
    I have no expectations of myself, apart from go. Then I may try to reach a further tree before I stop, or not, doesn't matter. If I try to take it to seriously it puts me right off.
    Go slow, and walk when you need to. You'll get stronger and quicker eventually if you keep going.

This is more difficult to explain, try and think about it positively. I go because I like being in the park, the accomplishment, the fresh air, the chat with my friend. It is not punishment because of the size of my **se! Makes a difference to my motivation.