Starvation mode and the Biggest Loser participants

Options
What's the current consensus on starvation mode after it was discovered that Biggest Loser winners had drastically reduced metabolic rates? Has there been any further research?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have done crazy crash dieting for 3 months at a time a couple of times. I think I have suffered some AT, but only in the 150-200 calorie range. I should be able to maintain at ~1900 with no exercise but I will slowly gain if I eat that much each day. I could eat more each day and still have a stable weight if I hadn't done the crash dieting. But it isn't starvation mode because that's not really a thing. When you suffer some AT, it can either be an excuse to get fat or a reason to eat less. Unfortunately it seems to be relative to what your total diet normally was and/or the deficit you restricted yourself to for a long time so the biggest loser competitors had more significant AT, like as high as 600 calories a day. They would have to get used to eating significantly less to maintain a lower weight. It was just too much of an adjustment for most of them.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic as well--I maintain on a pretty low calorie level, maybe 1600-1700 with exercise, and I am not sure if that's because I'm already within a healthy weight range, because I did crash diet as a younger person and have always had to track/eat carefully to maintain my weight, if it's because I'm in my 40s, or what. I have added strength training and it's been great for my muscle definition, but I have not had the experience other people do where they can suddenly start eating thousands of extra calories a day because their body is "always burning." It's OK--I'm not fighting it at this point. Have figured out how to eat strategically so that I am always satisfied and have enough energy for workouts. But, will admit to jealousy when I hear of people losing pounds and pounds a week on calorie levels that would result in me gaining!!!
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    But, will admit to jealousy when I hear of people losing pounds and pounds a week on calorie levels that would result in me gaining!!!

I think these people get up during the night and sneak 5 mile runs with a backpack full of rocks instead of sneaking a handful of oreos. :smiley: Yeah, I am pretty jealous of them also and no, I don't sneak a handful of oreos; if I eat them (and sometimes I do) I log them.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure how they lose weight on the biggest loser is the healthiest or most advisable way to go about it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

There is some good info in there, but he does some serious damage to his credibility with this sort of stuff:
    So combine your typical headcase female dieter (who is already mentally stressing themselves out), add a massive caloric restriction, add tons of cardio. And cortisol goes through the roof. And this is worse in some personality types. You can always tell them on Internet forums, they type in all caps with lots of !!!

Lyle McDonald isn't the most politically correct person. He doesn't give a rat's *kitten*.

And while it's a *kitten* thing to say. Doesn't mean it's false. He possibly could have worded it more diplomatically, but then you wouldn't have remembered it.
    So combine your typical headcase female dieter (who is already mentally stressing themselves out), add a massive caloric restriction, add tons of cardio. And cortisol goes through the roof. And this is worse in some personality types. You can always tell them on Internet forums, they type in all caps with lots of !!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

But as @psychod787 pointed out from the Leibel's study, that NEAT was one of the largest components of metabolic adaption. Increasing/maintaining NEAT seems to be key to preventing weight regain...

Increasing your NEAT is in your control ...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Themajez wrote: »
    What's the current consensus on starvation mode after it was discovered that Biggest Loser winners had drastically reduced metabolic rates? Has there been any further research?

General consensus is that reduced BMR is a real thing and depending on the scale/scope of the damage determines the time taken for recovery. Although some variation is to be expected, and some damage may take years to fully recover.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Themajez wrote: »

General consensus is that reduced BMR is a real thing and depending on the scale/scope of the damage determines the time taken for recovery. Although some variation is to be expected, and some damage may take years to fully recover.

The article I read said that after 6 years there was still no improvement in the contestants reduced BMR even if they had gained back all the weight and more. It's still early to be sure, but they might be screwed for life. There probably needs to be some sort of intervention (medical?) to get it to return to the prior state, but this last part is just me guessing.