Fun Little Discussion on Cheating

Options
This is nothing personal or related to my current style... therefore this is just a discussion. Just facts and opinions for everyone to see as they stream along...

Question: When one is cutting aka dieting to lose body fat, is an average cheat day(Whole pizza, donute, burgers etc...) better or an all you can eat buffet?

The goal is to cheat and relax your mind from calories but at the same time not break your entire deficit.

Notable things to keep in mind: Thermic energy of food, increased caloric burn from large eating and so on... basically 7000 eaten isnt 7000 calories actually, instead its actually around 5000 due to protein breakdown, energy to digest etc...

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    No matter what, I always stress about a cheat day and end up logging it throughout the week and undereating to make up for it. Therefore, I don't really do cheat days. I just pre-log whatever I'm planning on "splurging" on so I know exactly how much I can have of said item. And I would do a "meal" versus a full all you can eat buffet. Like for me, when I have my god son over, my "cheat" will be ice cream but I'll have pre-logged it and fit in into my day anyway so it feels like a cheat but I have the mental peace of knowing it was accounted for. I'm weird like that LOL
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Neither is necessarily better, but it sounds like you're looking at a refeed. A binge at a buffet doesn't benefit fat loss by itself, but a planned refeed can help with other things. Your statement on thermic energy of food is just wrong, but not that relevant to the question.

There was a very long discussion on the benefits of refeeds and diet breaks that went pretty deep on the reasons for one or the other. Maybe you'll find the answers you seek in there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I haver told myself as I started up on this lifestyle change. That the word cheat meal, or day or falling off the wagon had to go by the wayside. Did it mean I would never eat more than I was supposed to, no but instead I was going to plan for it. Example this Sunday the 1st is my day, So my planning is instead of anyone buying me a cake or pie, or ice cream cake. I said no. Instead we will go out, and get an ice cream treat/frozen yogurt so I know the calories. But biggest thing is I eat it out of the house then it is done and over no left overs. Planned into my calories, and carbs and so on. And booting the guilt for having it right out the door.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to splurge, I will splurge on a meal, not a whole day. 7000 calories is enough to undo 2 weeks worth of discipline. No thanks. I'll tell you what though, I like pizza days just the same as anyone. I can burn extra calories through the week and bank those against an extra slice or two of pizza on Saturday, but generally speaking... I can't pack away food like I used to, I just don't seem to have the room. I'm sure I could force myself to, but I've found that anything can become a habit if you do it with regularity - including listening to your body telling you that it's full.
  • mrdowell2017
    mrdowell2017 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    lol i try n stick to cheat meal not a whole day pizza and desert if I've made a lose that week in winter might have full english for breakfast to
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but when I'm presented with the opportunity to eat whatever and however much I want and happen to be in the "IDGAF mode", I would go for buffet most times. I really like variety, and I can have pizza any time so it doesn't sound special unless I'm specifically craving pizza. I don't have access to a buffet whenever I want, at least not the kind I like. It would also depend on the food available. I'm not crazy about meat, so if the buffet is mostly meat based dishes, my choices are limited and it's not as appealing.
  • deadlift555
    deadlift555 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is tough but I think I would pick the buffet!!!! 😍
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You're overthinking this. The calorie count is going to determine the effect it has upon your weight loss.

If you eat 2000 calories worth of whole pizza, donuts, burgers, etc. or 2000 calories at an all you can eat buffet, it's going to have the same effect. And you didn't specify specifically what you ate in either case, so TEF is a moot point in the discussion. The commonly accepted TEF for a mixed macronutrient meal is around 10%, and neither of your examples specify the macro composition - but with the examples you gave, both could be assumed to commonly be mixed macronutrient meals.

Thats not the question. The question was more along the way of which you prefer and i specifically mentioned that this was not personal so saying "youre overthinking or youre blah blah" doesnt really fit

I didn't see "which do you prefer?". The question was posed as "which is better?". So then I guess the clarification required would be "better" for what?

If the purpose is to relax your mind and forget about calories, then you won't know how many calories you ate - and you won't care because you're relaxed about it. If the purpose is to not destroy your deficit, then you're not forgetting about calories and you're not being relaxed about it. And if you're not breaking your entire deficit, then it's not a "cheat" in the first place. And the only way you can know whether you broke your entire deficit would be not to forget about calories. And if you're thinking about thermic effect of food, increased caloric burn from large eating and so on, you're not relaxing your mind and you're not forgetting about calories. And if it's about what somebody prefers, then isn't it personal because you're asking for their personal opinion? How can it not be personal? It's a subjective question by its very nature, not objective.

Really the whole thing is kind of going in circles.

I took this similar question from Stephanie Buttermore

I had to Google Stephanie Buttermore, since I've never heard of her before. Apparently she's a 27-year old cancer research scientist. So in that context, is the question "what is best?" phrased in terms of how it relates to the risk/probability of cancer from those foods? Calories don't have to do with cancer, but it certainly wouldn't relax my mind to think about cancer while I was eating. Personally, I find it's actually kind of an unappetizing subject, I wouldn't be able to enjoy an all you can eat buffet while thinking about it. What did Stephanie have to say about it?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking this. The calorie count is going to determine the effect it has upon your weight loss.

If you eat 2000 calories worth of whole pizza, donuts, burgers, etc. or 2000 calories at an all you can eat buffet, it's going to have the same effect. And you didn't specify specifically what you ate in either case, so TEF is a moot point in the discussion. The commonly accepted TEF for a mixed macronutrient meal is around 10%, and neither of your examples specify the macro composition - but with the examples you gave, both could be assumed to commonly be mixed macronutrient meals.

Thats not the question. The question was more along the way of which you prefer and i specifically mentioned that this was not personal so saying "youre overthinking or youre blah blah" doesnt really fit

I didn't see "which do you prefer?". The question was posed as "which is better?". So then I guess the clarification required would be "better" for what?

If the purpose is to relax your mind and forget about calories, then you won't know how many calories you ate - and you won't care because you're relaxed about it. If the purpose is to not destroy your deficit, then you're not forgetting about calories and you're not being relaxed about it. And if you're not breaking your entire deficit, then it's not a "cheat" in the first place. And the only way you can know whether you broke your entire deficit would be not to forget about calories. And if you're thinking about thermic effect of food, increased caloric burn from large eating and so on, you're not relaxing your mind and you're not forgetting about calories. And if it's about what somebody prefers, then isn't it personal because you're asking for their personal opinion? How can it not be personal? It's a subjective question by its very nature, not objective.

I love Mrs. Butterworth! I didn't realize she was into cheat days. Although, a big pile of pancakes with syrup and bacon would make an awesome cheat meal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I love Mrs. Butterworth! I didn't realize she was into cheat days. Although, a big pile of pancakes with syrup and bacon would make an awesome cheat meal.

Pancakes with syrup and bacon would relax my mind and let me forget about calories!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Pancakes with syrup and bacon would relax my mind and let me forget about calories!

Right!?! Throw in some ham and eggs. Yum!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

That woman can eat. I love food but I burn out fast.