June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I've been vegetarian for 5ish years, vegan for the last ~1.5 years of it. I can't speak to hunger levels before/after cutting out meat because I made the switch back before I started running much. I haven't noticed major differences in my hunger levels before/after cutting out dairy/eggs though. I do make sure to eat a lot of beans/soy products and fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc) which I've found helps keep my fuller longer. Definitely am having trouble at the moment managing the runger, but I suspect it would be a problem for me regardless of animal protein intake! I think as long as you are getting sufficient protein and fat, the hunger levels will be as manageable as they can be with that mileage! I'm very happy to talk more about fueling on a vegetarian/vegan diet so please please let me know if you (or anyone else) have any questions! :smiley:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    @amymoreorless I've been vegetarian for 5ish years, vegan for the last ~1.5 years of it. I can't speak to hunger levels before/after cutting out meat because I made the switch back before I started running much. I haven't noticed major differences in my hunger levels before/after cutting out dairy/eggs though. I do make sure to eat a lot of beans/soy products and fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc) which I've found helps keep my fuller longer. Definitely am having trouble at the moment managing the runger, but I suspect it would be a problem for me regardless of animal protein intake! I think as long as you are getting sufficient protein and fat, the hunger levels will be as manageable as they can be with that mileage! I'm very happy to talk more about fueling on a vegetarian/vegan diet so please please let me know if you (or anyone else) have any questions! :smiley:

@ariceroni Thanks! I think I will give it a try again in July. I can't tolerate dairy due to stomach issues so my diet ends up being mostly vegan-like when I am eating plant based. My poor carnivore husband. I cooked with tofu the other day and he was like, "Wait... Nooooooo! I thought were past all that. Where is the "real" food?". LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @ladysnickerdoo I figured out percentages based on the graph the garmin gives me.

@sarahthes I think it goes by how long I'm in bed for. I know I am not asleep the whole time LOL

@Elise4270 Even on melatonin my sleep levels are about the same. I know I have slept 8 hours and wake up not feeling rested, which is why I decided to see what the garmin says. If I'm not getting enough deep sleep or sleep cycles it makes total sense why I don't feel rested.

I have a sleep consult in July for a sleep study but I am impatient because I feel like I am getting no sleep.
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A little late on this question as the picture was about 3 pages back, but what kind of snake is that @garygse?
    We only have garter snakes here so there is no scare factor.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mcw2018mfp wrote: »
    A little late on this question as the picture was about 3 pages back, but what kind of snake is that @garygse?
    We only have garter snakes here so there is no scare factor.

I'm not an authority, and google wont find the right snake but it does look like a plains garter. Anyone?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @girlinahat that was exhausting and painful to read. Super job getting it done. I'm still snickering at the medal like a 12 year old boy.
    @ariceroni sorry the 10K didn't go as planned.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hurt my ankle 5 days ago, and have been focusing on handstands and starting up my blog since then, so sorry if I don't comment on your activities here. I just speed-read 229 posts!

@runningSalmon Don't forget to come back and update us on June, and set your July goal!
    @Teerai Well done for having to increase your goal.

I've posted about motivation and slow running (and lots else) on my blog, but you'll have to go to my profile/feed to see it as MFP don't like links.

• Elise4270
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Have you tried magnesium before bed to see if it helps? I've been taking it a week or so now and I do feek like I sleep better. But I've also ramped my training, so it could be that I'm just more tired.

I had planned on a run today. But.... I got to the park and forgot my shoes. I have 2 pr running shorts, 3 bike shorts, a bra, 3 shirts, flip flops, bike shoes (cleats), 2 hats, 2 pr sunglasses (1rx for bike), a case of water, ice water, my sweat towel, GU, road ID, HRM, sunblock, DEET *sigh* but NO RUNNIN' SHOES. So I'll flip Friday and today and not lose training. Its 99 anyway.

Then i come home and step in a turd on the front porch. I'm hoping my dumb cat pooped there, or kids are finding summer entertainment and i haven't pooed-off a neighbor. Least i steped in it going out and not in.

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    3.5km tonight, warm but not too bad, slower than I thought I was going but oh well.
    MTD : 44.5km/60km
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop my lazy streak and actually do my scheduled run!

Ain't dat da effin' truth....

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    WTF is "vertical oscillation"? Is that nerdlet for "put on your shoes and run"? :p
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2018
    Options
    WTF is "vertical oscillation"? Is that nerdlet for "put on your shoes and run"? :p

Keepin' it real. :wink:

I should add "in true @LoneWolfRunner form" in case others haven't recognized that its you again.