What does “Complete Diary” do?

Options
I’ve always wondered, what does the “Complete Diary” function actually, you know, DO?

Adding to that, just now, at -1 Calorie remaining for the day (and 0 calories activity) when I clicked to complete today’s diary, it said I’d lose 2.5 pounds in five weeks!

How did it arrive at that number??!

I expected it would say I’ll be the same weight in 5 weeks since I only had one calorie over my break even.

First time dieter.
Started in 5 months ago
SW: 181
GW: 161
CW: 162
Height: 5’10”
Activity: Not very Active
I’m more or less in maintenance, trying for a very “soft landing.” But I’d be fine to stabilize at my current weight too.

Replies

• strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything, other than give you a 'motivating' message I suppose. Plus it posts on your feed. Are you set to maintenance or are you set to lose .5lb a week? Because that sounds like it perfectly lines up with a 250 calorie deficit.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I closes off that day for food, posts to friends wall's as to whether you have been under your calorie target or just closed your diary. Also it logs the number for tracking so you can see in the graphs how you have done though this may happen even if you don't close, I don't know as I always close.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do a lot. You can still add food after you hit complete. It's pretty pointless in my humble opinion.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I close so that my mfp friends can review my food if it is helpful to them (it's how I gathered menu ideas in my early days and occasionally go to if I'm having a 'bored with my food' moment) and comment if they think I am doing anything daft (hopefully not).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal is not your break even (aka maintenance) it is your goal with the deficit needed to lose the amount of weight you selected per week. Eating slightly above it does not erase the entire deficit for the day.
  • tfield98
    tfield98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Your daily calorie goal is not your break even (aka maintenance) it is your goal with the deficit needed to lose the amount of weight you selected per week. Eating slightly above it does not erase the entire deficit for the day.

I’m set for maintenance: zero weight change.

So, as I noted in the OP, I’d think that MFP would predict I wouldn’t lose or gain on a 1 cal deficit.

Anyway, thanks all for the answers. This isn’t a big deal to me.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, it just gives you an updated weight loss/gain estimate based on that day's cal intakrle.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it keeps me from eating more that evening...

But not often, especially since the button hasn't been working in my app for a long time.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As someone stated in a similar thread a couple of months ago, nothing says you have to complete your diary. Since I read that, I haven't bothered with it. It was never accurate anyway.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I closes off that day for food, posts to friends wall's as to whether you have been under your calorie target or just closed your diary. Also it logs the number for tracking so you can see in the graphs how you have done though this may happen even if you don't close, I don't know as I always close.

You can add food after you click on "complete diary," so it doesn't close off that day for food. And your numbers get tracked whether or not you close the diary. It just gives you the message and posts to your information feed if you haven't changed the default settings (you can change the defaults so it won't post to your information feed).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    tfield98 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

I’m set for maintenance: zero weight change.

So, as I noted in the OP, I’d think that MFP would predict I wouldn’t lose or gain on a 1 cal deficit.

Anyway, thanks all for the answers. This isn’t a big deal to me.

Well, that's odd then. Have you recorded (accidentally or actually) a weight gain since you set up your profile and goals? You might want to double check that you didn't accidentally click on the wrong goal. Or do you have a heart rate monitor or fitness tracker synced to MFP?