June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    WTF is "vertical oscillation"? Is that nerdlet for "put on your shoes and run"? :p

This is up and down movement. I want to use more of my energy to move forward, not to bounce up and down.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I see.... now I understand... I am more of a pogo stick than dragster...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    WTF is "vertical oscillation"? Is that nerdlet for "put on your shoes and run"? :p

This is up and down movement. I want to use more of my energy to move forward, not to bounce up and down.

Ideally, in classroom mathematics, 100% of your energy would be used to carry you forward, but in real life you "jump" a little when you run. This is what separates running from walking really fast. No matter if you are a glider or a gazelle, you spend some amount of time with both feet off the ground.

Vertical oscillation is a measure of how much time you spend going UP. You need some UP movement to be an efficient runner, but too much is just wasted energy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Ideally, in classroom mathematics, 100% of your energy would be used to carry you forward, but in real life you "jump" a little when you run. This is what separates running from walking really fast. No matter if you are a glider or a gazelle, you spend some amount of time with both feet off the ground.

Vertical oscillation is a measure of how much time you spend going UP. You need some UP movement to be an efficient runner, but too much is just wasted energy.

Right - I'm trying to decrease it, but it looks like the methods I was trying today increased it instead. Despite that, I felt like it was a good run and pace was better than it has been in the past. I'm not sure why, but that means it is not time to write off those ideas just yet.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Did you run along the Sea Wall? I have some race goals for Vancouver next year (I grew up about an hour east of there).
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Right - I'm trying to decrease it, but it looks like the methods I was trying today increased it instead. Despite that, I felt like it was a good run and pace was better than it has been in the past. I'm not sure why, but that means it is not time to write off those ideas just yet.

There are two "styles" (using that term loosely) to running. There is the one where you get very little upward movement and sort of glide along. You end up with less airtime, but a gentler step and it seems to work better for longer runs (I run this way mainly). The second style has much more upper movement, much longer time in the air and a harder landing. This seems to work better for the faster runners, your sub 2 1/2 hour marathoners and the like. (I use this for my kick, and my fast finish runs)

So if you are getting more UP then you might be switching to the faster style.

There are pros/cons to each, and it is more of a continuum then pidgeon-holed boxes but it is easier to talk in discrete boxes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

There are two "styles" (using that term loosely) to running. There is the one where you get very little upward movement and sort of glide along. You end up with less airtime, but a gentler step and it seems to work better for longer runs (I run this way mainly). The second style has much more upper movement, much longer time in the air and a harder landing. This seems to work better for the faster runners, your sub 2 1/2 hour marathoners and the like. (I use this for my kick, and my fast finish runs)

There are pros/cons to each, and it is more of a continuum then pidgeon-holed boxes but it is easier to talk in discrete boxes.

That sounds backwards, though. I want to spend more energy going forward, not up. If my energy is going to moving up and down instead of moving forward, then I should be going slower. Right?!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    6/1 - scheduled rest
    6/2 - 10.10 km
    6/3 - 1.62 km
    6/4 - 5.10 km
    6/5 - feh
    6/6 - 5.44 km
    6/7 to 6/11 - Nada
    6/12 - 1.89 + 2.01 km
    6/14 - 9.60 km
    6/15 - 6/19 - sick
    6/20 - 4.61 hm
    6/21 - walk
    6/22 - 4.05 km
    6/23 - 2.01 km
    6/24 - 11.23 km forgot to stop my Garmin so it includes the spray park beside the finish line!
    6/25 - rest, hot, stormish
    6/26 - 5.01 km

62.67/120 km not gonna make goal this month!

"I'm going to run home," she said. Ha. Ha. Ha. 4:01 PM rolled around and the heavens opened up. And then I played the procrastination game all evening but finally headed out. It was nice out and felt like a good run.

Also I'm playing around with starting a vlog. Mostly bouncy running footage so be warned. Beneath the spoiler tags.
    2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish waiting for timing website to update & forgot to stop my watch
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon)
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 10Kish
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    10/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Keepin' it real. :wink:

I should add "in true @LoneWolfRunner form" in case others haven't recognized that its you again.

Those of us who have been around a while know his reincarnations! :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq Did you run along the Sea Wall? I have some race goals for Vancouver next year (I grew up about an hour east of there).

I did not - I ran around Science World and Yaletown, the first on purpose, the second while I was lost and trying to find my hotel again without stopping for directions. The Sea Wall looks amazing - it's going to have to go on the list for next time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

That sounds backwards, though. I want to spend more energy going forward, not up. If my energy is going to moving up and down instead of moving forward, then I should be going slower. Right?!

Nope, because although you are less energy efficient, you're spending much more energy total. The "gazelle style" involves longer flight time so it's faster.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1HK2m8.png

RUhgm8.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mcw2018mfp wrote: »
    A little late on this question as the picture was about 3 pages back, but what kind of snake is that @garygse?
    We only have garter snakes here so there is no scare factor.

I'm not an authority, and google wont find the right snake but it does look like a plains garter. Anyone?

I would have guessed some kind of rat snake.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Nope, because although you are less energy efficient, you're spending much more energy total. The "gazelle style" involves longer flight time so it's faster.

The "gazelle" style does use more energy, but as @rheddmobile said translates into more flight time, which means you go farther per stride without increasing your stride length.

As with all things, there are pros/cons to both, which is why I use both. For cruising a long run, I glide. I can hold my around 9 min pace for miles and miles that way, but if I need to pour on speed, then I switch because there are limits to the efficiency of the glider form.

Much better runners than I can do entire marathons in the gazelle form, and they can approach that 2-hour mark by doing it so it can be done, and is done, just not by me. :)

And of course, there is a balance you need to find, jumping too high will remove the advantages of the gazelle style and slow you down. Not getting enough upward movement and you will lose the advantage also.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Joke's on me - thought I'd update my ticker quick, check in on the posts, shower and head to work. Hmmm....I need to leave in 10 minutes and here I sit all sweaty and still reading posts.

@skippygirlsmom - I cannot even say how much I love that medal/award. Wow.

@PastorVincent - my hat is off to you for setting the Dopey as a goal. I'm a sucker for great bling - but I also know my limits. I ran a half two weekends in a row last March and my husband thought I was nuts for that!

@shanaber - your dogs a BEAUTIFUL

@girlinahat - there are no words about your race - WOW - I am in complete and total awe.

For whatever reason, I CANNOT get my ticker to update. So in reality, I'm at 36 miles with 8 to go.

exercise.png