Any way to make protein powder less sweet? (Nitro tech double chocolate)

Options
madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on how to make protein powder less sweet that isn't 'just watering it down more'. I also don't like bananas, so that option is out.

I bought a 2 lb size of Nitro Tech whey double chocolate and it is just way too sweet for me. I don't want to throw it out, and am trying to salvage it.

Does anyone mix two protein powders to reduce sweetness, and if so, which ones?

Thanks.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Maybe try mixing it with unflavored whey? Or maybe give it to a friend? I can't handle the taste of flavoured protein powders. I've tried so many and I always go back to plain whey.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Folgers.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Folgers.

Funny. Before you responded I just mixed it with 3 shots of espresso so I could get it down. Seemed to work. My caffeine intake might be a little higher than usual today!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Folgers.

Funny. Before you responded I just mixed it with 3 shots of espresso so I could get it down. Seemed to work. My caffeine intake might be a little higher than usual today!

The nice thing with folgers is you can add it cold and it won't curdle the whey. Hot coffee can.

Obviously you'll need to mind your caffeine intake, but it's an alternative to a coke or coffee with your morning breakfast protein shake.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I buy my wife the unflavored whey isolate. Then she can add what she likes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Mix it in to natural yoghurt? The tartness might help to reduce the sweetness?
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If a fruity flavour whey I add in the juice of a lime just to make it a bit more tart. It just takes the edge off the excessive sweetness. I am yet to discover how to tone down the coffee caramel whey though.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Actually, yes. Something like quark, which tends to be naturally a bit more tart than yoghurt.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Actually, yes. Something like quark, which tends to be naturally a bit more tart than yoghurt.

This is basically what I do. I use plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
  • twebb1962
    twebb1962 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to find the answer to this question too. I bought the Devotion Brownie Batter flavor protein powder but it's extremely sweet with an artificial sweetener taste that is bitter and overlysweet at the same time.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You could try mixing it with unflavored collagen protein. That tends to have zero or minimal flavor and it should help cut the sweetness. Vital Proteins make some options.

Or just toss it. You tried it, didn't like it and there is no reason to force yourself to eat it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    twebb1962 wrote: »
    I was hoping to find the answer to this question too. I bought the Devotion Brownie Batter flavor protein powder but it's extremely sweet with an artificial sweetener taste that is bitter and overlysweet at the same time.

I'd try to return it. By the way, you can often get a refund for non-returnable items on Amazon by contacting customer service (not directly through your orders.) You don't have to return these to get a refund.

Otherwise, do try both coffee and plain Greek yogurt.

I see both your brand and the product in the OP contain sucralose. I can't abide artificial sweetener (or stevia) and would have to toss it if I was unable to return it. You might be surprised by what you can return :lol: