June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk – I love to travel! My husband does not. So, that means a lot of girl trips most of which are runcations. There are so many places to go! A simple trip that requires minimal planning is a cruise. You just get to the port and let the Captain take over. If you want to get off the ship at the ports you can, but you can also stay onboard and enjoy some quiet pool time. I live on the East coast though and can get to ports in SC and FL relatively easy. I’m not sure about where you live.

One of my favorite places abroad has been my visit to Ireland. I’m not much of a city girl and I think that is why I liked it so much. We only spent one day in Dublin and the rest traveling through the countryside staying at a different B&B each night.

I’m hoping to get out west next year. I’ve been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times but none of the other national parks. @BruinsGal_91 your trip to Utah sounds wonderful!

Hope you find something that peaks your interest and go for it. Life is way too short to stay home and do nothing!

@katharmonic – I want to go to the lake with you! Strawberry vodka slushies – my, my, my!

@skippysgirlmom – Good luck with that trail 5K. I’ve also got a 5K tomorrow but mine is in the streets of a nearby town. It’s to raise money to restore the theatre there. I don't do a lot of 5Ks because I have to push too hard!

@RunsOnEspresso – Thanks for that link. I’m going to try to get a group together and do it! Way outside my comfort zone but I get more brave in numbers!

@KeepRunningFatboy – Good luck with your half marathon tomorrow and your TRI on Sunday!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty i believe that is the point. men go shirtless all the time.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty i believe that is the point. men go shirtless all the time.

I'll admit it, I started running shirtless since mid May, and it is GLORIOUS, compared to running in a shirt soaked in 5lbs. of sweat!

Very nice run @zdyb23456! Sounds like you were in the zone! Wish I could find that place.
    Good luck @skippysmom and @teresa502 and anyone else racing this weekend.
    I'm seriously thinking of taking this weekend off to let my calf/Achilles (and now knee) rest. All have been starting to make some noise this past week of running. And besides, it's Father's Day weekend, so I'm sure the family has plans to spoil me the entire weekend ;)
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Re pace discussion, IMO, would look to focus more on overall fitness vs pace in making comparisons. If I can run longer (or shorter easier) perhaps at the same or even slower speeds, I actually might be more fit (if that makes sense). If you are not recording your runs and/or just looking at your pace as an indication of your ability, you might be limiting your overall perspective of progress.

I am a big Strava fan for the overall tracking of my runs along with the social support and motivation it provides as well getting ideas on types of workouts, etc- but a while back, I believe it was @7lenny7 who shared an extension for Chrome called "StravistiX for Strava". IT IS SOOOO COOL and FREE. You can review lots of data and provided your are capturing HR what I look at the most is a graph called "My Fitness Trend". Now, I may not have my stats such as my HR zones or HR max exactly perfect...but in my view, that is OK, as I am using the fitness graph as visual data point to gauge my fitness on a relative basis i.e. "my current state" vs "my past state" based on the same data I have input. It can also help gauge my effective "training zones" so I can be aware if I am "Fresh" (i.e. have been taking it easy or after rest days) to ranging from "Neutral" to "Optimal" (likely making fitness improvements in this zone) to "Overload" (possibly over training)

Example:
    Last year at this same time my fitness level was measured as a "32", vs the initial "1.6" I was given on my first recorded run on Garmin/Strava a little more than a month prior. Note, a 1.6 and 32 mean nothing it was just an assigned my starting point and stats as of that date. It could have easily started with a -32 and -1.6 a month later as this is not simply a scale that charts 1 to 100 as it can below/above. Either way I am only comparing me and what the impact of my runs are over the course of time.

Less than a year later and 3 weeks prior to my 1st marathon I peaked at a "96" on my last 20 mile long run, which was a brutal run in the cold and rain and it was not fun at all. Anyhow, a day prior to marathon, during the 3 week taper, my fitness gradually decreased to a "85", with most of my runs now being recorded in the "freshness to neutral zone" (it is a taper for a reason and a decline was expected) and on the day of the marathon, that run put me back pretty close to my peak at a "93".

Anyhow, 2 weeks of NO running for rest/recovery, my running fitness declined to a "62"!. That said, this both OK and expected as I wanted that rest and other variables changed as we transitioned from Winter/Spring fitness to the heat and humidity of Summer fitness. 3 weeks later in building back my running base for next round of marathon training, my fitness is now ~66 (note- about where I was as of last Oct). So while I went backwards from a 96 to a 66, the better comparison is I am way ahead of last June's 32. (Notice how I am not talking about pace...in fact, many of my runs likely in the last 3 weeks likely slower than runs I made last summer, but I am clearly more fit, which is the primary benefit IMO to focus on)

Here is my current graph: (Purple is fitness line, Orange is training Zone line, Yellow is the inverse of your training zone or "Fatigue") Note - my last run yesterday was TOUGH and I wasn't running fast by any means...my legs were just dead, tired and heavy from track workouts 2 days prior and a run the day before. You can clearly see the yellow line reflects my Fatigue was the highest it has been in 5 weeks which also means I am getting closer to "Optimal" training, which means I should be improving my overall fitness, etc. YES!!! @ariceroni would be curious on what your graph looks like and if your bad workout you noted the other day would reflect some fatigue, etc. After all you did have a killer race a few days prior, etc.

nvzxbirlil3t.jpg
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    to give credit where credit is due, I did some searching and @7lenny7 did a significant summary on StravistiX, it was also mentioned in the past and perhaps first by either @kristinegift, @_nikkiwolf_ and @Orphia Forums like this are great as I would not have found something that is of value to me if someone else wouldn't have taken the time to share...so thanks!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    June goal: 75 miles

6/3: 6.5 miles
    6/5: 4.3 miles
    6/6: 4.5 miles
    6/7: 5 miles
    6/10: 7.2 miles
    6/12: 4.3 miles
    6/13: 4.5 miles
    6/14: 4.5 miles
    6/15: 3.4 miles

44.2/75 miles completed

Friday's are usually rest days for me. But I woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I figured I might as well go for a short run. It is also the 15th which is one of my busy days at work so that usually means being tied to my desk all day and not getting much movement in. Then when I get home I'm tired and cranky so I thought a run would be a good thing.

@RunsOnEspresso That may be a challenge I would have to decline. Not only would I be too self-conscious to run in just a bra, I live in a very small town. The last thing I need is to have the whole town talking about me running in my underwear. When I get too hot I just pour water down the back of my neck. Maybe if there was a large group running in bras I might run shirtless. But for now I'll just have to suck it up. LOL

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did not run at all yesterday as by the time I left work I had a raging sore throat. Thought it might be dehydration but nope, I have a summer head cold.

My throat is better though, so if I'm not too dizzy from the decongestant I will run tonight. Or walk/run. Whatever feels comfortable in the moment. Hopefully if I go to bed early I will be better tomorrow. It doesn't feel like a very severe cold. I only took meds due to sinus pain.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia

Thats just depressing. We're 20% smarter. Right?

40% :smiley:

Women seem to have better resilience (Sisu, perhaps) and are better represented in endurance events.

I don't think it's depressing though. It just explains a lot.

It might be depressing for men to think that they're not actually that fast compared to the general population, they're just born with an advantage over half of them.

Eh, just remember generalizations are worthless when you try to apply them to specific people. My marathon PR is around 3:50... but there are many women that crush that. The only person I compare myself to is the me that ran that distance and/or course previously. Everyone else I will cheer no matter where they are in the pack. :)

The races where I finish ahead of the first woman (other than all-male races) are few and far between. I think the last one, the first woman was just doing it as tempo run. Or maybe an easy run. Normally, she can kick my *kitten*. That day, she ran no harder than she needed to run to be ahead of every other woman in the field.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia

Thats just depressing. We're 20% smarter. Right?

40% :smiley:

Women seem to have better resilience (Sisu, perhaps) and are better represented in endurance events.

I don't think it's depressing though. It just explains a lot.

It might be depressing for men to think that they're not actually that fast compared to the general population, they're just born with an advantage over half of them.

Eh, just remember generalizations are worthless when you try to apply them to specific people. My marathon PR is around 3:50... but there are many women that crush that. The only person I compare myself to is the me that ran that distance and/or course previously. Everyone else I will cheer no matter where they are in the pack. :)

The races where I finish ahead of the first woman (other than all-male races) are few and far between. I think the last one, the first woman was just doing it as tempo run. Or maybe an easy run. Normally, she can kick my *kitten*. That day, she ran no harder than she needed to run to be ahead of every other woman in the field.

Yeah, I was reading about cadence and they looked at the top female runners. They were striding well over 200... talking 3 or 4 strides per second. Might as well be in a car of all the hope I have of catching that! :lol:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – travel day
    6/3 – 14.50 warmup + half marathon
    6/4 – rest day
    6/5 – extra rest day
    6/6 – podiatrist visit
    6/7 – PT visit
    6/8 – no running
    6/9 – no running
    6/10 – no running
    6/11 – PT visit
    6/12 – 2.46 easy
    6/13 – 1.46 easy
    6/14 – rest day
    6/15 – 3.21 easy

June running total to date – 21.63

Nominal June mileage goal: 160 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Survive 4 races scheduled in June, 2 of them outside my comfort zone. Start training toward Wineglass.

Today's notes – You know you're an incorrigible distance runner when you come in from an easy 3 mile run and catch yourself thinking, "I won't be getting any exercise today." Yeah, I know. 3 miles further than 86% of Americans ran today.

Went out for the planned 3 mile run. The weather was great for shorts and a singlet. The ankle had sensations, but they were minor. Got back to my driveway, and ran enough past it to be sure I'd run the equivalent of a 5K with bad tangent running.

Made sure to do good stretches. When the Achilles nonsense started, I could really feel both Achilles tendons as I did my soleus stretch. Today, they felt totally normal. That's encouraging, but the sensations aren't really as neutral as totally healthy. It's still time to take things a bit easy.

The last time I had Achilles tendinitis, there came a time when the podiatrist told me to just go out and run through some discomfort. I tentatively think that what I'm feeling now is a little bit less than what I felt then; but tomorrow and Sunday will tell the story. I expect to feel something tomorrow morning when I jog the hallway for the eggs cooking, and not much Sunday morning. The operative plan is to rest tomorrow, and line up for the 5K race Sunday morning. I may just pace a 7 minute mile for the guy from the running store who's trying to get back into things; for sure I'm not going to race it hard.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 42:21
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY) finished in 20:12
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI) finished in 1:34:42
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Summit Trail Half Marathon (Naples, NY) DNS - injury
    June 17, 2018 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    June 30, 2018 Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run 5 mile (Victor, NY)
    July 28, 2018 Battle at Bristol 10K (Naples, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY)
    November 11, 2018 Syracuse Half Marathon (Syracuse, NY)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options

June Goals:
    200 running miles.
    IM 70.3 Training

June Running:
    05.28.18 - 06.03.18: Running Miles 41.5 / Weekly TSS 497 / Fitness: 71 CTL
    06.04.18 - 06.10.19: Running Miles 46.2 / Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL

Goals 6/11/18 - 6/17/18:
    Run: 45 miles + Swim and Bike
    TSS > 650

Base 1 : Week 2 of 4
    06.11.18 - 3 m. (Swim 900 yrds).
    06.12.18 - 8.9 m.
    06.13.18 - 7.2 m. (swim 1000 yrds)
    06.14.18 - 8.6 m.
    06.15.18 - 2 m. (swim 1000 yrds)

This Weekend:
    Sat - 1/2 Marathon in Toledo OH
    Sun - Olympic Triathlon near Maumee OH

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    6/1 – 0
    6/2 – 2
    6/3 – 2
    6/4 – 2
    6/5 – 2
    6/6 rest day
    6/7 – 3
    6/8 – 2
    6/9 – 2
    6/10 –rest
    6/11 – 3
    6/12 - 3
    6/13 - rest day
    6/14 - 4 long run ☹️
    6/15 - 2 ugh

27 out of 50 miles

Yesterday I felt great today like death ☹️. Oh well it happens. Tomorrow I have a 5K trail race tomorrow. It’s my first trail race. I’m so not trained for it since I’ve only been back 2 weeks but I’ll just do my best.

21 of 50 miles

Good luck! Focus on having fun! Very cool, by the way!
  • ereck44
    Options
    Almost skipped my run this morning. Glad I didn't because it wound up feeling a lot better than previous runs. I started out at a slower pace than usual and just kept it nice and easy, ever so gradually increasing the pace. Managed to crank out 4 miles that way.

I've done yoga twice this week, which is twice more than last week. Maybe I can sneak in a quick session over the weekend.

Edit: I already have 10k steps at 9:00 AM!! Woohoo!!

That's terrific. The first mile is always the worst! Way to tackle the distance!
  • ereck44
    Options
    So this weekend I am working 3-in-a-row after being off x 10 days due to an episode of food poisoning. Last night was a great night, got out on time. Tonight I am thinking that I could stop at the gym on my way home and run a little on the treadmill and crank out a quick leg workout...lunges, leg presses, etc.

@hanlonsk.....Actually my husband and I have planned an adventure in what I think will be your neck of the woods. We have rented a house in Custer, SD and plan to also rent a 3 wheeler and just have fun exploring the "heads", the wilderness trail, and other sites. We have talked about visiting the mammoth dig in southern SD and also Devils Tower. Unfortunately I don't have enough vacation for us to visit Yellowstone. Wyoming is such a beautiful state, and you are so lucky to live there.

My greatest adventure, to date, was a trip to Czech/Poland in 2004. I love that area and felt totally at home there, which was weird (because I normally get homesick). We visited several of the castles, and also Krakow, which is an absolutely gorgeous city on a hill. Unfortunately I had just gotten a digital camera which I wasn't skilled at using and most of my pictures were of people's feet.

@aceroni......can you share your definition of a bad run? My worst runs are when my legs feel like heavy logs. Ugh...the worst! Is that what you have been experiencing?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Weekly TSS 601 / Fitness: 73 CTL[/b]

This Weekend:
    Sat - 1/2 Marathon in Toledo OH
    Sun - Olympic Triathlon near Maumee OH

Good luck this weekend!!!

BTW, whats TSS and CTL?

ETA LOVE THE TAT!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Omg! @ereck44 when is this adventure? They currently have me working in the South Dakota/devils tower area.... if I am still up here when your adventure is we should totally figure out a rendezvous plan!

ETA- I haven’t been up here enough to have much input on the area... other than watch out for deer.