Has anyone on here with naturally fine hair had a perm before. I want to achieve beach waves

Options
thirtiesrock
thirtiesrock Posts: 30 Member
Grew out my highlights and thinking about getting few bottom of hair, would a perm and highlights destroy my hair

Replies

• mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Are perms a thing? Thought we left that in the 80s. Just get a good curling iron. Yes it would destroy fine hair.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Grew out my highlights and thinking about getting few bottom of hair, would a perm and highlights destroy my hair

Go for the fro!!!!!
  • thirtiesrock
    Options
    Ha. Yeah I think you can get different types of perm
  • thirtiesrock
    Options
    Haha, blonde fro awesome 😎
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    My perm went poorly
    miwikdthtia1.jpeg
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    My perm went poorly
    miwikdthtia1.jpeg

:D looks great!
  • thirtiesrock
    Options
    It is healthy but fine. Just thinking If I apply heat to it daily to curl it or most days, it will damage. I never have much luck with overnight curls x
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I got a perm and achieved nice beach waves.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Are perms a thing? Thought we left that in the 80s. Just get a good curling iron. Yes it would destroy fine hair.

You’d be surprised
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have super thick, naturally curly hair, but my sister in law has super fine hair...we used Hair Flair Curlformers on her hair and it worked beautifully and left no damage! We bought them at Sally's Beauty, but not sure that is located everywhere. I know that she said before that she used some sort of Styrofoam rods, but the curls didn't last an entire day
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I got fired from a job because of a perm. I don't recommend it.

My sister and I worked for a company where we needed to get our hair straightened. The owners liked how we attended a Halloween party where we'd worn straight haired wigs as Morrigan. He insisted that we either straightened our real hair or they're going to pay for extensions. That was the look he and his wife wanted to see on us everyday as we represented their company. We got our hair straightened - Japanese straight and wore it down, as per their request. The company continued to pay for re-straightening. Curly hair could get you fired, no joke.

Straight, sleek and sharp are perceived as a more professional "look". Curly is fun in the sun, holiday, out of bed - a look for a more casual setting.

** Shared it with my mum, to which she'd replied, " But of course, they don't want to see "bush bunny" hair. Lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair and had perms throughout my life but have not had one for 18 years or so. I don't think my hair got damaged.
    I have used a curling iron occasionally. I think it is annoying to do and the curl doesn't stay as long for me as a perm would even with hair products.
  • thirtiesrock
    Options
    I’m not very good at heat styling though, in fact I’m rubbish
  • Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have super fine hair. In all honesty it would probably really damage your hair. You just need a 1 inch curling iron and use that to style it. Not have the heat really high. If you aren’t great at styling I would have someone show you. I would also maybe have someone texturize your hair when cutting it since it’s so fine. That’s what I have to have done. Just my experience.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My sister and I worked for a company where we needed to get our hair straightened. The owners liked how we attended a Halloween party where we'd worn straight haired wigs as Morrigan. He insisted that we either straightened our real hair or they're going to pay for extensions. That was the look he and his wife wanted to see on us everyday as we represented their company. We got our hair straightened - Japanese straight and wore it down, as per their request. The company continued to pay for re-straightening. Curly hair could get you fired, no joke.

Straight, sleek and sharp are perceived as a more professional "look". Curly is fun in the sun, holiday, out of bed - a look for a more casual setting.

I am rocking the day two (messy) curls at work today. If someone told me to straighten my hair I would tell them, not very politely, where to go.

@thirtiesrock I am a fine haired curly and I don't know about you, but I find that fine hair damages very easily, so I'd be careful before slathering heavy duty chemicals on it. Do you have a natural kink in your hair at all? If so, perhaps look in to the curly girl method.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Tip from my hairdresser. Wash and dry your hair at night, then put it in a bun to sleep in. Take it out just before you leave for the day. Or wear it in a bun while at work, then take it out before heading out to the clubs.

Or get one of these new fangled devices: https://www.conair.com/co/153/bun-2-done-enhanced-product-page/401

I also have fine hair, got a perm once back in the 70's , wanted waves, got a fro. It was awful.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    this definitely works. I have fine hair, a lot but texture fine. I wear my hair up and take it down and have great waves. I also have used one of the auto curlers, it does work for me for very lose curls. I have poker straight hair so it does not give tight curls at all.
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Tip from my hairdresser. Wash and dry your hair at night, then put it in a bun to sleep in. Take it out just before you leave for the day. Or wear it in a bun while at work, then take it out before heading out to the clubs.

Or get one of these new fangled devices: https://www.conair.com/co/153/bun-2-done-enhanced-product-page/401

I also have fine hair, got a perm once back in the 70's , wanted waves, got a fro. It was awful.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think back to when I got a perm in 5th grade and reminds me of how grateful I am that cell phones and social media were not around back then.