How did you find your "happy" weight?

vm007
vm007 Posts: 241 Member
Hi,

Just wondering how did you decide, "ok this is the weight I'm happy with" and then stopped gaining or losing.

I haven't found it yet. At present I wouldn't mind losing another 3 - 5 lbs or so but I feel like I need to change my entire wardrobe again so as for clothes to be "proper". I also want to be slightly bigger but stay leaner lol.

TIA

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    For me it is a mixture of health, appearance and practicality. This means; making sure I am within a healthy BMI range, like the look of where I am at and at a range where clothes fit well rather than being between sizes.
    At the moment I am at the lower end of my BMI and clothes are a bit on the loose side so ideally a few extra kilograms gained would be of benefit.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I picked the highest weight for "normal" on BMI scale. I'm not happy with it, but my GP isn't giving me the weight loss lecture anymore.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    I've decided not to chase a weight, im going for how I look and the definition I want to be able to see.
    I'm at my ideal weight/Body fat when I can just about see abs and I have that sexy hip V thing going on.
  • vm007
    bufger wrote: »
    I've decided not to chase a weight, im going for how I look and the definition I want to be able to see.
    I'm at my ideal weight/Body fat when I can just about see abs and I have that sexy hip V thing going on.

By weight- that's what I meant lol.
  • vm007
    I guess, this is why it's called a "journey" instead of destination because our "ideal" keeps on changing as we mature.

3-5lb drop and I'd be at my "ideal" spot however, this time after my bulk I leaned out so slowly that it isn't even a joke. There were 2-3 weeks where weight just stayed at the same spot and then out of no where-after a big meal next morning weight would go down by like 1 lb. My wardrobe needs a full revamp though. For example- last year around same weight those clothes fit me perfectly but I didn't look as good without clothes and didn't have abs. This year some areas of the same shirt fit perfectly other areas feel very loose.

I am also eating this time around by "feeling" as in -am I actually hungry or am I bored. I still measure when I'm about to eat to make sure- I don't overdo it. I've been in this for 2 years. Cut , bulk , cut, bulk and now cutting again. I am fairly confident that I can live without logging now.

Sometimes if I know that there is a heavy meal in the evening which I cannot measure - I'd save so many calories from my day and then eat that meal in evening without a worry.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    My happy weight, which I'm happy to be at now, is in the middle of my BMI healthy range, a weight where my clothes fit perfectly--and most importantly, to weigh less, I'd have to really cut down my calories to a level that would just make life not fun.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I want to be at a low enough weight that going lower wouldn't have any additional health benefits so I can eat as much as possible to maintain.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    First of all, within a healthy BMI. Then a compromise between size (would be nice to be thinner) and the habits required (would be nice to eat more and move less) to maintain it.

This is exactly where I'm at. I would like to be thinner but I'm at a healthy weight now and can maintain it.

• vm007
    I've noticed - ideal physique vs the effort to maintain that for rest of our lives is an important juncture.
    I think my perception got skewed because in the beginning I didn't know about CICO and only knew about good food vs bad food then I started learning from youtubers and then I learned that majority of them are on "one thing or another".

I, then learned about CICO and moderation and no such thing as "bad food". Now, I learned that ideal physique is one thing but would your life style allow you to maintain that or would you need to drastically change your life style to incorporate that unless of course you are on one of those "things" which throws some things out of equation.

For me, it seems I still need to find that sweet spot lol. I'm glad you all have found yours.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited June 2018
    I chose the middle of the Healthy BMI but I still have fat in my abdomen (like 5lbs) I blame it on my small frame and genetics, many ladies heavier than me have a tiny waist :/ right now I’m not willing to cut so I’m focusing on Cardio and weights, little by little my body keeps changing, I feel it when I touch my fat pockets (shrinking) and I see it with my clothes getting looser, maybe I’ll cut one of this days but when we start eating more is hard to go back at least it is for me :D
    And with clothes on I look “small” so yeah...
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I chose the middle of a healthy range according to many Googlings and hit that. I stayed there for a year, decided I wanted a bit more and took 5 more off, and here I am.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,770 Member
    I picked a provisional weight goal at the beginning that was about 10-15 pounds above a happy adult weight I'd been at decades before, because "everyone said" that we should be a little heavier as we age. As that weight approached, I could feel that it was still too high. I had more body fat than I needed for decent health, for sure. At that point, I started to think about what benchmarks I'd use to decide when my body fat level was approximately where I wanted it to be (lower 20s percent), based on things like those galleries of people at various body fat levels - characteristics I could look for on my own body to know when I was in that kind of general range. Finally, I literally woke up one morning and said "I think I'm there". It was pretty close to the same weight I'd been happy/healthy at, decades earlier - maybe 5 pounds up.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member
    For me it's going to be a look in the mirror more than a number on the scale. I probably won't ever be "done"; not getting mistaken for a Marvel character any time soon.