How long do i need in the gym

Options
I have been going to the gym Mon-Sat for an hour each time. I get a good workout involving both cardio and "light weights". An example of my gym workout is 5 Min treadmill warmup, 15 minute stairmaster as fast as can go. 10kg Medicine ball slam and 10kg overhead press (10 reps x 3). 8kg crossfit dumbell snatch (10 reps x 3) 10kg bar bicep curl and tricep dips on bench (10 reps x 3) 18inch box steps up either 30 secs as fast many as possible (each leg) or 12 on each leg (3 sets)

Im currently eating 1200 calories - Almond Milk and Weetabix for breakfast, Chicken salad for lunch, protein and veg for tea (chilli, chicken, steak etc). Snack are 2 pieces of fruit and an arla protein yogurt (mixed with Chai seeds).

Post workout protein shake - My Protein womens shake (with almond milk 120 cals with 25g Protein)
Roughly 153g carbs, 28g fat, 78g protein.

At the moment i am not seeing a big improvement in my weight loss. So roughly 2 lbs in 12 days however i seen an update in weight during this period. Am i doing something wrong?

I am 13st 4lb today and my goal weight is 10st. I go o holiday is 15 weeks an d just want to feel good in a bikini (as we all do) but feel im not going to be ready. I have been going to the gym since January but in the last 6 weeks have been doing it daily.

Should i increase and do an hour cardio and an hour weights each day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you netting 1200 cals?
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused - You state that you have been going to the gym almost daily for the past 6 weeks, but you only mention your weight loss for the last 12 days. What has been your total weight loss for the past 6 weeks?

First, 12 days is not long enough to get an accurate picture of your weight loss. Our weight fluctuates based on water retention, among other things. For women, the time of the month, is a factor.

Having said that, I agree with the above poster that 2 pounds lost in 12 days is a good rate. I do not think that your goal of losing 46 pounds in 15 weeks is appropriate. That is about 3 pounds a week. You should be aiming for about 1% of your weight per week. What do you have as your weekly weight loss goal set for in MFP?

Once you have set a reasonable weight loss goal, then you need to be sure you are tracking your calories accurately. Many people will tell you that you need a food scale to accurately measure what you are eating.

I agree with the above poster - weight loss is all about calories in/calories out - it can be done without exercise, although exercise does provide many benefits.

• LyndsayFalconer
    LyndsayFalconer Posts: 7 Member
    Options

No this is what I'm eating?

• LyndsayFalconer
    LyndsayFalconer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    I am a little confused - You state that you have been going to the gym almost daily for the past 6 weeks, but you only mention your weight loss for the last 12 days. What has been your total weight loss for the past 6 weeks?

First, 12 days is not long enough to get an accurate picture of your weight loss. Our weight fluctuates based on water retention, among other things. For women, the time of the month, is a factor.

Having said that, I agree with the above poster that 2 pounds lost in 12 days is a good rate. I do not think that your goal of losing 46 pounds in 15 weeks is appropriate. That is about 3 pounds a week. You should be aiming for about 1% of your weight per week. What do you have as your weekly weight loss goal set for in MFP?

Once you have set a reasonable weight loss goal, then you need to be sure you are tracking your calories accurately. Many people will tell you that you need a food scale to accurately measure what you are eating.

I agree with the above poster - weight loss is all about calories in/calories out - it can be done without exercise, although exercise does provide many benefits.

Since the 30th April I have lost 10lbs. (58days=10.3LBs and 1% body fat)
    Between January and April and I didn't really lose much as wasn't watching calories nor really working out.

I have really started monitoring since 17th May and make sure I track daily my calories (using fitness pal) and I also wear a fitbit, so everything is tracked. Since the 17th May I have lost 6.6lbs (41days = 6.6lbs and 0.7% body fat).

This does average 1lb a week but when you are completing changing, its going up and down each week....ie one week I'm up 2lb next week I'm down 3lb (not womanly time of month related either)...

Ive went from a pretty unhealthy diet with massive calories, to calories restrictive and then working hard in the gym. I don't "look" like ive lost weight, and I'm not seeing any difference in clothing either.
    To give some perspective too. Today I weighed myself and I'm 13st 4lb...I was 14st exactly. So I'm pretty big especially for only being 5ft
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You need to adjust your expectations. You’re losing weight just fine at a very good rate. Just keep going. You will see a difference in clothing soon enough. Maybe the success stories section of the forum will be motivating for you.

And I don’t necessarily think you need to be working out that long in the gym. But if you want to and you enjoy it then by all means, go for it.

The 1200 calorie goal seems suspicious. Did you enter all your stats in and that’s what mfp gave you?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No this is what I'm eating?

you need to eat back your exercise cals, you're under eating.

your rate of loss sounds fine, you just need to be more patient, weight loss isn't linear
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    As others have said 1lb per week is great. The only thing stood out for me is you carbs are 60% of your daily intake. I would lower them and up your protein. I am eating 30%carb, 40%pro, 30%fat which works for me.

As for your original question, time in the gym is relevant to what you are doing and what your goals are. I think an hour is perfectly fine as long as you are getting done what you had planned to meet your goals. I found when I was trying to drop weight/fat, I would split my workouts up. Morning cardio 30 mins, after work light warm up cardio15 min and then weight lifting 45-60 min.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You don't need more time in the gym. I imagine you have a life you want to live as well. The rate you are losing at is a healthy rate, I wouldn't change anything there. Your work out needs help tho. I think you first need to define your goals. Then you will get better advice. Are you looking to get stronger, reshape your body, or simply lose weight. Once you know what you would like to accomplish. I would check this thread for an appropriate lifting program that matches your goals, then work your cardio around that on the off days. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
    Trying to do a little of everything everyday and doing the same lifts everyday is not a very effective or efficient use of time.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'd say get a food scale if you aren't already using it. Eat at 1200/day and eat back more like 30-40% of your estimated exercise calories. If you're doing weight training any estimates will be overrated, but the cardio will burn more calories. Eating too little can really mess with your metabolism so sometimes you need to eat more. In an hour at the gym I'm assuming you're burning 2-300 calories at least unless you spend your time messing around and not working out much. So you should be eating 1200+250 minimum or maybe even 1200 + 300 cals. Do that for a few weeks and see what happens.

No amount of extra time in the gym is going to lose you weight. 1 minute or 120 minutes makes no difference. What makes the difference is your calorie deficit. More time in the gym means you probably are going to be hungrier and will under estimate how much you eat. The scale will keep you accurate.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You will be gaining muscle, so the actual weight loss will not tell the whole picture. Take a photo of yourself and compare yourself in a month, if you keep up whats seems to be a very retrictive diet with the amount of excersize you are doing, you will see a great improvement.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You will be gaining muscle, so the actual weight loss will not tell the whole picture. Take a photo of yourself and compare yourself in a month, if you keep up whats seems to be a very retrictive diet with the amount of excersize you are doing, you will see a great improvement.

Extreme calorie deficits and hard workouts is not a path to gaining muscle or "great improvement". It's a path to burnout, lack of energy, injury and loss of muscle (rather than gains).

The whole idea isn't to see how much punishment and deprivation your body can take.

To answer the original question, how long you need in the gym is however long it takes to complete whatever efficient, well-designed workout program you're doing. Some people waste 2-3 hours in the gym accomplishing basically nothing; others get a great, beneficial workout done in a half hour.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    At the moment i am not seeing a big improvement in my weight loss. So roughly 2 lbs in 12 days however i seen an update in weight during this period. Am i doing something wrong?

You've got a bunch of varied advice so far. I honestly don't think you're doing anything specifically wrong other than (maybe) not eating enough. You never said how tall you were or your age, so none of us know if 1200 calories is a correct amount for you or not. But assuming it is correct MFP doesn't take into account exercise. Anything additional you do you need to add to those calories. Problem is that if you are not weighing everything with a food scale, it's likely you're underestimating the food you're eating anyway, and probably eating more than 1200 calories a day which is fine if you're exercising the way you describe.

The only real way to be sure, is to get the scale, weigh everything. Add in exercise, and when you do, make sure what is added in is accurate. Use your best judgment by comparing what MFP gives you for specific exercises with other calculators freely available online. Even then I usually still don't eat all those calories back, maybe 50-70% of them. The gym time is a great thing to keep up. Do more if you want, but make sure that if you do you're eating more.

Keep one last thing in mind. Maximum loss rate should be about 2lbs per week. The very overweight or very obese person can maybe lose a bit more at first, but in general 2lbs per week on average is/should be a maximum goal and that's at a very high deficit. You're better off if you can exercise a bit more patience, to set yourself at a goal of 1lb per week. Since you're hitting the gym routinely a loss rate of 1lb per week would help you to keep any muscle mass you already have without sacrificing it to lose at a faster rate. You won't gain much muscle while dieting, but you can strive to keep what you have. 2lbs in 12 days is probably exactly where you want to be, that's about an average of 1lb per week. So either keep on doing what you're doing, or get super accurate with calorie tracking with a food scale and dial in what you want. But honestly, you're where you should be now at that rate.

I managed to lose at an average of 2lbs per week my first year here. It was hell. I ended up injured more than once, fatigued, and it was hard as hell on my body. I don't recommend it. Since then I have dialed things back and am much happier. Granted, I'm now maintaining or doing bulk/cut cycles, but I keep it to no more than 1lb per week loss (or gain for that matter when that's what I want). My fitness is better, so is performance at the things I like to do.

One last thing. Water weight. Women have a harder time with it than men do, but men still experience it. I've gained 5lbs overnight before just by eating a *kitten* ton of salty foods the day before. I've also lost 5lbs overnight by drinking tons of water to flush it all out of my system. So when you see small upticks don't worry it may not mean anything other than whatever you ate the day before was extra tasty (likely because it had extra salt).

Food for thought.