HITT?? Treadmill workouts?

Options

Replies

• Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
    Don't wanna gain too much muscle I'm tall and kinda thick already
    Get rid of love handles

Any other workout or eating advice is welcome as well!
    Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

NO, actually it won't.

However, as you lose weight, you'll burn fewer calories going the same distance, and as you get more efficient, you'll be able to go farther in the same time, or do the same distance in less time(which results in greater calorie burns). But it really doesn't matter how often you run or what patterns you run for calorie burn.

That being said. The best way to maximize weight(fat) loss is to get your diet under control.

I thought the fatter you were, the more calories you burned? But like your body gets used to doing on workout after a bit doesn't it?
  • Jayfeather15
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

How far do you run on the treadmill?

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

In all honesty the is a lot of misinformation about the value of HIIT and you'll get far more benefit from working up to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Rather than design a plan for that I'd recommend just using something like Couch to 5K to develop your capacity to do that.

Soooo it'll be better to just run?

Yes. Running is really simple.

At entry level just focusing on continuous running gives most benefit.

To put things in context, I'm a regular marathon and ultra runner. Most of my training is constant pace.

Oh okay. Cool, yeah I'm trying to increase my endurance but I can't run for very long. Maybe jog.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far.

Well done.

I usually walk/jog/run for 30 minutes. Sometimes I switch the incline up while I'm walking.

I would generally avoid a sprint interval training programme before the person looking for it can run for at least an hour.

In all honesty the is a lot of misinformation about the value of HIIT and you'll get far more benefit from working up to 30 minutes of continuous running.

Rather than design a plan for that I'd recommend just using something like Couch to 5K to develop your capacity to do that.

Soooo it'll be better to just run? What does couch to 5k mean?

C25K is a 9 week running program designed to get you from a very low level to running 30+ minutes in 9 weeks. There's an app from zen labs or you can download a print copy to work from.

It generally works better outside than on the treadmill.

Oh okay then. Nice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well done.

Soooo it'll be better to just run?

Yes. Running is really simple.

At entry level just focusing on continuous running gives most benefit.

To put things in context, I'm a regular marathon and ultra runner. Most of my training is constant pace.

Oh okay. Cool, yeah I'm trying to increase my endurance but I can't run for very long. Maybe jog.

running and jogging are the same thing
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    its July in 2 days, i don't think 20lbs by then is realistic :laugh: or by august for that matter. you should be aiming for 1lb per week max.

Oh I meant by the end of July, or maybe halfway through August? Is 2 pounds a week still safe? I have a deadline.

It's debatable whether or not it's safe and the deficit and tactics typically employed to hit that lose rate are not sustainable for most lifestyles and often results in inconsistent adherence, sub-par results, and subsequent frustration.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hello, I usually use the treadmill to exercise and I've lost 30 something pounds so far. I'd like to lose 20 more by July or August and I was wondering if HIIT (think that's how you say it) would maximize my results. How is it best done?

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

Exercise comes with adaptation which means your body will get more efficient (translation - burn less calories) as you continue doing the same thing. For this reason, I think it would be beneficial to add different treadmill workouts here and there and / or progressively increase your existing workout each week.

NO, actually it won't.

However, as you lose weight, you'll burn fewer calories going the same distance, and as you get more efficient, you'll be able to go farther in the same time, or do the same distance in less time(which results in greater calorie burns). But it really doesn't matter how often you run or what patterns you run for calorie burn.

That being said. The best way to maximize weight(fat) loss is to get your diet under control.

I thought the fatter you were, the more calories you burned? But like your body gets used to doing on workout after a bit doesn't it?

Yes, as you get better at running, you'll be able to do it faster, but that's not the same as changing the amount of calories burned.

A hypothetical 180 lb 5 ft tall man will burn approximately the same calories when running a mile as a 180 lb 6 foot tall man. And yes this has been studied and tested extensively. Here's a good place to start.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

Yes, as you get better at running, you'll be able to do it faster, but that's not the same as changing the amount of calories burned.

A hypothetical 180 lb 5 ft tall man will burn approximately the same calories when running a mile as a 180 lb 6 foot tall man. And yes this has been studied and tested extensively. Here's a good place to start.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/

Okay then. So the more I lose, the harder I must work?
  • stanmann571
    edited June 2018
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

Yes, but the more you run, the less perceived effort you'll put out.

At 230 lbs(my current weight) I can run 3 miles in about 35 minutes. I could run 3 miles in about the same time when I was at 245. It's a lot more fun today than it was 15 lbs ago. And as I get down in weight, it gets even more fun, and I get faster.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

not really. your deficit should come from your food, don't rely on exercise to create it, because what happens if you cant work out?
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

Hi Leo, how do we figure our body type? I think if I figure this out, I will be better able to be confident I will progress in a workout plan. thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    atkhorses wrote: »
    HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Is a good way to burn calories and fat? Do you know your body type?

Hi Leo, how do we figure our body type? I think if I figure this out, I will be better able to be confident I will progress in a workout plan. thanks!

look in the mirror... body types being related to diet or exercise isn't a thing
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's utterly irrelevant.

Quick leg count is all you need to determine if you can run or not. Optimum number is two.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

It's utterly irrelevant.

Quick leg count is all you need to determine if you can run or not. Optimum number is two.

Two what? Steps?
  • Jayfeather15
    edited June 2018
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

not really. your deficit should come from your food, don't rely on exercise to create it, because what happens if you cant work out?

So is the way MFP operates really effective? Like you just have to stay under your calorie goal and if you exercise you have extra calories to spend? I mean people say on here it doesn't matter what you eat, just stay under the goal. I've still been trying to eat healthy just in case though. Yesterday I wasn't able to eat anything the whole day because I was out and I binged on chips and a Subway sandwich. Plus two helpings of ice cream. Will that hurt me much? I mean I just got done working out just now.
  • stanmann571
    Options

It's utterly irrelevant.

Two what? Steps?

legs :)
  • stanmann571
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

So is the way MFP operates really effective? Like you just have to stay under your calorie goal and if you exercise you have extra calories to spend? I mean people say on here it doesn't matter what you eat, just stay under the goal. I've still been trying to eat healthy just in case though. Yesterday I wasn't able to eat anything the whole day because I was out and I binged on chips and a Subway sandwich. Plus two helpings of ice cream. Will that hurt me much? I mean I just got done working out just now.

One day is one day.

Overrestriction tends to lead to indulgence.

If you know you're going to be out, you can plan in advance what you want to eat that fits within your calorie budget.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with chips or subway, if you fit them in your budget. For that matter nothing wrong with ice cream either, although it's harder to make it fit.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

yes MFP works as a tool to lose weight...

log your binge, that'll tell you whether you're over your weekly calories. one high day wont necessarily matter if you are under the rest.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

yes MFP works as a tool to lose weight...

log your binge, that'll tell you whether you're over your weekly calories. one high day wont necessarily matter if you are under the rest.

Oh I didn't log it. I just decided to get back on track the next day.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

Need leaner legs
    Get rid of love handles

Thank you!

NO, actually it won't.

One day is one day.

Overrestriction tends to lead to indulgence.

If you know you're going to be out, you can plan in advance what you want to eat that fits within your calorie budget.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with chips or subway, if you fit them in your budget. For that matter nothing wrong with ice cream either, although it's harder to make it fit.

Oh, well that's good. I'm trying not to restrict myself too much but it's hard resisting going back for seconds when I do. 😁
  • Jayfeather15
    Options

It's utterly irrelevant.

Two what? Steps?

legs :)

Oh, lol.