Blue Apron portions

Options
deason91
deason91 Posts: 12 Member
I've been using Blue Apron for the past two weeks, and I've found that if you half the portion they consider a single portion, you'll be actually eating the right amount. Their portion sizes are huge. So, the good thing is that instead of the 700 calories for their portion, you're only eating 350. I also started doing this at restaurants - just telling them to serve me half the portion and box up the other half. Boy, it helps a lot that it's not on your plate, or you'll feel compelled to eat it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would assume appropriate portion sizes for a meal would depend on caloric need for the day, as well as number of meals per day?
  • deason91
    Options
    Yes, that's true. Also, it probably depends on the needs of the person. Since I'm losing weight, my nutritionist suggested 1500 calories a day, but even when I wasn't, I couldn't eat a whole portion of Blue Apron without feeling a little stuffed.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about using blue apron just for a couple of meals and recipe choices. I see you used them for 2 weeks and how do you like them.
  • deason91
    Options
    I really like BA. I love how I can choose the three meals I want each week (out of 8 choices), and all of the meals have nutritional information. Plus, a lot of the meals are already logged into MFP. The only thing is that these aren't quick meals to make - they usually take between 35 - 50 minutes.
  • Chesirekate
    Chesirekate Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use blue apron...and eat the entire portion they give me. But I only eat 2 meals a day, each one around 6-700 calories, so it's perfect for me. I love the variety, and my son gets excited for the meals also. For me, it's been a life changer..helping me stick to my goals
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Look into Home Chef too, easier prep and more choices. I’m currently on Hungryroot (vegan), and so far, so good.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I do the same at restaurants.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I used Blue Apron for several months and really really liked it. I did the same thing and only ate half, then took the other half for lunch the next day. DH and I just got to busy to spend that much time cooking several times a week when our son wouldn't even eat any of it. Only ten more years till he's off to college!! lol, jk ...but also for real....