HITT?? Treadmill workouts?

Options
Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
Don't wanna gain too much muscle I'm tall and kinda thick already
Get rid of love handles

Any other workout or eating advice is welcome as well!
Thank you!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

How far do you run on the treadmill?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its July in 2 days, i don't think 20lbs by then is realistic :laugh: or by august for that matter. you should be aiming for 1lb per week max.

• Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    its July in 2 days, i don't think 20lbs by then is realistic :laugh: or by august for that matter. you should be aiming for 1lb per week max.

Oh I meant by the end of July, or maybe halfway through August? Is 2 pounds a week still safe? I have a deadline.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Oh I meant by the end of July, or maybe halfway through August? Is 2 pounds a week still safe? I have a deadline.

not really if that's all you have left to lose.

whats the deadline?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Well done.

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

In all honesty the is a lot of misinformation about the value of HIIT and you'll get far more benefit from working up to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Rather than design a plan for that I'd recommend just using something like Couch to 5K to develop your capacity to do that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

I'd be interested to see evidence of that. Most of the commentary I've seen on the purported benefits are nonsense.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

If walk/jog/run (steadily increasing speed) is your typical workout, then you can play with the splits and make it more challenging each week. Maybe extend the portion of the time you run or increase the max speed you attain.

About 2-3 times a week, add in a completely different workout. Maybe try a hill workout on the treadmill at a fast walk (4mph). Try some 400m intervals, where you run at an *uncomfortable* pace for 400m and then walk 400m. You can start with 3-4 intervals and work your way up to more.

Maybe a typical week could look like this.

Rest or Cross Train
    400m intervals
    Standard Workout + 10 min
    Standard Workout
    Rest
    Hills
    Standard Workout + 15 mins

I can't say what this will do for your body composition, since that depends also on diet. But I can tell you that you will improve athletic performance and continue challenging yourself to maintain good calorie burns.

ETA: you can certainly add in HIIT, but you might want to try this first and work up to it
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

Uhhhh no what do you mean? I'm really tall but I'm still fat, especially on my thighs and arms. My middle is slender but it's still flabby too. I got love handles....is that what you meant?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

NO, actually it won't.

However, as you lose weight, you'll burn fewer calories going the same distance, and as you get more efficient, you'll be able to go farther in the same time, or do the same distance in less time(which results in greater calorie burns). But it really doesn't matter how often you run or what patterns you run for calorie burn.

That being said. The best way to maximize weight(fat) loss is to get your diet under control.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

whats the deadline?

College.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Well done.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

In all honesty the is a lot of misinformation about the value of HIIT and you'll get far more benefit from working up to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Rather than design a plan for that I'd recommend just using something like Couch to 5K to develop your capacity to do that.

Soooo it'll be better to just run? What does couch to 5k mean?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

whats the deadline?

College.

you cant go to college if you havent lost 20lbs?
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

If walk/jog/run (steadily increasing speed) is your typical workout, then you can play with the splits and make it more challenging each week. Maybe extend the portion of the time you run or increase the max speed you attain.

About 2-3 times a week, add in a completely different workout. Maybe try a hill workout on the treadmill at a fast walk (4mph). Try some 400m intervals, where you run at an *uncomfortable* pace for 400m and then walk 400m. You can start with 3-4 intervals and work your way up to more.

Rest or Cross Train
    400m intervals
    Standard Workout
    Rest
    Hills

I can't say what this will do for your body composition, since that depends also on diet. But I can tell you that you will improve athletic performance and continue challenging yourself to maintain good calorie burns.

ETA: you can certainly add in HIIT, but you might want to try this first and work up to it

Okay cool! What's Cross Train? And do you mean upping the incline by hills?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Well done.

Soooo it'll be better to just run? What does couch to 5k mean?

C25K is a 9 week running program designed to get you from a very low level to running 30+ minutes in 9 weeks. There's an app from zen labs or you can download a print copy to work from.

It generally works better outside than on the treadmill.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Rest or Cross Train
    400m intervals
    Standard Workout
    Rest
    Hills

Okay cool! What's Cross Train? And do you mean upping the incline by hills?

i wouldn't worry about speed work or hills, just get to the stage of being able to run 30-40 minutes without stopping.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing.

That's not the case. With walking and running calorie consumption is as simple as distance and mass. Losing weight means lower consumption, but exercise efficiency has no meaningful bearing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited June 2018
    Options

Well done.

Soooo it'll be better to just run?

Yes. Running is really simple.

At entry level just focusing on continuous running gives most benefit.

To put things in context, I'm a regular marathon and ultra runner. Most of my training is constant pace.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

whats the deadline?

College.

you cant go to college if you havent lost 20lbs?

Well I actually have more reasons besides college heh. 😁