I need support... please.

Options
I haven't been on here in a while, but i kind of got a wake-up call the other day... I kind of feel like i need to explain my whole story.

When i was 12, my dad was 38 and weighed over 300lbs. A doctor told him that unless he lost weight, he would be dead before he was 40. Thank the gods, he lost the weight, and is still alive today. But the incident left me with a lifelong fear of obesity. I was always quite skinny, however that changed when i was severely injured in the army. (Being barely able to walk, yet being forced to continue eating 3000 calories a day will do that to you) After i was medically discharged my mother convinced me to move back home, "until I got back on my feet". She immediately jumped on me about my weight. Stress, chronic pain, depression, suicidal thoughts and an abusive relationship resulted in a struggle with bulimia. I got out of the relationship, moved out of my mother's house, and with help from my now husband, stopped purging. I was holding down food again, but now my body held onto everything and i ballooned. That was four years ago. I still struggle with the emotional toll, but i have not relapsed in three years. I still can't walk without a cane, and with both my husband and i needing to live off of a fixed income (VA disability- he is a disabled veteran too) it's very difficult to a afford fresh foods. My wake-up call came two days ago, when getting out of the shower i found new stretch marks on my belly. The local Y, and any other gym for that matter,
wants an arm and a leg for a membership so pool workouts are out. I am scared to death, and i don't know what to do.

Replies

• trmcleodprime
    trmcleodprime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean about the fresh foods being expensive.
    What I have ended up doing is buying frozen in bulk. They last longer and are still nutritious.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    It's late, so I'm just throwing out some ideas (don't want to wait 'til tomorrow to respond). :)

I thought the "Y" never denied anyone due to inability to pay? I would ask/look into this. Especially with your being a veteran, I would think something could be worked out.

By me, the "Y" has several membership options at various prices. One is a swim membership.

For fresh produce, buying what's in season is usually less expensive. And as the previous poster mentioned, frozen vegetables are a good alternative.

Sometimes community or church gardens are a resource.

You probably already know/looked into this, but are there any Veteran facilities (hospital/rehab) that have a pool where you could swim or that would offer more PT? (Forgive my ignorance.)

Good luck; I wish you well!
  • nana2860
    nana2860 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our YMCA has reduced rates based on income. Check and see what help is available. Our local hospital had income based swim therapy classes. Check collages for water exercise classes. Ask your Dr for resources. If you haven’t checked into food stamps you may be eligible since you have limited income. Most stores have a website that you can check sale prices on. Watch for sales from different stores that make fresh food more affordable. See if you have a neighborhood garden available.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    FatalLoki wrote: »
    I haven't been on here in a while, but i kind of got a wake-up call the other day... I kind of feel like i need to explain my whole story.

When i was 12, my dad was 38 and weighed over 300lbs. A doctor told him that unless he lost weight, he would be dead before he was 40. Thank the gods, he lost the weight, and is still alive today. But the incident left me with a lifelong fear of obesity. I was always quite skinny, however that changed when i was severely injured in the army. (Being barely able to walk, yet being forced to continue eating 3000 calories a day will do that to you) After i was medically discharged my mother convinced me to move back home, "until I got back on my feet". She immediately jumped on me about my weight. Stress, chronic pain, depression, suicidal thoughts and an abusive relationship resulted in a struggle with bulimia. I got out of the relationship, moved out of my mother's house, and with help from my now husband, stopped purging. I was holding down food again, but now my body held onto everything and i ballooned. That was four years ago. I still struggle with the emotional toll, but i have not relapsed in three years. I still can't walk without a cane, and with both my husband and i needing to live off of a fixed income (VA disability- he is a disabled veteran too) it's very difficult to a afford fresh foods. My wake-up call came two days ago, when getting out of the shower i found new stretch marks on my belly. The local Y, and any other gym for that matter,
    wants an arm and a leg for a membership so pool workouts are out. I am scared to death, and i don't know what to do.

Food doesn't have to be fresh in order to be low calorie. I always choose frozen veggies, fruits and even meats because they last longer, less waste and overall cheaper price.