Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

June 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018
    @PastorVincent : My right foot definitely lands differently - I wear through the middle of my right shoes fairly quickly, whether I’m running in them or not. I did get my gait evaluated both times I bought running shoes. The first time they recommended the Brooks Ghosts, which I loved. The second time I had an extremely hard time finding shoes that weren’t either tight on the right or loose on the left and ended up with the updated Ghosts.

@Elise4270 : I run on the sidewalk or paved paths, so although it’s hardly a perfectly even surface, I’m pretty sure that’s not the issue. I haven’t been to a PT, but the chiropractor I’ve seen a few times works with runners and lifters and recommended a series of exercises to focus on the posterior chain after I started having the same right knee twinges when I started lifting heavy in March. It actually worked, but I’m embarrassed to say I got out of the habit when I started running and doing a lot of yard work in the beginning of May. I think I should give those a couple of weeks and see how that goes. I had scheduled a down week next week anyhow.

@midwesterner85 : I’m with you on running not being especially helpful with dieting. I lost a little over 50 lbs between May 2017 and May 2018, then plateaued for a month right around when I was starting to run again and doing a lot of yard work. Running doesn’t make me ravenous the way it seems to hit some people, but it definitely correlated with my calories drifting up. I decided to take a logging break and am up a couple of pounds, but I’m trying to make myself be cool about that. If I don't focus on losing that last twenty until the winter then so be it. It seems counterproductive to go into a deficit while focusing on lifting, and totally backwards to consider winter an easier time to lose weight than summer, but so it goes. And of course all of this assumes I don't contract a parasite, in which case I suppose I'll just resign myself to gaining a few pounds for a few months.

Re running without a shirt: I don’t really mind the idea of doing it in a group, except that my running shorts are all high-waisted and I’m short, so I’d look pretty silly with only a couple of inches showing between the top of my pants and the bottom of the bra!

No run this morning, but I did get a really good lifting workout in. I’m going to try for an easy two miles tomorrow if the weather and my knee cooperate. Fingers crossed for a good night's sleep.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL[/b]

This Weekend:
    Sat - 1/2 Marathon in Toledo OH
    Sun - Olympic Triathlon near Maumee OH

Good luck this weekend!!!

BTW, whats TSS and CTL?

ETA LOVE THE TAT!

Ha! I was noticing that tat too! Not sure why I hadn't before! I was actually thinking today that I should get one but I don't know what I would get. Something to commemorate my 25th HM when that happens maybe. My daughter and I have talked about getting ones that honor our pups too but I really want a running one.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »

What do you guys do to help bounce back from a bad workout/run?

Sad to say, but usually time off, physical therapy, and try to take it easy and gradual when coming back.

If I don't get injured, it isn't a bad run.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited June 2018
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Soooo totally not running related... well maybe it is, because if I don’t come up with an alternate plan, my father has suggested trying to kill me by running a 5k in New Orleans in mid August (red dress race)

but I have a forced 10 day vacation coming in August due to current travel for work location + sturgis = no hotel.... and I actually have finally gotten to a point where I can afford an adventure.

The problem is, it has been too long since I have had an adventure, I have too many ideas, and too many options with any one location. And being overwhelmed has me thinking “fine I will just stay home and do nothing!”

So, since many of you 1. Live in what this Wyoming girl considers an exotic location, and 2. Many of you seem to go on running and non running related adventures

What is an adventure you have been on lately? did you love it? Would you do it again/recommend it? What did it cost?

My husband wants to do the red dress race!

Adventures don't have to be that far away. My grandmother used to say, "Let's go on an adventure!" all the time. Sometimes we would just visit a part of town we had never explored, and sometimes we would just hop in the car and start driving and get a hotel when the sun went down. To this day, heading across the bridge out of Memphis feels like the beginning of an adventure to me because of her.

Funny coincidence but Wyoming was one of my favorite adventures. We went to Jackson hole.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    @shanaber great question. I don’t have a premium account with Strava so my garmin captures the basic info of HR, cadence, pace, etc and uploads to Strava into each run. If HR is not linked to the run I am not quite sure how or if the extension would work. Perhaps others know.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2018
    4.5km today. Much better run. @ariceroni last run was terrible and today's was good. What did I do to bounce back?... I decided not to eat before I went, which helped(I knew that was a factor). I also physically felt better- my ankle/heel has been bugging me for a while now but not today! I also tried to breathe through my nose the whole run so I guess you could say I focused more on my breathing. I find just getting back out there helps. And remembering there will be bad runs but there will be more good ones.
    ETA : Guess I should add I'm at 30.3km/60km. Half way there at the half way mark!
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Yesterday, we dropped our daughter off at swim camp and headed to our camper. We though about going for an evening run, but decided to catch dinner instead. It was a beautiful evening and they had outdoor seating so after we got back to the camper we walked around with the dog. This morning it was pouring when we woke up. Around 11am the storm had stopped and after a bit of nudging by my husband we were off. The original plan was to go by the lake, but since it was cooler (60’s F) we decided to do this giant hill that heads in the opposite direction. It’s one of those rolling hills that is uphill both ways with a long slow climb. Prior I had only been up the hill, so when we got to the top I motioned to my husband to keep going as I wanted to see where the road headed. It was more hills like that one! There was a breeze and it was cool, so it made it fun. By the end though I was happy to be done. It’s really flat at home so this area is a great place for hill workouts as not sure there’s really a flat area here. Small hills vs. big hills makes for a nice change.

6/6 - 3 miles
    6/7 - 1 mile walk
    6/9 - 6.2 miles - 10k Race
    6/11- 4 mile walk
    6/13 - 2.5 miles/ 1 mile walk
    6/14 - rest/walk
    6/15 - 4.3 miles

Total: 16/55 miles
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    @MegaMooseEsq I disagree. Lifting when in a deficit, assuming proper macronutrient breakout, is a great way to prevent loss of lean tissue and lose fat instead. Lifting is a good thing while in a calorie deficit.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited June 2018
    @MegaMooseEsq I disagree. Lifting when in a deficit, assuming proper macronutrient breakout, is a great way to prevent loss of lean tissue and lose fat instead. Lifting is a good thing while in a calorie deficit.

I agree. I also find my diet vs weight to be MUCH more forgiving when lifting. Like calorie levels that would lead to a gain if running only, dont while lifting. And, even if I eat enough for a gain while lifting, the muscle looks better, and everyone thinks I lost weight anyways. These are among thE MANY reasons I am sad I’m not currently in a town with a gym so I can lift :(

Although, I get ravenous from lifting much more so than rungries, so it’s probably a good thing lifting makes my diet much more forgiving. A good long run (8+ miles) and the boyfriend or running buddy have to force me to eat afterwards... hour of good lifting and I want ALL THE FOODS

I also find that I have to be prepared for slower strength gains when lifting in a deficit, or even when trying to pair significant running with significant lifting.

ETA -if lifting on a deficit, especially if one is prone to low blood pressure, please make sure you are fueled sufficiently prior to lifting - like even a hand full of jelly beans (I’ve even been known to grab some runner gummies if it has been too long since I ate) woozy/passing out while squatting or deadlifting is a bad day...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @kevaasen - I use the Strava app directly to record my runs and have an Apple Watch that pairs with my HRM. The Strava information on my run is also picked up by my watch/iPhone so I just have to see if the HR info can't go the other direction into Strava - seems like there should be a way to do that but I am pretty much a Strava newbie. I will see about researching it this weekend though.

@hanlonsk - I never really thought about it but I always eat before or on the way to the gym (carrots and hummus or tangerines when I have them are my favorites) and have to have a snack afterwards. I started lifting before I had ever run and did have a big drop in weight and building muscle and yes I was eating in a deficit too. I have done both now for a while and now that I want to lose again I have not seen any drop in weight but my muscle definition is great. I wish I could see that 15-20 lbs that I gained when I couldn't run get 'lifted' away!
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    RUhgm8.png

1HK2m8.png

First day this year where my miles caught up to the same days on my long-term goal.
    To do this in one year it would take 8.644 miles per day, every day.
    So yeh, this is on track to be an 8 year project but hoping to shorten that as fitness improves :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Probably no run today as we have about 8 or so houses to see. Really hoping to be able to move before getting locked into another year-long lease in this trailer.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Training

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL

Goals 6/11/18 - 6/17/18:
    Run: 45 miles + Swim and Bike
    TSS > 650

Base 1 : Week 2 of 4
    06.11.18 - 3 m. (Swim 900 yrds).
    06.12.18 - 8.9 m.
    06.13.18 - 7.2 m. (swim 1000 yrds)
    06.14.18 - 8.6 m.
    06.15.18 - 2 m. (swim 1000 yrds)
    06.16.18 - 13.1 m.

This Weekend:
    Sat - 1/2 Marathon in Toledo OH
    Sun - Olympic Triathlon near Maumee OH

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2018

I didn't mean to imply at all that it's a bad thing to lift in a calorie deficit! Just that the emphasis struck me as a little backwards - eating more when I'm lifting less, then eating less when I'm lifting more. And like @hanlonsk mentioned, my lifting doesn't progress quite as well in a deficit. It's still awesome, just not ideal.

I tried keeping my lifting at the same level when I started running again this year but found that I just wasn't recovering well enough and that trying to schedule recovery time for three full body workouts with weather-dependent running was too much of a headache. I've switched to twice a week lifting and that's been a lot easier to manage. When the weather changes again I'm planning to start a barbell program, either upgrading my home setup or at a gym or both. I'd originally planned to go on a diet break at that point to help build some muscle, but I didn't count on running impacting my calorie intake quite as much as it did.